• I'm not sure, they both seem to play a role

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

How tuff is tuff?

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  1414DW6100 
#1 ·
Hello fello G-Shockers,

it dawned on me today as i was staring at my Frogman. How tough do you think a G-Shock really is? and what gives it the general basics to hold against a fall?

i was wondering how tough a G-Shock would be without its bezel, as it seems like the bezel was designed for most of the impact and the case was made to take the rest. what if we were to drop the watch from the same height for a shock test without bezel, would it still be able to stand it?

#3 ·
I don't think the shroud/bezel is essential to impact resistance. The inside rubber pieces probably do more to protect the module. If you look at most MR-G's they don't even have a resin shroud.

#4 ·
I always figured the resin bezels (or any really raised bezel) is more to protect the glass from basic scratching and chips.... beyond that I could easily believe its not more than decoration.

Like compare a G-2000 to a DW-5600.... the bezel is way higher, but Im not sure its "function" is really any greater.

#8 ·
i agree, it just makes me wonder a little. because everyone that gives there watch a thrashing has always been with the bezel on.

#9 ·
i was wondering how tough a G-Shock would be without its bezel, as it seems like the bezel was designed for most of the impact and the case was made to take the rest. what if we were to drop the watch from the same height for a shock test without bezel, would it still be able to stand it?
Lend me yours and I'll get back to you on it.

--Steve

#10 ·
haha no way, these are my babies. if i didnt have a problem doing damage to them by force i wouldnt have asked.

#11 ·
I thought I read before somewhere here that someone had done their series of tests with a Cockpit type Gshock, and it came off none the worst... the edge of the bezel got some deep scuffs after being subject to a fall from 3 floors or so. It still worked ok. It didn't have the 'softer' resin bezel to absorb the shock but there's still the inner layer between the case and the module.
Lee

#14 ·
hey thanks tribe! :-!

#13 ·
"I always figured the resin bezels (or any really raised bezel) is more to protect the glass from basic scratching and chips"

Agreed. Especially if it lands face down during a long 3 story fall. Some models like the various 5600s the glass is quite vulnerable to a long drop with the bezel removed. Personally, I think a G is MORE fragile than a regular watch with the bezel removed. The reason is because the buttons stick out when the bezel is off. With the buttons sticking out they're more prone to snagging on your clothes or being bent and broken off. I've seen this on a shock resistant Timex Ironman (1999 edition) and they kind of copied the design from Casio.

#15 ·
"I always figured the resin bezels (or any really raised bezel) is more to protect the glass from basic scratching and chips"

Agreed. Especially if it lands face down during a long 3 story fall. Some models like the various 5600s the glass is quite vulnerable to a long drop with the bezel removed. Personally, I think a G is MORE fragile than a regular watch with the bezel removed. The reason is because the buttons stick out when the bezel is off. With the buttons sticking out they're more prone to snagging on your clothes or being bent and broken off. I've seen this on a shock resistant Timex Ironman (1999 edition) and they kind of copied the design from Casio.
very ineteresting what you said. this thread was merely to see how others felt about this subject.:)

#16 ·
Hi 1414,
Good question. I think someone mentioned before that in a sense, the quartz watch was inherently resistant to vibration. So I think it's the bezel being an energy absorbing bumber for the case. Once the case cracks breaks etc.. thats the end of the watch I'd say.

I'll go further with the point Cdude mentioned. I feel from personal experience, the bezel with it's raised construction, serves as great "abrasion resist" feature. I've seen a couple watches get oblitered with a slide tackle or two. One of them very funny actually.... :-d .

So I can see an arguement about the resist structure inside the watch being a gimmick, but I think the bezel carries a major role.

|>

#19 ·
from the votes, i think everyone just about agrees with you Kpatt. :-!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.