How Long is TOO Long?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Long is TOO Long?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How Long is TOO Long?

Hi all,
    Question. I recently purchased a solar g-shock that was completely dead, I've been constantly charging it under a desk lamp for the past couple days, and putting it in sunlight here and there, when I can. I know the sunlight will charge it up faster (it's currently on a medium charge and proabably will be for a while) My question is, when I have outside in the sun, sitting charging, on the window sill of an open window, the watch gets substantially hotter than if I having charging under a lamp. How long of a period of time can I have the watch outide or on the window sill, before it's too long, and I can do damage to the watch?? (keep in mind it's about 80degrees/very sunny where I am) I've heard about people frying their watches because they left them out in the sun too long, and I want to avoid that obviously.

thanks!

Re: How Long is TOO Long?

There are a few threads around here where people describe how they put their solar G's in a container of water, then put THAT in the sun.

I use a clear glass jar that holds about a quart and it works pretty well. Sure, the water gets WARM sitting in the sun, but even when it was summer with highs of 95F, the water never got to be uncomfortably hot when I'd put my hand in it to fish the watches out.

Willy, i suggest you just mail it to me for a couple of days to wear (Hawaii has extreme levels of UV on it's mellower days) so i can send it back to you "topped up" and maybe faster overall than at your place?
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisek View Post
    Willy, i suggest you just mail it to me for a couple of days to wear (Hawaii has extreme levels of UV on it's mellower days) so i can send it back to you "topped up" and maybe faster overall than at your place?
    Haha...It's all packed up for you!...lol..

LUW

I wouldn't let the display black out from the heat, but as long as you got something blocking the UV radiation (like the glass from the window) it wouldn't be a problem. But if you want to be more cautious then necessary, put the watch in water.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

There's a joke in all this somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Stand View Post
    There's a joke in all this somewhere...
    haha...are you talking about my Thread Title? If so, I never thought about it until now....lol.

I've a couple of questions: the solar function is charged by UV rays? Isn't that damaging to the resin at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by GS_Leng View Post
    I've a couple of questions: the solar function is charged by UV rays? Isn't that damaging to the resin at the same time?
    The solar function is charged by LIGHT.

Yes, UV waves are slightly "damaging to the resin at the same time." So are oxygen, sweat, body oils, everyday household chemicals, and actually wearing the watch might result in scrapes, dings and dents.

They're G Shocks. I wear mine.

Hi Mike K, I wear my G-shocks too :) (Ok, except the oldies collection - those I like too much to risk them).

I asked about UV because I recall reading here in the forum that the solar cells are charged by the UV spectrum of light. I'll guess I'll have to read up on this a bit more.

About the resin, I was just wondering about the logic to specifically put the watch out to sun presumably for charging efficiency vs resin degradation. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, probably too trivial. Sadly, it's an obsession for me now, rather than an hobby - I hope this phase will pass soon :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information