how to waste the battery as fast as possible?

Thread: how to waste the battery as fast as possible?

how to waste the battery as fast as possible?

today i turned on the flash light that pops every hour with the hour signal on my dw-6900. then i asked myself, how long can the battery last, when i have this function turned on every day, 24 hours a day???
    probably not much more than 1 or 2 month i guess.

the same time i asked myself, if i let the stopwatch and cdt running 24 hours a day, will it also decrease battery life much? i think yes, when u leave the mode on stopwatch or timer cause the graphic runs faster and needs much battery, but what if i have normal time mode, does a stopwatch running in the "backround" need more battery??

regards,
    gerry fonklover

Re: how to waste the battery as fast as possible?

I think anything that uses the light will use up battery much faster than the stopwatch and CDT.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

I can guarantee if you leave the light-flash feature on for the 6900, that it will last longer than 1-2 months (assuming you start with a fresh set of batteries).
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by fonklover View Post
    today i turned on the flash light that pops every hour with the hour signal on my dw-6900. then i asked myself, how long can the battery last, when i have this function turned on every day, 24 hours a day???
    probably not much more than 1 or 2 month i guess.
    The manuals for many models include some battery life statistics, mentioning how much battery life a certain amount of alarm and illumination will eat up.

Since the flash alerts are pretty short illuminations, I'd estimate maybe 4-6 hours of alert light to have a similar drain as a single 3 second illumination. So you're basically using the backlight about 4-6 times daily. Many manuals give you an idea of how much drain is caused by additional illuminations.

The hourly beeps are also only a single beep instance of a regular 20-second alarm. One daily alarm is often factored into the battery life estimation. Therefore, the signal beeps are exceeding the baseline estimation by just a 1/5th of a daily alarm.

So, basically, I'd not be worried to much about the impact of the hourly beep. You'll certainly get much further than 2 months.

i think the flash alert is 2 times 1/2 second. so it would be 24 seconds a day. many manuals (6900, 5600 etc) say you can have one illumniation a day and its last about 2 years. 24/8 is 3. so its 1/3 of 2 years , is 8.
    so it could last 8 month together with 1 alarm a day.

but i like to use the watch full functions, flash and hourly chime, and and and. i like to change batterys and a cr2016 doenst cost the world. but when one battery is empty i put it out and use and abuse the next watch before changing.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG-1000 View Post
    The manuals for many models include some battery life statistics, mentioning how much battery life a certain amount of alarm and illumination will eat up.

Since the flash alerts are pretty short illuminations, I'd estimate maybe 4-6 hours of alert light to have a similar drain as a single 3 second illumination. So you're basically using the backlight about 4-6 times daily. Many manuals give you an idea of how much drain is caused by additional illuminations.

The hourly beeps are also only a single beep instance of a regular 20-second alarm. One daily alarm is often factored into the battery life estimation. Therefore, the signal beeps are exceeding the baseline estimation by just a 1/5th of a daily alarm.

So, basically, I'd not be worried to much about the impact of the hourly beep. You'll certainly get much further than 2 months.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

the same time i asked myself, if i let the stopwatch and cdt running 24 hours a day, will it also decrease battery life much? i think yes, when u leave the mode on stopwatch or timer cause the graphic runs faster and needs much battery, but what if i have normal time mode, does a stopwatch running in the "backround" need more battery??

i think u're right. keeping anything running in the background is the same as running in the foreground, except the display. so it should use up more battery, 'cause keeps the microprocessor busy.

think about your laptop, how many time does the fan start up if something is running in the background?

GW2000B-1A
    GW-9200 'Dragon' Riseman
    DW-5600E-1V
    AWG 101-1A
    Seiko SNZG13K1

Quote Originally Posted by psychofart View Post
    i think u're right. keeping anything running in the background is the same as running in the foreground, except the display. so it should use up more battery, 'cause keeps the microprocessor busy.

think about your laptop, how many time does the fan start up if something is running in the background?

The watch is updating the timekeeping seconds and refreshing the display anyway. Therefore, updating the timer and stopwatch as well is merely a matter of incrementing/decrementing additional counters. I'd argue that it is a highly neglectable use of additional CPU resources. Each mode change beep is likely to use more power than a month with running counters.

yes, it would hardly shorten battery life, but this is a purely theoretical question, noone is afraid of loosing a battery. and therefore its right, the function running in the background must take up some energy at least

The watch is updating the timekeeping seconds and refreshing the display anyway. Therefore, updating the timer and stopwatch as well is merely a matter of incrementing/decrementing additional counters. I'd argue that it is a highly neglectable use of additional CPU resources. Each mode change beep is likely to use more power than a month with running counters.
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

yes, it would hardly shorten battery life, but this is a purely theoretical question, noone is afraid of loosing a battery. and therefore its right, the function running in the background must take up some energy at least
    From a programming perspective, there is likely nothing such as "background". The notes in the Riseman manual saying that regular and exact updating of the timekeeping display may not be possible while sensor measurements are in progress would indicate that the processor is doing some kind of cooperative multitasking, one thing after the other.

But back to stopwatch, timer and timekeeping...

The processor will be running in a permanent high-speed loop (with at least a 1/100th second interval for the stopwatch). Within that loop, it increments the timekeeping counter and refreshes the display (if timekeeping mode is selected). Also, when midnight has been passed, the date is being adjusted.

After having done that, the module will be checking if one of the alarm times has been reached and the respective alarm is enabled. If so, the alarm logic is kicked off. The same goes for the hour signal.

If stopwatch is not running, move on to next task. Otherwise, the respective counter will be incremented. If the stopwatch mode is selected, its display is being refreshed.

If timer is not running, move on to next task. Otherwise, decrement its internal counter. Trigger beeping if we have a watch with coutdown progress and one of its threshold boundaries are crossed. Trigger end alarm when timer reaches 0:00:00 and stop/restart the timer. If the timer mode is active, the display needs to be updated.

You get the idea...

The processor is generally idling away its time. In most situations, the watch will only increment its time display and waste time managing funny, but mostly useless animations.

The processor commands for in-/decrementing the timer/stopwatch (using only timer in the remainder of this paragraph) counters is neglectible. It's not as if the module didn't have to do anything when timers aren't in use. It must at least perform some check to see whether a timer operation is in progress or not. Therefore, even a disabled timer causes some CPU operation - a skip over the timer value adjustment.

You will usually not find timer operations in the manual information referring to the expected battery life, just alarm and illuminations. If timer operations are mentioned, you can be pretty sure that it's because it triggers beeping at the end.
    Last edited by MRG-1000; August 27th, 2008 at 21:02.

You get the idea...
    I do. An informative post.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thread Information