How to rock a G-Shock after resin rot?
Like Tree20Likes
  • 5 Post By xevious
  • 3 Post By wuyeah
  • 2 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 4 Post By zabat
  • 5 Post By xevious
  • 1 Post By zabat

Thread: How to rock a G-Shock after resin rot?

How to rock a G-Shock after resin rot?

I went back home for Chinese New Year and happy to see all my G-Shocks together again.
    i have most collectibles in a foam case and whatever that I can't fit in draw. Most of my collection are vintage digitalis and I Just found out one of my DW-002 just rot away with crack. After I touched a bit examine, it just break into pieces. Very brittle. This is my first resin rot experience. I have not wear this piece like... Forever and it didn't exposed to UV in drawer so my guess is the temperature and moister of Taiwan climate.

Anyway, resin rot is not a new for G-Shockers who owns vintage so this thread is not rediscussing about resin rot. I would like to focus on, ways to rock g-shock after resin rot and still looks cool on wrist. Do you still rock those G-shocks or you usuall put them in drawer and never look at them again? For those metal, titanium casing G, can they fit on proper bracelet? Stylish straps? NATO?

Can an you show us how do you rock it?

Re: How to rock a G-Shock after resin rot?

Sorry to hear about the resin rot, but as you said, it's far too common with G-Shocks from that era.

Here are two threads featuring "naked G's" that are still worn: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/wea...gs-244956.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/nak...ne-972883.html

There are others here, but a lot of these results are "just" of the watch in question without a bezel, not with a strap and not on a wrist: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...naked&start=10

Plenty of G-Shocks still look good without the bezel -- the only minor problems are that they aren't quite as shock- and scratch-resistant without the bezel's protection, and the button pushers seem extra-long without the bezel covering them.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I do... Not all of them work out well without the bezel, but some do (IMHO):

And with some 5700 models you can use a 5600 bezel (there are 3 sizes of 5700, so it's a little tricky).

This is a DW-1100 (not a G-Shock), and was also notorious for resin rot:

Last edited by xevious; February 10th, 2016 at 22:49.
    zabat, wuyeah, JohnQFord and 2 others like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My first attempt with awful iPad camera.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 697
Size:  170.6 KB
Views: 696
Size:  179.7 KB
Views: 699
Size:  174.1 KB
    nigelw, xevious and JohnQFord like this.

the dw002s are so notorious for resin rot. its like they have a self destruct mode built in to gradually start killing the resin after a certain number of years lol

for that particular model, if you really want to keep it, just rebirth it with a donor dw6900. personally id just sell the case and module and keep the band for mods.

(tho that braclet almost makes it look standard )
    wuyeah and Crater like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    This is a DW-1100 (not a G-Shock), and was also notorious for resin rot:

Well, that one looks just stunning, very “Mech” to me, Name:  casio_dw1100_1.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  36.5 KBand because the buttons are supported by metal structures, looks very right, unlike (imho) the MRG-1, which, though it looks very good, has buttons which also look sort of vulnerable, like they could be damaged by a sideways push. Is this a justified fear? Name:  mrg-1-1.jpeg
Views: 574
Size:  6.3 KB
    I wonder if anyone has tried wearing a G-2000, which also has buttons like that? Name:  g2000_1.JPG
Views: 625
Size:  18.9 KB(pics stolen from e-bay)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    the dw002s are so notorious for resin rot. its like they have a self destruct mode built in to gradually start killing the resin after a certain number of years lol
    Love the design of this model too. If only Casio would revive this one. With better resin, of course.
    xevious, JohnQFord, wuyeah and 1 others like this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I agree, zabat. That's why I periodically wear the DW-1100 this way. It's kind of like "modern steam-punk".

The MRG-1 is fine without the bezel, but I would not use it carefree (meaning, I wouldn't go swimming with it or expose to mud and other debris). The buttons are slightly exposed but they're quite solid for normal use.

The G-2000 without the bezel looks beautiful in all its stainless steel polish splendor (so does the GL-110 TC series). But there's something about the original G-2000 band that doesn't work quite right without the bezel. A band borrowed from a GW-2310/G-2300 works OK. Overall, the G-2000 didn't suffer much bezel rot at all. Very seldom do I see them around without bezels.

In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

...DW-1100 ... ...like "modern steam-punk".

A much better description than “Mech" especially considering the fact that G-Shocks have no mechanical movements.

...The G-2000 without the bezel looks beautiful in all its stainless steel polish splendor... ...Very seldom do I see them around without bezels.

Too bad, they look like they were designed to be worn without bezels, having, imho, the best looking G-Shock cases, smooth, polished, and perfectly proportioned, with only the wider shoulders of the band and the slightly exposed buttons to give it away. Great pic too.
    xevious likes this.

Thread Information