How skilled do I have to be to change the bezel and strap on a Rangeman?
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: How skilled do I have to be to change the bezel and strap on a Rangeman?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How skilled do I have to be to change the bezel and strap on a Rangeman?

I'm thinking about picking up a Rangeman, though I admit to wondering if there will be an update or something new and exciting from Basel. I know I'm alone with this

My favorite Rangeman has an army green bezel and strap with positive display. Other than the Camo version, Casio doesn't make the version I want. My understanding is that the best way to go is to buy a Black Positive then swap in a Green bezel and strap (are there several versions of Green?).

But I've never touched a G-Shock with a screwdriver. How hard is this? If I'm careful and good with my hands, is it just a matter of unscrewing a few screws and popping the new one on? I'm sure there are youtube tutorials, which I should probably look for

Thanks.
    John

Re: How skilled do I have to be to change the bezel and strap on a Rangeman?

I did my GravityMaster and getting the shell off and on was sort of hard. I was afraid I was going to break it. I finally got in on but there was a little spring between the case and module that went to spring heaven.
    nicholas.d likes this.

Rangeman: Positive Green

Hi, What you are considering is really a band and bezel swap as opposed to a module swap which requires 2 watches

What you propose will get you this:
    Positive green with red eye with RED Rangeman

To get a positive green with gold eye and yellow "Rangeman" requires a green watch to get the gold eye with yellow "Rangeman" and a black (or yellow) watch to get a positive screen module. The eye is integral to the case. You need to get a green case.

Initially I did only the band and bezel swap which was OK until I was encouraged by seeing another member do the module swap and teach us what issues to be careful of when opening a Rangeman and removing the module.

This thread contains crucial information about what to do to safely swap Rangeman modules:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ran...-948861-4.html

Good luck!
    Last edited by yankeexpress; February 7th, 2016 at 01:16.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LOL

I see that Yankeexpress already answered it while I was searching for you :)

Yes. It is not as hard/difficult as you think. Use Google and search Watch us seek Rangeman bezel removal. Never mind. I did it for you. :)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ran...e-1024293.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gsh...p-1823930.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/tak...n-1469833.html
    Last edited by Rocat; February 7th, 2016 at 01:15.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

There are 2 versions of army green, JDM version called 9400J has a carbon fiber strap. The international version has a regular resin strap
    Last edited by yankeexpress; February 7th, 2016 at 01:29.

This thread contains crucial information about what to do to safely swap Rangeman modules:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/ran...-948861-4.html

Info below is for simple band/bezel swaps:
    Rangeman Swap, Making a positive Red or Navy Rangeman or negative Grey:

Remove only the 4 band screws, as for this mod, we are doing only a simple band and bezel swap. No need to open up the back of the watches.

Once the 4 bands screws are stowed in a safe place, note that there is a 2 button side and a 3 button side to the Rangeman. With the watch upside down, We are going to pry off the 2 button side 1st with a thumbnail. Note that between the 2 buttons is the sensor and inside the bezel is a small plastic cover piece over the sensor. This piece is going to make the trip to the other Rangeman with the bezel, keeping track of it should that piece get loose from the bezel. Just pop it back into the bezel.

With the Rangeman back side up, using a thumbnail inserted between a button on the 2 button side, gently pry the bezel away from the case, working down past the sensor to the other button, sliding the bezel out over the buttons on one side. Once the 2 button side of the case is outside the bezel, gently remove the bezel from the other 3 button side and you will have 2 pieces of Rangeman in your hand. Repeat with the other Rangeman.

To reinstall the bezel on the other Case, reverse the procedure, gently lining up the 3 button side 1st inside the new bezel and gently working the plastic over the 5 respective buttons, keeping track of the little sensor cover piece that could potentially come loose. Just put it back inside the bezel if need be.

Once the bezel is installed, flip the Rangeman over and check that all the functions and buttons work OK, then reinstall the bands on their proper ends. Do Not Over-Tighten the screws, just snug them up gently, taking care not to strip the plastic threads.

And Viola! Modded Rangeman!
    Enjoy!

P.S. As an aside, the green Rangeman positive swap is a whole nother animal, where in order to get the gold eye on the Green Rangeman, we do open up the watch
    JohnM, Izzy_Does_It and Mrcrooka1 like this.

Name:  20150212_185748_zpsb0d5cce7.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  158.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    Name:  20150212_185748_zpsb0d5cce7.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  158.8 KB
    I think the red eye, green case/strap looks pretty good.
    JohnM and siNdreAd like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information