How many of you switch out the o-rings on the buttons to ensure water resistance?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gaijin

Thread: How many of you switch out the o-rings on the buttons to ensure water resistance?

Inactive

How many of you switch out the o-rings on the buttons to ensure water resistance?

I know that it is a good idea to replace the case back gasket on occasion, but how about those button o-rings?

Inactive

Re: How many of you switch out the o-rings on the buttons to ensure water resistance?

Bump.

Re: How many of you switch out the o-rings on the buttons to ensure water resistance?

3year or battery replace

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

Depends on the condition of the o rings.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Pord View Post

I know that it is a good idea to replace the case back gasket on occasion, but how about those button o-rings?
    I certainly do not. Having removed buttons before as part of a modding exercise, I can assure you that dealing with the tiny E-clips that hold the pushers in place is an absolute pain. I had to purchase new E-clips to replace the ones I either bent or lost - plus some spares in case I ever have to deal with them again.

Unlike the caseback gasket which is easily removed/evaluated/replaced, the pusher O-rings cannot be evaluated or removed without significant effort, including removal of the module, and probable damage to the E-clips which hold the pushers in place.

Frankly, I would be very surprised to learn of anyone who has replaced the pusher O-rings themselves as part of regular maintenance/battery replacement. Further, I would not be surprised if when sent to a Casio repair facility the pusher O-rings were replaced only if the watch failed a WR test.

HTH
    MC^Timing likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I certainly do not. Having removed buttons before as part of a modding exercise, I can assure you that dealing with the tiny E-clips that hold the pushers in place is an absolute pain. I had to purchase new E-clips to replace the ones I either bent or lost - plus some spares in case I ever have to deal with them again.

Unlike the caseback gasket which is easily removed/evaluated/replaced, the pusher O-rings cannot be evaluated or removed without significant effort, including removal of the module, and probable damage to the E-clips which hold the pushers in place.

Frankly, I would be very surprised to learn of anyone who has replaced the pusher O-rings themselves as part of regular maintenance/battery replacement. Further, I would not be surprised if when sent to a Casio repair facility the pusher O-rings were replaced only if the watch failed a WR test.

HTH
    Okay, thank you for the comment.

I must admit that I have "serviced" them, but only on the old timers. I recently bought a DW-6100 from 1992 & cleaned it up from the inside out. I did remove the pushers & cleaned the area (you'd be AMAZED at the DNA that collects in there!). The "O" rings were still very soft & all I did was re-lube them with silicon grease before re-assembling them. I admit that I won't be wearing the watch for diving, but I'm more confident that the watch will pass a pressure test. I'm waiting for a new case back gasket & a new bezel (the old one just crumbled, but I'm not too surprised). It's probably just an anal thing to do, but it's not that hard if you have the right tools & it's worth the peace of mind for being more water tight (my opinion - no facts to back that statement up with).

I've never considered servicing them but I wonder if a needle sized liquid silicone applicator would be a good idea. Just squirt a small amount on them without trying to dis-assemble them then push them in a few times to work the silicone over the o-ring. I dont push buttons while swimming but if I was a diver with an expensive frogman I would be more concerned about it.
    Greg

Far too much hassle for me I'm afraid - if I'm ever worried about the water resistance of an old G-Shock, I just do a 'hydro mod' to it (i.e., completely fill the case with silicone oil) - that way you can be 100% certain that the o-rings are well lubricated, and there is absolutely no risk whatsoever of water entering 'cos there just isn't any room for it to occupy!

Thread Information