How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change - Page 7
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    CC

Re: How long do solar tough Gshock squares take to full change

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    i have, bought as miserable as UK summers ;) (yet the tube stays the same gross temperature all year round) but completely irrelevant to the OP's location. also an unusual way to answer any question by providing the worse case scenario which only relates to a specific region, with no disclaimers either.
    My initial comment 'Can take a week or two' as opposed to 'Will take a week or two' sort of covers all scenarios
    Plus I was replying directly to this comment...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    i have no idea where ppl are getting WEEKS from for less than half a charge)
    Which make my assessment of UK winter 'sun' perfectly valid

My Pro Trek has been in a window for 4 weeks now and is currently dead.
    Gets going then the drain of a nightly time sync. kills it again. Waiting for a bright sunny day, might take a while to come...
    Last edited by CC; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:12.
    Dxnnis and Rocket1991 like this.
    Forgive me if I forget to add 'IMO' after every post.
    I can only express my opinion and if you don't like it tough!

Mine was at about 30% and even a day and a half on a solar charger seems to make little difference to the change level. I ended up leaving it for two days on a south facing window ledge and that did the trick. I get the impression that these squares are less efficient in charging compared to some of the larger ones.

I hope this helps.

Wearing it and enjoying it is the best way of charging it. If it’s off duty then lob it on a windowsill to charge. It should hit “max” in a couple of weeks down there at this time of year.
    judg69, Rocket1991, Dxnnis and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Wearing it and enjoying it is the best way of charging it. If it’s off duty then lob it on a windowsill to charge. It should hit “max” in a couple of weeks down there at this time of year.
    not with a bluetooth square...
    it usually just hovers around 80% even after wearing for a few weeks.

Damn, and here I was thinking solar watches were supposed to be convenient....
    Rocket1991 likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

Here’s some food for thought. These are some of my solar watches sitting under a lamp on my nightstand. The lamp is a $4 LED thing.

Lux meter in play; distance plays a role in intensity of the light with this instrument.

First is from just above where one of the watches is sitting. It shows 6,700.

Second is from holding it right against the lamp; the most practical way to do that is to angle the gooseneck upwards and put the watches face down on it.

That one shows 72,000 lux. Neat.

And for reference, here is the manual for the 3159 module (in the GW-M5610 and GW-5000 watches):

Now, I’m a little suspicious of the numbers, as sunlight seems a lot brighter than a lamp at close range. But even ignoring the $12 lux meter, I’ve never had one drop from “H.”

As long as you don’t always keep it under a sleeve or in a drawer, they’ll run fine.
    GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Guy View Post
    Here’s some food for thought. These are some of my solar watches sitting under a lamp on my nightstand. The lamp is a $4 LED thing.

Lux meter in play; distance plays a role in intensity of the light with this instrument.

First is from just above where one of the watches is sitting. It shows 6,700.

Second is from holding it right against the lamp; the most practical way to do that is to angle the gooseneck upwards and put the watches face down on it.

That one shows 72,000 lux. Neat.

And for reference, here is the manual for the 3159 module (in the GW-M5610 and GW-5000 watches):

Now, I’m a little suspicious of the numbers, as sunlight seems a lot brighter than a lamp at close range. But even ignoring the $12 lux meter, I’ve never had one drop from “H.”

As long as you don’t always keep it under a sleeve or in a drawer, they’ll run fine.
    An advantage of an LED lamp for charging solar watches is that you can make the light perpendicular to the watch dial, to get the maximum charging efficiency. Another advantage is that you can charge the watch when the sun is not out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    Hi Mr Jones. I have over 20 solar/atomic (MB-6) watches and have NEVER had any issues with them staying in the ‘H’ charge area or in successfully receiving the nightly radio synchronization at 1205 AM or 0105 AM. IMO, they are the most user-friendly, problem-free and hassle-free watches you can own. This pre-supposes of course you live in one of the regions receiving the signal transmission (Ft Collins, CO, the UK, Germany, China and two in Japan). I live in Florida and have no problems receiving the nightly synch. If you have a watch with Bluetooth & MB-6 and don’t need the Bluetooth, just don’t hook it up, and simply enjoy staying in the ‘H’ charge area and getting automatic hands-off nightly time updates via MB-6, judg69
    Life is short. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by judg69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jones82 View Post
    Hi Mr Jones. I have over 20 solar/atomic (MB-6) watches and have NEVER had any issues with them staying in the ‘H’ charge area or in successfully receiving the nightly radio synchronization at 1205 AM or 0105 AM. IMO, they are the most user-friendly, problem-free and hassle-free watches you can own. This pre-supposes of course you live in one of the regions receiving the signal transmission (Ft Collins, CO, the UK, Germany, China and two in Japan). I live in Florida and have no problems receiving the nightly synch. If you have a watch with Bluetooth & MB-6 and don’t need the Bluetooth, just don’t hook it up, and simply enjoy staying in the ‘H’ charge area and getting automatic hands-off nightly time updates via MB-6, judg69
    Sorry, my comment was meant as a joke. Sometimes it is hard to convey humor via the internet. I need to step up my emoji game I guess. Hahaha
    Anyway, I absolutely agree with everything you said. I was just kinda joking about how whenever this perennial thread pops up by the end it almost always begins to sound like solar Gs are the proverbial albatross when in fact they're anything but that. 🙂
    judg69 likes this.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001 Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205 Seiko: Tuna SBBN015 Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot Sinn: LE 556i Longines: Conquest V.H.P. G Shock: Too many...

CC

Guess I'm the only person who keeps their watch boxes in a safe then...
    Forgive me if I forget to add 'IMO' after every post.
    I can only express my opinion and if you don't like it tough!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information