How do you like the bracelet on the G-800BD/G-800D?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cal..45

Thread: How do you like the bracelet on the G-800BD/G-800D?

How do you like the bracelet on the G-800BD/G-800D?

Hi Guys,

At the end of last year, I noticed a G-800D in a store window, walked in, tried it out and loved it but didn't have the money on me (around 100EUR or 140USD). I told them I would be back around Christmas to get it, but never got around to it as I was spending my "watch money" on a DW-5600E, GD-350-8, and, most recently, on a PRG-270D. That last purchase made me really appreciate CASIO's metal bracelets, and today I saw this thread on the capabilities of the G-9000 module: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new...n-1016600.html, which got me thinking of the G-800D again. I don't have a Mudman, old or new, but love the Gulfman, Riseman, and Rangeman, so I know a Mudman is somewhere in the cards for me. I can always get the G-9300 around here, but I fear that the older G-9000 are getting harder to find nowadays, and especially so the G-900BD/D, which I hadn't seen anywhere else in stores.

The only thing stopping me is not knowing whether the bracelet on the G-800D is of the same high quality and as comfortable as the one on the PRG-270D. I am also hesitant because of the price, which is not insubstantial for me, given that this is not a solar/atomic or a fancy new model. How does the battery hold up in those watches? I have a feeling this particular G-800D has been sitting in the store window for years, and I am a little fearful of the ability of these people to change the battery without ruining the water resistance of the watch, nor do I trust myself with it.

I would love to be able to use this watch in an office environment as well, which is why I would rather get the metal-bracelet "Mudman" than the regular G-9000 Mudman with its resin look and hard-to-press buttons. Since this watch is the 800D and not the 800BD, it doesn't have the IP coating on the bracelet, but if you have any observations on the scratch-resistance of these, please, pass them on. It is also my impression that the stainless steel bracelets on G-Shocks tend to be made of folded metal and not solid links, which makes them lighter, but are there downsides to this? (I am thinking of the bands on the GW-2500 and 3500 here, I am not sure if the G-800D uses a similar bracelet).

So, could anyone, please, advice me on how they like the G-900BD/D bracelet? I know it is a rare model, but I have read a few reviews on it on this forum, and I know there is no better place to ask. I trust your opinion and I especially hope that cal..45 will chime in as I believe he has (or had) a G-900BD (judging by his avatar), and I know he doesn't pull his punches when it comes to being critical or CASIO when he doesn't like something (just kidding!)

Any advice is very welcome! Thank you all!

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: How do you like the bracelet on the G-800BD/G-800D?

Hi alex, here I am lol

My G-800BD's bracelet is extremely comfortable to wear, much more than the G-9000's resin strap. Don't worry about the battery, presuming the G-800D was just sitting in the store without any alarms activated, the battery should be almost as good as new, it houses a big CR2025 Lithium. For G-Shock standards the G-800 is not a big watch, nor is it very thick. Besides the 5600 models, it is one of the smallest G's around which makes it suitable well under cuffs. My black coating has hold up very well so far and I can't see any disadvantages from the folded links to solid ones (they look like solid but are hollow). Compared to the G-9000, the buttons are a lot easier to press, but they are also more recessed, meaning you must probably use the nails to push them with exception of the light button. All in all the G-800 is still one of my favorite G's after all this years and the module is still one of the best made to date, so there is not much I don't like about it, other than the current time is not shown in the stopwatch mode (but that same complaint I have about the G-9000 and the G-7900).

cheers
    alexs12 likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Re: How do you like the bracelet on the G-800BD/G-800D?

Thank you, sir. That's all I needed to hear (metaphorically speaking). I will be sure to post some pictures in a couple of weeks when I get it (right after I get my paycheck).

Thread Information