How to remove the glass from the case?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to remove the glass from the case?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to remove the glass from the case?

If I want to replace the glass (crystal), without replacing the case, how do I remove the glass? Do I just need to press hard enough to pop it out, or is there some special trick? I don't want to damage the old glass or the case, but it seems the glass is glued on there. The model is a Gulfman, by the way. I have already removed the metal ring, and disassembled everything else, so I am left now with just the glass and the case and it seems the glass is glued on.

Re: How to remove the glass from the case?

Hi,
    I think heat can work to losen the glue but I don't know how it'll affect the case. I've read it works well on older metal cased models like DW-5600C. Haven't read about anyone trying it with a plastic-cased G however.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

No way to heat it without risking damage, so I tried the opposite. I put it in the freezer for 20 mins, and then when I tried again it popped right out. Thanks for the help, I would not have thought that changing the temperature would help, but I guess it does. (Maybe causing some parts to contract)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ooh, nice work! Should be added to the tutorials on the forum. You didn't take any pics, did you?

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

So what's this latest mod of yours then? :)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlike View Post
    So what's this latest mod of yours then? :)
    Not a mod, but rather a restoration. One of my favorite watches is the GW-9100K ICERC Gulfman from 2007, but they are VERY hard to find now. A seller on this forum was offering a used one for sale. Since I happened to have a spare band and bezel on hand, I bought it. When I got it, it was pretty dirty, so I removed the old band and bezel and cleaned it up. When the glass was totally clean, I was disappointed to find there was a quarter inch scratch on the glass. Also, the chromed metal ring has some small signs of wear. A simple band and bezel change would not make this watch look new again.

Fortunately, I happened to have a new condition Ocean Grey gulfman on hand (everything but the module, which was destroyed). Some of the parts of the Ocean Grey are the same as the GW-9100K, and one of those parts is the crystal (has the same gold and white letters as the GW-9100K--indeed, it is the same part. Also, the chromed ring is the same.. IN the pic below, the parts on the bottom row are common to both the Ocean Grey and the GW-9100K ICERC. The top row is for the Ocean Grey, but NOT the GW-9100K

So, I replaced the crystal, the chrome ring, the rear gasket (just because), the band, and the bezel, and now the old GW-9100K looks like new. It looks even newer than my other GW-9100K, which is near mint as it is. By the way, the crystal is not glued in. See that black circular retainer? If you put that in first, then drop the crystal in, then press hard on the crystal from the top, it snaps back in. Just need to be sure to line it up properly, so put the solar assembly in first, from the back side, then put the crystal in from the top (front side). The chrome ring is glued on, but Casio uses a sticky glue that is easy to remove with fingernails only. It is like a very weak rubber cement. When I glue the chrome ring back on, I used superglue because it was the only thing I had that would be sure to hold it in place.

The newly restored one is on the bottom. I kept the hourly chime on so I would be able to tell the difference between it and my old GW-9100K without examining closely.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; July 12th, 2011 at 20:37.
    40swords and StephenWatch like this.

That is nice work. Did you use a tool to replace the crystal? I payed 20,- Euro fro a crystal replacement on my AWG 101 and i guess it could be doen as a diy project without much hassle?!

On the gulfman (I don't know about other models), it is just a matter of popping the old one out and popping the new one in. No tools required. Need to make sure it is lined up properly, of course, and clean thoroughly with a Q-tip and some high grade glass cleaner (I use Stoner Invisible Glass) and clean several times to make sure there are no fingerprints or dust on either side of the crystal or solar assembly (which on this model also has glass, unlike most other G-shocks I've taken apart).

Nice work, as usual :) What happened to the Ocean Gray module? Hopefully the LCD survived!

In the photo above of the Gulfman parts, on the bottom row are two things that look like gaskets. I am guessing the right-most is the case-back gasket. What is the other, does it sit between the crystal and the case or solar cell?
    Last edited by rogerlike; July 12th, 2011 at 22:55.

Congrats, enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information