how to get clean camo shapes?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cowholic

Thread: how to get clean camo shapes?

how to get clean camo shapes?

i've read almost every thread related to dying job and i finally decided to dye my 6900's strap, too! :)
    because i collect everything with cow pattern, so why not a strap with cow pattern?

i've dyed 3 straps with 3 different masking tapes ('normal office' tape, duct tape, electrical tape) with rit (black) and the result was....

Name:  IMG_6627.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  222.2 KB

terrible!

what tape i ever used, it started to peel off at the edge (i've tried with really hot water and ~50 degrees)
    and it's really difficult to get clean shapes.

does anyone know how to get clean shapes with which tape and under what degree?
    i desperately want to have a strap with cow pattern! HELP!
    Chrisek likes this.

Re: how to get clean camo shapes?

For camo dye, use vinyl sticker. Why don't you print cow patterns off the internet, atleast you have something to trace when you cut your patterns. I haven't tried dyeing yet, i have done extensive research about it though. Hope that helps.

can't help with dye job question.. but slingshox posted an update on their fb and i was just browsing their site and found these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camo.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	1190825

the animal prints just launched as well.. Products | SlingShox

I don't own any of their stuff so don't know if its any good.. but just thought I would share in case anyone was interested..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_G-shock View Post
    For camo dye, use vinyl sticker. Why don't you print cow patterns off the internet, atleast you have something to trace when you cut your patterns. I haven't tried dyeing yet, i have done extensive research about it though. Hope that helps.
    I agree -- unlike some other members here, I've never had any success with paper masking tapes. I've done a fair bit of dying, though I haven't had much success with my camo attempts. Unlike the OP, I was looking for a somewhat blurred edge, rather than a sharp and distinct edge.

Most of the paper masking tape I used came off in the simmering water in seconds, as if the heat of the water was too much for the adhesive.

I tried using this Nexcare Waterproof first aid tape, which I've used VERY successfully for first aid applications: NXCR WP PREMIUM TAPE: Medicine Cabinet : Walmart.com

As they say, "it does exactly what it says on the tin" -- it's from 3M, who are experts in adhesives, and it stuck nicely to my bezels in boiling water! (It also sticks nicely to skin, even when active in hot and humid weather, and it's made of a "microfoam" so it's stretchable -- which lets it conform to curves and irregular shapes like knuckles and watch bezels!)

Unfortunately, that same great adhesive that lets the tape stick through a dye bath kept MY masked edges nice and sharp, which wasn't at all what I was looking for, but sounds exactly like what the OP wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_G-shock View Post
    i thought other duct tapes are better than vinyl tapes, but it makes sense :) thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    the animal prints just launched as well.. Products | SlingShox
    wow, on the site you can find every pattern! thats really cool :) thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    I tried using this Nexcare Waterproof first aid tape, which I've used VERY successfully for first aid applications: NXCR WP PREMIUM TAPE: Medicine Cabinet : Walmart.com

As they say, "it does exactly what it says on the tin" -- it's from 3M, who are experts in adhesives, and it stuck nicely to my bezels in boiling water! (It also sticks nicely to skin, even when active in hot and humid weather, and it's made of a "microfoam" so it's stretchable -- which lets it conform to curves and irregular shapes like knuckles and watch bezels!)
    thaaaanks for the info!! :) i'll purchase some of them you mentioned and i hope it'll be successfull this time ><

I've always used duct tape. I buy it in sheets and cut out different random shapes, then overlap them on the band and bezel.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thread Information