How do you set the time for the DW 5525 ?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Mike K

Thread: How do you set the time for the DW 5525 ?

How do you set the time for the DW 5525 ?

Hello. 2 weeks ago I bought a Gshock DW 5525 which is a solar atomic watch. I have no idea how to set it. I read the manual and I tried to make my watch search for a signal but my Level Indicator always remain at one. I also tried leaving it out in the sun for 10 minutes and nothing happened either.Over night I would leave it by a window but it would not be synced when I wake up.

I would really like help or tips on how to set a solar atomic watch because this is my first one that I have bought. The watch was $180 and it came in the official case and everything and also included warranty.

Here's a picture of the watch if you are not familiar with it. If anyone has this watch or one of the similar models can I please have a step by step tutorial on how to sync and adjust the time ?

Name:  gshockhelp.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  9.7 KB

Also I would like to add that this is not my picture of the watch but a google image of it.

Re: How do you set the time for the DW 5525 ?

Welcome to Watchuseek!

Unfortunately, "a question" such as this isn't necessarily a "Frequently Asked Question," which is why nobody saw and answered this while it was in the "FAQ" section.

Quote Originally Posted by SamG528 View Post
    I have no idea how to set it.
    Start by setting the watch to the correct "home city."

I read the manual and I tried to make my watch search for a signal but my Level Indicator always remain at one.
    If you're trying to make your watch search for a signal (aka attempting a manual synch) during daylight hours, your watch's remaining at "L 1" isn't a surprise. The radio signals these watches receive are much like AM or shortwave radio signals, and travel much further at night when the earth's atmosphere is quiet. See these maps from NIST: Coverage Area for NIST Radio Station WWVB

I also tried leaving it out in the sun for 10 minutes and nothing happened either.
    SOMETHING happened -- you charged your watch a very small amount! (Speaking of that, what IS your watch's charge level? If it's at Medium or above, it should still receive correctly.)

The solar feature has (next to) nothing to do with the atomic feature, though, so leaving it in the sun really isn't going to help the watch synchronize.

If anyone has this watch or one of the similar models can I please have a step by step tutorial on how to sync and adjust the time ?
    ALL solar/atomic models work pretty much the same way. IF your home city is set correctly, that will tell the watch WHICH of the different radio signals around the globe it should be listening for. A North American "home city" means that the watch will try to receive the WWVB signal out of Colorado. A Japanese "home city" means that the watch will try to receive a Japanese signal, etc.

Make sure that "auto receive" is turned ON, and your watch should automatically receive the signal overnight. Depending on where you live, you may have to put the watch in different places in your home until you find a location that gets good reception. If you live in an apartment building on the east coast of the US, you'll probably have worse reception than someone living in the suburbs in Iowa. If you're a night owl, you might try walking around while your watch tries to synchronize, and see if you can find a location where it shows a "level 3" signal.
    JohnQFord, d2mac, MCZK and 2 others like this.

Re: How do you set the time for the DW 5525 ?

Mike explained everything and also, use the manual. It's all written there in a very simple way so everyone can understand.

Thread Information