How does Solar work?

Thread: How does Solar work?

How does Solar work?

I mean, where on the watch is the solar panel?

How does it hold up for prolonged office wear under long sleeves in the UK (i.e. not much sun)?

How long do you get before the next "charge" is needed?

Does it ever require battery change...

I need a 101 on this, I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Adrian.

Re: How does Solar work?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I mean, where on the watch is the solar panel?

How does it hold up for prolonged office wear under long sleeves in the UK (i.e. not much sun)?

How long do you get before the next "charge" is needed?

Does it ever require battery change...

I need a 101 on this, I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Adrian.
    Hello there Adrian

On some models (analogues I think), the solar panel is hidden behind the watch dial. On other models, the solar panel surrounds the lcd and is visible as a blue/black panel.

I wear a solar in the UK all the time, even under shirtsleeves in winter and spending long periods in a dark drawer, there is never any worry about it losing charge. Some members obsess about it dropping from 'high' to 'medium' -- this is not a concern for me. I have had zero issues with the tough solar charging system. It can run for 6 months with no light, and it stays charged just from ambient light in the room--- you don't really need to 'sunbathe' your watch for it to keep working.

A battery change may be needed in future once the battery is worn out. They can only take so many charge/discharge cycles, although I have not heard of any of the recent models needing a battery change. There has been much discussion of this on the forum and it's too early to have good data on the expected lifetimes. I think you should expect at least 10 years from a battery, and it will probably last much longer.

Go for it without hesitation!

Agreed. My 3 solar watches can charge from the available light in the room and never need special charging.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can find a lot of comment on the relative merits of solar versus conventional battery powered g-shocks.

I think the fairest way to view it is that the solar powered G's have not really been around long enough to say truly what is the longevity of their power cell. Meantime, the non-solar G-Shock has indeed shown that you can expect 10 year minimum from their battery.

So, one way to look at it is that there is no reason not to buy solar - there is no demonstrated weakness in the battery. You could ask why would you trust it, or why would you not trust it.

For me personally I find that most of the G's I am interested in happen to be solar-atomic featured. This doesn't bother me or worry me.

Thread Information