How to Replace Bezel on GPW1000?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How to Replace Bezel on GPW1000?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to Replace Bezel on GPW1000?

I just ordered a GPW1000 that has the white G-Shock letters on the bezel.

Has anyone switched out the bezel?

How hard is it? Any pitfalls or tips?

This is my first Casio.
    <<Les Garten>>

Re: How to Replace Bezel on GPW1000?

would have been much much easier to just paint in white letters on the existing bezel.
    Rocat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    would have been much much easier to just paint in white letters on the existing bezel.
    Worried about getting the paint to stick and not look like Bubba did it!
    <<Les Garten>>

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As far as I know, you'd be the first one to attempt it. Somewhere around here there is an exploded diagram of the watch's construction that might help. I vaguely recall seeing a display from when Casio released the watch that had it disassembled into pieces, it might have even been in one of the promotional videos as well. Also, sometimes if you call pacparts and ask real nice they will email you an exploded parts diagram, but I'm not sure if they would have one for the GPW.

Good luck, and please report back if you have any progress, preferably with pics if possible. I would love to know more about the construction of this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    As far as I know, you'd be the first one to attempt it. Somewhere around here there is an exploded diagram of the watch's construction that might help. I vaguely recall seeing a display from when Casio released the watch that had it disassembled into pieces, it might have even been in one of the promotional videos as well. Also, sometimes if you call pacparts and ask real nice they will email you an exploded parts diagram, but I'm not sure if they would have one for the GPW.

Good luck, and please report back if you have any progress, preferably with pics if possible. I would love to know more about the construction of this watch.
    I've done searches for the diagram but haven't found one yet.

LOL, this is my first G-Shock and I figured some of you guys would help me with dis-assembly! Not break out the Popcorn and say go for it, we'd like to watch this train wreck!
    <<Les Garten>>

just wondering, which part did you order?
    is it the whole case like this?
    Name:  satoshi1152-img337x600-1450870741sqgxzk28747.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  169.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    just wondering, which part did you order?
    is it the whole case like this?
    Name:  satoshi1152-img337x600-1450870741sqgxzk28747.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  169.8 KB

I haven't ordered anything yet.

Don't even have the watch yet. Just ordered it yesterday!

But I'm thinking I would like to have the Neon Signs on it dimmed a bit.

Looks like you know how to get it apart?

I need the parts at 6 and 12:00 with the white letters.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  60.6 KB
    <<Les Garten>>

Fact is that its a fairly new model and there are not a great deal of members own it, and even fewer would be willing to modify such a high end (for a G-Shock) watch. I did a bit of research on it a while back because I was considering upgrading mine to titanium, however the price of parts proved to be cost prohibitive, so I ditched the idea.

To the best of my knowledge, the part Everdying posted was the case center, and would run you about $340

The main part you are trying to replace would be this part, at $75: PacParts: 91087150056

I couldn't find the diagrams that I looked at in the past, but I was able to come across this (Post 473): GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 48

It looks like you remove the screws on the front of the bezel and remove those two resin parts to have access to the steel bezel, which is the part you want to replace. It is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the steel part may then be attached with some sort of adhesive, in which case you would have to (very) carefully pry it off. That is just my best guess, I wish I could help more.

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
    LOL, this is my first G-Shock and I figured some of you guys would help me with dis-assembly! Not break out the Popcorn and say go for it, we'd like to watch this train wreck!
    People would love to be able to help with disassembly, but it's an issue of supply and demand, price and common sense.

This isn't quite like modding a DW-5600 or a DW-6900 -- those are basic, inexpensive models that Casio has been making for 20 years, and there are used ones in various conditions all over eBay.

As I mentioned in that other thread, the GPW-1000 is NOT a terribly common watch around here and not that many people here own them. It's also a relatively expensive G, which means that fewer people are going to experiment with modding their watch. If something goes wrong, it's a lot easier to justify buying a replacement when a brand new one can be had for less than $50.

Since the GWP-1000 is a GPS atomic solar analog watch, it's also a lot more complicated than a lot of other G's -- there are occasionally surprises like small springs hiding under the bezels of relatively simple G-Shocks, so who knows what parts might be lurking beneath the surface of this one? And of course, since this model was just released in 2014, there probably aren't a whole lot of them that are banged up and in need of repair yet. A lot of them are still probably under warranty, and who really wants to void the warranty of a new watch that still looks good and works properly?

Obviously, YOU do, but you're probably in the minority there, among a fairly small minority of people who actually own that watch. The inability to easily find a dozen other people who own (and have modified) this watch is probably just another facet of the "early adopter tax."

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
    Looks like you know how to get it apart?
    He might not -- I'm guessing he found that by Googling "GPW1000 bezel." That picture appears in some Japanese Yahoo auctions but doesn't look like it's been posted on Watchuseek previously:https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w&start=0&sa=N

Googling that myself led me to GPW-1000T - G-SHOCK - CASIO and this picture of that model's titanium bezel:

Name:  titanium bezel.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  34.2 KB

Comparing that picture to the parts list at Pacparts [ Casio GPW1000-1A Parts and Accessories ] -- and the picture of the outer resin bezel -- makes me think that the metal inner bezel interlocks with the resin outer bezel. IF I'm right and IF they're anything like the interlocking bezels on the GW-(M)500 and MTG-(M)900, then both bezels need to be removed from the watch case before they can be separated from each other. The screws on the face of the watch at 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock probably have to come out, along with the pieces they're holding down, but that's as far as I'm willing to guess.
    Knives and Lint and GaryK30 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    Fact is that its a fairly new model and there are not a great deal of members own it, and even fewer would be willing to modify such a high end (for a G-Shock) watch. I did a bit of research on it a while back because I was considering upgrading mine to titanium, however the price of parts proved to be cost prohibitive, so I ditched the idea.

To the best of my knowledge, the part Everdying posted was the case center, and would run you about $340

The main part you are trying to replace would be this part, at $75: PacParts: 91087150056

I couldn't find the diagrams that I looked at in the past, but I was able to come across this (Post 473): GPW : "T H E B E A S T" THREAD OF AWESOMENESS - Title says it all. - Page 48

It looks like you remove the screws on the front of the bezel and remove those two resin parts to have access to the steel bezel, which is the part you want to replace. It is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the steel part may then be attached with some sort of adhesive, in which case you would have to (very) carefully pry it off. That is just my best guess, I wish I could help more.
    I had found a Video somewhere, maybe of the launch in Basel or something, CES, who knows. It showed a display case with a cutaway of the watch. It showed those orange plastic pieces and I thought how could that hold the Bezel on. So adhesive is making more sense now.

I wanted the Titanium too but they really soak it to you for it. Titanium is relatively cheap now, so they are just jacking us on that price IMO.

Figured I'd post here just on the chance someone had done it.

I'm afraid to try paint on it. May have to just live with the Neon signs for a while.
    <<Les Garten>>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information