How my G-2310 died...what's your story?

Thread: How my G-2310 died...what's your story?

How my G-2310 died...what's your story?

Not sure where to begin, but I'm a chemistry teacher and my students found out that I've been a g-shock fanatic. I told them how I used to throw my DW-5200 against walls, the ground, etc. (in my youth) trying to break it - to no avail. I also mentioned a few other torture tests that have been documented.

Well, as you can imagine, they started after me to bring a g-shock for them to try to break. I have an old DW-8040 that needed a new battery. I kept meaning to put a new battery and bring that in. Well, that never happened - and I also didn't want the resin to break - so I brought in my painting and wake up alarm g-shock - a G-2310. Great watch that's been around the world with me. I honestly didn't think it'd break either.

So, they first dropped about 10 science books on it, from about 4 feet in the air. One side of the strap popped off, but all functions intact.

Next they took it to a stairwell, and threw it down. Still, I had confidence in my G. Well, the student really whipped it down on some stairs, and the weakest part of the watch - the screws on the backplate - gave way. The head of the screws sheered off. Unfortunately, there's really no way to get the screws out. Still I tried prying the bezel off and part of the module chipped away.

Pic of the sheered screws:

My now empty G

I can certainly save the parts, maybe find a donor G-2310... I'm not really upset, but I am surprised.

Any interesting ways your G's have met their end?
    Neil

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Re: How my G-2310 died...what's your story?

This is a perfect example of why a screw caseback G-Shock is stronger than a 4-screw caseback. I'd never considered how the screw heads could get sheared off like that. Pretty wild.

Anyway, you could probably self-tap the screws out of the resin, but then you'd need to re-thread the screw sockets with a slightly larger diameter and source the right screws to fit. It's probably more trouble than it is worth. A replacement case center would cost you $51.54, before shipping, so that's not a good way to go. The G-2310 is a pretty common watch and has several "twin" models that can share parts: The GW-2310 and the G-2300. I would keep an eye out on eBay or WUS sales and just buy yourself another G-Shock. If you have a thing for this particular design, I suggest getting the GW-2310 or G-2310R. CASIO made some nice improvements on the original module from the G-2310. Buying one of those would allow you to keep your original as a parts donor (like the band, bezel, glass, etc).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I'd love to see what happens if you dip one in liquid nitrogen for a minute or two - even to just then let it warm up and see it come back to life - no hitting it with hammers or anything (except as a phase II test perhaps).
    Last edited by MDPlatts; June 5th, 2012 at 10:52.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

As a chemistry teacher, I must say you did your G-2310 Breaking Bad, lol.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Was the drop without the straps on the watch?

I think the straps provide some protection to the caseback, which might have prevented what happened here.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    As a chemistry teacher, I must say you did your G-2310 Breaking Bad, lol.

cheers
    Holger, you are a Chemistry teatcher too?

Cheers,

Sjors

Sent using Tapatalk!
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

After the first drop of books on it, one side of the strap popped off. After the throw down on the stairs, the screws sheered off.

I keep meaning to watch that show, Breaking Bad, as EVERYONE asks me about it when they find out I teach chemistry....

Now I think I'm on the hunt for another G-23XX maybe in blue (had one and loved it), or GW-6900, or a Blue King or DGK... The latter are wishful thinking...per my lack of budget... ;-D

Neil

So total lost for the G-2310?
    Here i found someone sell his secondhand G-2310, but with no original strap
    If its with original strap, sure i will get it. G-2310 nice G-Shock, look like DW-2310

Thread Information