how to dye the G letter ? please help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By babola

Thread: how to dye the G letter ? please help

how to dye the G letter ? please help

I would like to know if there is a simple way of making a slight change on my G7710 : dye in black the yellow G letter of the light button.
    I've got no experience at all at this stuff, maybe someone can explain me how it is usually done.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: how to dye the G letter ? please help

It isn't that hard, but some ground rules should be followed. Since you are about to cover the lighter colored letter with darker paint, it's best to leave the letter as is and not going thru existing paint removal process, just cover the existing one with black paint.

I use enamel model paint (Tamiya, Humbrol, Testors...any of them should do just fine), and stay away from acrylic ones whenever possible for this type of work.

See if you can find some standard enamel paint thinner, or pick the one from the model shop where you get the model paint from. I mostly use Tamiya enamel paint brand and Tamiya enamel thinner.

Whatever you decide, DO NOT use the nail polish remover of either acetone or non-acetone kind. This will almost certainly destroy the light button as it's made of plastic, not the same resin material used for band and bezel.

Now apply the thin layer (1st coat) of black paint on top of the LE button. Don't worry about smearing, it's suppose to be like that, you will remove it later.
    Make sure the paint is thinned enough so it doesn't create thick layer that would be hard to remove later without affecting the paint inside the letter groove. Wait for about 1-2 hours for the first coat to dry off. Repaint with second coat. Wait for about 1 hour to dry off. I normaly remove the watch from the area where dust may settle on top of the paint. I just put it in a drawer for about an hour or so.

Now, find a thin cloth (bed sheet type or similar is best, do not use flannel, fleece or towel type fabric). Soak one corner of the cloth lightly in the enamel paint thinner. Wait for about 5-10 seconds for the thinner to evaporate a little, and while still wet stretch it lightly over your forefinger tip and apply an even light swipe over the top of the LE button. DO NOT press inwards. Repeat the swipe as necessary, you will notice that with every swipe there will be less and less smearing on the button and the only paint left should be the one inside of the G letter groove on LE button.

I you need to re-soak the cloth with thinner, do that...just make sure you allow for the thinner to evaporate a little before you continue with the next swipe.

That's all really...let us know how it goes, bud!

cheers!
    StephenWatch likes this.

Thank you very much Babola, for these precise explanations.
    I am going to look for the model paint and thinner during the week end... and I'll post when it's done...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like how I used to do raised letters on tires and speedometers on model cars when I was a kid.

Not easy to find this non acrylic enamel in town... so I ordered it on ebay, now I hope it won't be too long to arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    Now apply the thin layer (1st coat) of black paint on top of the LE button.
    Hi Babola
    I received the black paint, now waiting for the thinner to come in, and I'll do the painting.
    Just wanted to check that I must use a paintbrush to paint on top of the LE button with the black enamel.
    Thanx
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    Hi Babola
    I received the black paint, now waiting for the thinner to come in, and I'll do the painting.
    Just wanted to check that I must use a paintbrush to paint on top of the LE button with the black enamel.
    Thanx
    I'd definitely suggest using a fine paintbrush to do the job. You can use other 'tools' normally available to you at home but I'd refrain from doing so, your call

I normaly use size 0 and 00 fine modeler paintbrushes for painting bezel txt, like the ones you can get at art supplies or model/hobby shops.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    I'd definitely suggest using a fine paintbrush to do the job. You can use other 'tools' normally available to you at home but I'd refrain from doing so, your call

I normaly use size 0 and 00 fine modeler paintbrushes for painting bezel txt, like the ones you can get at art supplies or model/hobby shops.

Good luck!
    Got it, thanx :)
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Here is the G7710 after cosmetic face treatment : black G. (also the strap is not the original one, it's the DW9052 one).
    Thanks Babola for your explanations. I'm satisfied with the result and even though my iphone camera doesn't convey the result properly, I think the G7710 looks much better without the yellow G, more elegant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey buddy - glad it all worked out fine for you in the end!

Great result for a first attempt, really

Thread Information