How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change - Page 5
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change

as you can see, this topic has been done to death and most of it you can disregard cos we have ample sunlight here. all you need to do is first, read the manual. it covers the times it takes to move from one level to the next. then just leave it on a sunny window sill or better still, somewhere in direct sun.
    a couple days of full sun should get you pretty close to a full tank (i have no idea where ppl are getting WEEKS from for less than half a charge)

dont worry about it getting too hot, itll get just as hot on your arm lying in the sun at the beach, if it gets REALLY hot, the lcd may black out but thats completely normal and is detailed in the manual (you really should read it). leaving it on the dash of your car for extended periods is a no no tho.

the main thing to remember is, just cos its not 100% full doesnt mean its the end of the world, just top it up whenever you can and try not to let it run low too often. dont end up being one of those ppl that incessantly obsess over their G, the whole point of them is that theyre worry free.

oh and read the damn manual
    Grandma's chicken salad

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Easier said than done if you have a collection.

I leave mine in the window for a couple of weeks at a time throughout the year.
    Never in direct sunlight as the metal watches get really hot and direct sun will degrade plastic over time.
    yes, some plastics but not resin when spending brief (relative to the life of the watch) periods charging
    Dxnnis likes this.
    Grandma's chicken salad

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

most of my collection consist of Tough Solar watches, having to charge them one by one using coolwire was quite tiring. I have seen some custom made acrylic solar charging stations, similar to the official one but it cost around 150usd. Currently im using this method youtube, "Charge your Tough Solar G-Shocks for just 5USD?"

just leave it charging overnight in my bedroom. charges up well with almost no heat. Planning to add more LED strip into that box for faster charging. For 5 bucks its worth trying!
    Dxnnis and coltpeacemaker041 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    (i have no idea where ppl are getting WEEKS from for less than half a charge)
    You never been to the UK in winter then?
    Forgive me if I forget to add 'IMO' after every post.
    I can only express my opinion and if you don't like it tough!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    You never been to the UK in winter then?
    That kinda idea. Things for one is not problematic for other.
    Tetsu Tekubi likes this.
    It should be special!

Tetsu,
    People do get weeks in case of indirect sunlight, cloudy days and completely dead "vintage" watch which was sitting for a long time dead. All conditions met you will get weeks.
    Normal new watch in direct sunlight should take few hours and that's it.
    Dxnnis and coltpeacemaker041 like this.
    It should be special!

1. Solar panels have fixed maximum output specified in watts per unit surface area, along with a given cell voltage depending on the construction. There is a maximum for the solar panel. Once you hit the maximum output of the panel, it will NOT generate any more power, no matter how much light you shine on it. For the eeny weeny solar panels on G-Shocks, the output is miniscule, probably on the order of a few mWs of power or less.

2. High temperatures reduce solar panel efficiency. For silicon cells, you go from 25% efficiency at near 0 deg C to 18-ish% at 50 deg C.

3. Angle of incidence is a serious problem. it doesn't matter how bright the outside sun is - the watch's face is a tiny aperture and not much of it falls onto the watch's solar cells. If the light strikes the watch at any angle other than 90 degrees perpendicular to the cell, the solar cell will not create maximum power.

4. The G-Shock solar watch batteries are sometimes highly variable in terms of quality. Some are not as good as others due to manufacturing tolerances, and some end up damaged by being fully discharged over years in a dark place.

5. The G-Shock solar watch battery charge indicator has been known to vary between watches. Some watches are peculiar in that they will register "M" battery fullness no matter what you do. This may be a peculiarity of that particular watch.

If you tape a G-shock facing a cool LED light source / bulb for weeks on end, and the battery charge indicator doesn't budge, then you can try changing the battery. If, after charging with the new battery, the battery charge indicator doesn't budge, it most likely is a peculiarity of that specific watch.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 8.49.02 AM.png
Views: 36
Size:  31.8 KB

My adrenaline red went from 3/4 to high in appx 24 between sun and lamp... Then packed up and will check it on the 14th.

PS, I'm going to set up an old phone with only the G app on it where I store my solar. I noticed the app is a serious battery hog. I don't see a need for 4x sync'd daily. I didn't buy it for the Bluetooth, but for its glorious beauty.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call sign: Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

lvt

Difference in sizes of the solar panels definitely result in different power output. Other factor is battery size, the smaller the battery is, the faster it will reach H level, but it also will go down faster.

To compare, G-shock watches use the CTL1616 rechargeable battery with 18mA capacity while Citizen watches use a CTL621 with only a couple of mA. So naturally you shouldn't expect your G-shock watch to charge as fast as a Citizen Eco-Drive watch.
    coltpeacemaker041 likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Perth Western Australia (born and family) but ATM I'm based in Queensland AUS in Townsville

Thanks guys for the info! I've read and heard so many variations in the correct procedure regarding charging! My GWB-5600 even after a few has hasn't fully charged but I haven't really given it much full sun yet. I'm just going to go about my normal day and let the watch charge at its own rate..

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by coltpeacemaker041; 1 Week Ago at 03:22.
    Rocket1991 and Facelessman like this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information