How it's made...Colorful G-Shock displays
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: How it's made...Colorful G-Shock displays

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How it's made...Colorful G-Shock displays

Hello my fellow G-shock enthusiasts. I wanted to share with you guys a little mad science project that I conducted. I am a big fan of G's with colored displays, and I have often wondered what construction methods Casio used to achieve the look. As most of you know, I have been experimenting with colored gel filters with good results, but still the end product is just not quite as readable as colored displays from the factory. Through my research here, I found that most theories concluded that there was a transparent sheet of whatever color behind the LCD but in front of the rear reflective sheet that is attached to the back of the LCD with adhesive. Well tonight I discovered (others may have already known this) that it may often be much simpler than that. On some G-Shocks with colored displays there is simply a colored front polarizing sheet.

The watch I chose for this experiment was the blue 8900. I chose this watch because I have always loved the blue display and wondered how it worked, as well as the fact that the 8900 is often a relatively inexpensive model. Therefore, I have been keeping my eye on ebay for a cheap used one to use for science. Well, in a short period of time (and with some luck maybe) I was able to pick up a few that were in pretty bad condition. Of course condition didn't matter to me, as long as the module was working. I bought a few of them because I figured I could use one as a guinea pig to disassemble and figure out how the colored display was constructed, but my real hopes were that once I figured it out I may be able to harvest the materials to use on another watch. Turns out I may be able to do just that.

Here's the module from the watch as it comes from the factory. Kind of a "negative" display, but the negative part is blue, and the results are much more readable than most negative displays.

I first suspected that the blue may be in the front polarizer the other day, when I was wearing my own personal version of this watch and noticed something strange. I noticed that when wearing polarized shades and looking at this watch at an angle, unlike other G-Shocks which completely black out, on this watch only the digits blacked out but you could still read the display. Like this:

Also, I noticed that when looking at this watch straight on with polarized shades the blue appeared black. Like this:

I wasn't really sure what to make of this, but I knew this obviously had something to do with the polarization film. This really got my hopes up that the blue color may come from the front polarizer, and could likely be harvested easily (and more importantly, possibly be used on other watches without disassembling the module).

Well tonight, I found that my hopes were true. I took the 8900 apart and carefully removed the front polarizer, and lo and behold...IT WAS BLUE

And luckily because the 8900 has such a big display, this sheet can now be used to turn other watches blue, simply by removing the front polarizer and doing a mod similar to reversing a display. Here is the blue polarizer sitting atop a 1000 series Frogman module that I had in my parts bin, that just so happened to already have the front polarizer removed from a former project that was halted in progress.

You can see that the polarizer needs to be turned sideways to achieve the desired effect, but again, due to the size of the 8900 there is plenty of material to cut it to whatever size needed. If you place the polarizer the other way, the digits turn blue with a normal gray background.

Obviously, if I were to make a watch using this material, I would have to find a way to attach it to the module because it no longer has the adhesive, but I'm sure I could figure something out. I bet I could even get it to stay in place with a press fit if I cut it properly. Also, in my haste to complete this experiment (I was just trying to figure out it's construction after all) I scratched the film a good bit when I was removing it and scraping off the adhesive. On my next try (I have two more of these modules), I may try to soak it in 99% alcohol to help remove the adhesive more delicately.

My results also beg one question. Is there anyone who knows of a source for polarizing sheets in bright colors like blue and red?? I have searched and spoken with other members via PM, and the best we could find was amber. However, if someone could find a good source, we could do these mods to our hearts desire. Until then, I will keep searching for heavily used 8900's on ebay to scavenge. As for now, I have the material to make a blue display, I just have to wait until I come up with the idea of which watch I want to use it on. It definitely looks cool on the frog...Aren't there rumors of a blue icerc Frogman this summer? Hmmm? We'll have to wait and see.

Take care friends

Re: How it's made...Colorful G-Shock displays

depends on the module, as whether you need to remove its own polarize film or not
    then use the polarize film from 3d glass
    then the jelly film that you been using
    of course, it would be thicker than the way you like, but that's the way it is for me, I am fully satisfied after you and whatishisname shared with us about the jelly film

thanks for sharing, I admire you for all the researchings and improving in modding Gshocks
    Knives and Lint and TRSCP like this.

Awesome discovery, K&L.! You've just unlocked so many new possibilities for modding! I am guessing colorful polarized films shouldn't be too hard to find, considering that they are widely used on sunglasses? Also, I'm wondering - can the regular polarizers be 'dyed' to gey the desired effect?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    depends on the module, as whether you need to remove its own polarize film or not
    then use the polarize film from 3d glass
    then the jelly film that you been using
    of course, it would be thicker than the way you like, but that's the way it is for me, I am fully satisfied after you and whatishisname shared with us about the jelly film

thanks for sharing, I admire you for all the researchings and improving in modding Gshocks

Thanks man. I'm glad to be able to add something to all of the information I have learned from all of the great members here.

I think you are right, I think Casio has different ways of making colored displays. I think that there are some that probably use the method I found in older threads here, and some (maybe more recently perhaps) use colored polarizer.

I also agree that the results using the gel filters are more than satisfactory, with most colors. However, I have not been able to achieve very readable displays on filters using very dark colors like blue. That's where this method may come in, because the contrast with the white digits makes for a much more readable display.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsrailfan View Post
    Awesome discovery, K&L.! You've just unlocked so many new possibilities for modding! I am guessing colorful polarized films shouldn't be too hard to find, considering that they are widely used on sunglasses? Also, I'm wondering - can the regular polarizers be 'dyed' to gey the desired effect?
    Many thanks...Yea, I would think that colored polarizer film should be out there somewhere. Hopefully someone who knows of a source may stumble upon this thread and throw us a bone. It might be worth a call or email to polarization.com (the source referred to in many threads on reversing displays), and see if they have any insight.

Thank you, k&l. that confirms my suspicion that the purple/pink layer in the crystal of my g-6900cc also acts as polarizer. At first i thought they're two layer stick together, polarizer at the top then the pink filter below it but your post proved that that's not the way it works..

So, if i remove it and turn sideways, it'll make the watch white with pink digit? But removing it seems out of question for me since it located inside the crystal. I don't think i can scrape it carefully without damaging the glass :(

I type butter on mah phon
    Knives and Lint likes this.

Very cool post!
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by domoon View Post
    Thank you, k&l. that confirms my suspicion that the purple/pink layer in the crystal of my g-6900cc also acts as polarizer. At first i thought they're two layer stick together, polarizer at the top then the pink filter below it but your post proved that that's not the way it works..

So, if i remove it and turn sideways, it'll make the watch white with pink digit? But removing it seems out of question for me since it located inside the crystal. I don't think i can scrape it carefully without damaging the glass :(

I can't say for certain that its the same way on your 6900, but on the 8900 it is definitely that way.

Yea, it is quite difficult to remove without damaging either the LCD or especially the polarizer film. I had to use an Xacto knife to carefully get beneath one corner of the polarizer and then slowly and gently wedge the blade in between the film and the LCD until I got it completely off. I ended up disassembling the module to have better access to the film without risk of tearing it. I would not suggest it unless you are using a watch that is spare parts. Also, I only had enough material to turn it sideways because surprisingly the LCD on the 8900 is larger than that of the Frog.

It is NOT same way on dw-6900
    I was planing to use my pinky dw-6900 and lcd cover is not transperent as on 8900. It it mirror one side and sort of painted pink other. Coud not separate them without the damage. And I gave up on idea to make color funky frogman. Looking for great source different color negative polirised films. Great idea, k&l, and I though all funny colors lcd same as dw-6900
    Last edited by FJay Iceberg White; January 30th, 2016 at 06:06.
    raceclawt and Knives and Lint like this.

Loving your post K&L :) Great read. Let's see what will happen next :) Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Cool post! And i love the mods that you have done in the past with coloured screens..

seeing that its just a sheet makes me wonder why casio has become so stingy with putting out coloured displays. Its mostly just the boring pos or neg plain displays these days. Hope to see more coloured display from them this year. The recently released GD-X6900RD would have looked a lot better with a red display.
    Brains and Knives and Lint like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information