How long have you owned your watches?

View Poll Results: On average, how long have you owned your watches?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Less than 6 months

8 16.00%
  • 6 months to 1 year

4 8.00%
  • 1 year

3 6.00%
  • 2 years

9 18.00%
  • 3 years

3 6.00%
  • 4 years

2 4.00%
  • 5 years or more

21 42.00%

Thread: How long have you owned your watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long have you owned your watches?

I thought this might be an instructive exercise, and having asked my database to do the arithmetic I was presented with a slightly alarming result...

It may not have helped that in the last month I have sold two and bought one.

Here's my result -

Report for time owned

Number of entries: 8

Minimum value: 0.08 years
    Maximum value: 1.52 years

Average: 0.61 years

If I remember, I might run this report and poll again in a year's time to see if I improve!
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: How long have you owned your watches?

Trouble with this poll is that pretty much most of us are adding to the collection all the time so the constant result of the poll will be the first or second option, which will never give an accurate result statistically.

In my case the oldest G is 3 years, though I have watches I have owned for longer, for example I still have a watch that is over 30 years old (in my ownership from new)
    Individual G's I own are older than the 3 years I have been buying them but that is the oldest date of MY ownership, some are originally 15ish years old others much newer.

limitations of any database will be how the information is inputted due to the question.

Ever since I became a WIS, the frequency of watches incoming and outgoing has dramatically increased both ways.

My 2 oldest G-Shocks are 10 years old, bought new, and till date still with me. The other majority of watches dates between 2005 till today.

Interesting poll, though. I'm curious as well that mathematics can generate data that can reflect human/individual behavior. Good stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am going buy the oldest one in my collection. 8 years.
    Stan The Man

Careful what you wish for. YOU MAY GET IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stan2323 View Post
    I am going buy the oldest one in my collection. 8 years.
    That wouldn't be an average then, would it?
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

No that would not be the avarge but since I do not keep any kind of database I could not begin to give an avagage. I remeber the first one I got in May of 1999. Other than that who knows. But an avarage can be thrown off as you said by selling two and buying one in a month. Go back in your database and replace the numbers to what they were before you sold the two and bought one to see what they would have been. You can then put the correct # back in after your done. I am curious to see what it would have been. Maybe you should run the report monthly.

I like the poll and disscucion so far.

Just wondering what would you consider "improve"?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    It may not have helped that in the last month I have sold two and bought one.

If I remember, I might run this report and poll again in a year's time to see if I improve!
    Stan The Man

I've owned one watch for nearly 9 years, with the rest being with me from nearly a year, to one week.

I thought it would be hard to mark one of the options on the poll, as none where correct!

Quote Originally Posted by stan2323 View Post
    But an avarage can be thrown off as you said by selling two and buying one in a month. Go back in your database and replace the numbers to what they were before you sold the two and bought one to see what they would have been. You can then put the correct # back in after your done. I am curious to see what it would have been. Maybe you should run the report monthly.

Just wondering what would you consider "improve"?
    I've deleted the data for the sold watches, so would have to guess it. Both of the sold watches were bought this year, so the data wouldn't change the average by much. And I can only remove the data from the most recent purchase by deleting the whole record...

But I don't regard the recent sales and purchase as throwing the average off. If I sell a few watches a year, which I have done over the last few years, then it's an accurate reflection. Equally, if I usually have a fairly new watch, which has also been the case over the last few years, then again, it's an accurate reflection. A low average indicates either 'flipping' or 'regular buying' - both of which I do, to varying degrees.

By 'improving', I mean that I think I'm getting better at not buying watches which I will later sell. That means that over the coming year the average should rise.

If all goes to plan, it will fall before it rises, because I hope to sell another and buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpants View Post
    I've owned one watch for nearly 9 years, with the rest being with me from nearly a year, to one week.

I thought it would be hard to mark one of the options on the poll, as none where correct!
    One of the options must be correct because together they allow a range from zero to infinity...

You can calculate an average from any group of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    By 'improving', I mean that I think I'm getting better at not buying watches which I will later sell. That means that over the coming year the average should rise.
    I C. If I remeber correct you limit yourself to 10 watches. Without flipping that it a tough number. You would not get to see a large #. IMHO. You would have to find 10 that were better than anyothers out there. Not sure if that is possible. LOL

Anyway. Happy hunting. Hope you find the one your looking for.
    Stan The Man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information