How tough is the mtg-900?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: How tough is the mtg-900?

Question How tough is the mtg-900?

Does the chrome chip with time? (some have commented that fault on the watch)
    Or should I go for the sgw-100 which I read that is pretty tough too. Or just go straight for a mudman? I'll be loosing the big digits but I'll gain functions and super durability.

Re: How tough is the mtg-900?

Quote Originally Posted by lalo82 View Post
    Does the chrome chip with time? (some have commented that fault on the watch)
    Or should I go for the sgw-100 which I read that is pretty tough too. Or just go straight for a mudman? I'll be loosing the big digits but I'll gain functions and super durability.
    I wish I'd taken or saved pictures of the one that I bought on Ebay that had the chrome flaking off.

Here ARE some pictures of one I found on Ebay showing how the silver paint wears off, leaving the oddly-colored yellowish-white resin exposed.

Name:  mtg wear.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  mtg wear 2.JPG
Views: 1180
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  mtg wear 3.JPG
Views: 851
Size:  45.9 KB

Between those issues and a few other minor ones, it seems pretty obvious to me that Casio has come a long way with their solar atomic watches since 2002, when the MTG 900 series debuted. [ http://mygshock.com/wiki/List_of_Every_G-Shock_Model#2002 ]

...kind of scary that I didn't have to look far to find one on Ebay with chrome chipping off the small "trim" piece at the 12 o'clock position, up above the bezel, above the "H" in "G SHOCK" -- it's almost all gone except for a little bit in the middle:

Name:  mtg 900 chrome.JPG
Views: 1416
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by Mike K; September 24th, 2012 at 01:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Would that be because of wearing it too much? hehe. Maybe gone through harsh chemicals or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by lalo82 View Post
    Would that be because of wearing it too much? hehe. Maybe gone through harsh chemicals or something like that?
    To be honest, I really don't know what causes the chipping chrome or worn-off paint -- at a guess I'd say "just wearing it a lot" since the used one I bought that had the chipping chrome looked to be in relatively good condition otherwise!

Still -- painted resin and chrome-plated plastic? How many G Shocks released in the past few years have those "features?" I know some newer models like the GW-2310 have stainless steel bezel inserts (as do the MTGs, apparently) but the main bezel surrounding the watch is just good old basic black resin -- which won't rub off, and if you scrape or gouge it badly enough, there's just more black resin underneath.
    nigelw likes this.

Thread Information