How old is my G-Shock? There's no batch or serial number on it...
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How old is my G-Shock? There's no batch or serial number on it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Question How old is my G-Shock? There's no batch or serial number on it...

Some G-Shock watch models come out and are made for many years to follow. Others are retired after only a couple of years. So what if you have a G-Shock watch that isn't a higher end model with a serial number and want to know how old it is -- is there any way to know? I'm not entirely sure.

But I'm thinking that there may be a method to know when the model of your particular watch was first manufactured, by checking the YEAR field. When in the settings mode and you navigate to the year, step it down until you reach the "bottom", the last year before the year indicator turns over and shows the maximum value. For instance, I have a GW-2310 and I wanted to know when it was first released. Unfortunately the sites that usually have this kind of information are having trouble, so I wasn't able to locate this. What I did was just go to the year field in settings mode and step it down, finding the year "2000". This matches the release year of the G-2300, which I know because I had researched this watch some time ago.

I'm guessing that every time CASIO makes a new batch of watches of an existing model line, their technicians do not reprogram the firmware to set the lowest year value to the current year. I think it's "burned in." So, a watch that was made in 2011 but is a model that was first made in 2000 will not show "2011" as the lowest year. It will be "2000." It sure would've been great if CASIO bothered to set the year to the production year, so you'd be able to very easily know when your watch was made.

By the way, if this YEAR value technique is accurate, then some of the on-line information provided is faulty. Case in point, the GL-110. I made a write-up of the GL-110, and from what I'd read from My GShock and Watchshock, the GL-110 first debuted in the year 2000. But I just went and checked the year value of my GL-110, and the lowest year is 1995! So that poses a few questions:

1. Was the GL-110 module first created in 1995, but the watch was later released in the year 2000?
    2. Was the GL-110 watch actually released initially in 1995, and then other variants came out later?
    3. Or, did CASIO actually produce the GL-110 in 2000, but their programming team leverage existing firmware code and just didn't bother to update the year from 1995?
    4. Is this discrepancy with the claimed release year and minimum year setting on the GL-110 an exception to the rule, or is there no set rule at all -- the lowest year can be the current year or earlier depending upon various factors in the module programming effort?

So, does anyone know if there's some reliable method by which you can find out when a particular watch was manufactured? Maybe a stamping somewhere inside the watch?
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: How old is my G-Shock? There's no batch or serial number on it...

Any bonafide Watchmaker will have a serial # in/on the Watch. If not outside, then will be inside.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

I've come across this before as well. Rather than models being released earlier than the lower year shows, I think it's more to do with the module.

Or at least possibly parts of the module like the main chip or something, for example two DW-5600's might have slightly different module numbers because of screen colour maybe, but the electronics might be the same even though one was released in a different year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    xevious likes this.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

solars have a # on them with factory code, month, and line production #. some higher end models will have serial # or both. other than that, on the common models there is no way to know the year it was made.

edit: some LE models are numbered. and Bapes (real and fake).
    Last edited by Steelerswit; August 31st, 2017 at 20:25.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerswit View Post
    solars have a # on them with factory code, month, and line production #. some higher end models will have serial # or both. other than that, on the common models there is no way to know the year it was made.
    I would've thought an outfit like Casio would have a production # somewhere on the unit at least for their service techs.

Timepieces

2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

All they need is module number. It's not a perishable item like milk so a date really isn't needed.

Sent from Capt. Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

If you search the model # on pacparts.com it will usually list the module (if there is more than one) and the year each model was first produced.
    Steelerswit and xevious like this.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

So we can kill my postulation about the minimum year. Sodamonkey is right, that the minimum year has everything to do with the module programming, and not the manufacturing year.

I researched a sampling of several G-Shock watches I own, for release year and settable year ranges. Here's what I found:

Watch Release Year Minimum Year Maximum Year
    GW-2310 2009 2000 2099
    GW-9100 2007 2000 2099
    GL-7500 2005 2000 2039
    GL-110 2000 1995 2039
    MRG-1 1996 1995 2039

It makes sense... as the module has to be programmed to deal with a certain range of years for being able to auto-set the day of the week. Very old CASIO watches from the early 1980's actually didn't take a year value and you had to set the day manually.

Btw, in case anyone is worried about their older G-Shock day/date keeping after the year 2039, you can just select an earlier year that matches the day/date assignment of the present year. The site Time and Date has a very helpful page on this [LINK].
    watchusthappened likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Guy's, I'm trying to find the date of manufacture of this, my first Casio, which I've had since December 1979.
    The serial number on the back is: 452917.
    Any ideas??
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would think 1984, but you said you had it in 79?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information