Hydromods....still something you guys are doing?
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Hydromods....still something you guys are doing?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hydromods....still something you guys are doing?

I was wondering if people are still doing this to their G's? Haven't saw much lately and searching found some older threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vdubz; March 13th, 2014 at 10:09.

Re: Hydromods....still something you guys are doing?

I did it to one of my GW-6900's last spring and I think it came out nicely! (Wanting to hydro mod a G is also the story of how I wound up with three GW-6900's -- I went looking for an inexpensive, gently used G on eBay, that was the third one I bid on and the first one I won.)

The hydro modding process was the typical story of "too big a bubble the first time, think I got it just right the second time," and "must have used an entire roll of paper towels cleaning up the small amount of silicone oil spillage."

The only thing I'm NOT happy with is the idea of going through it all again in 15 or 20 years when the rechargeable battery goes out, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.
    G-fob, nigelw and aafanatic like this.

Just did a quick google search on hydromod... is that really a mod where you put oil inside a g-shock?

I have no idea why would you do that, any explanation would be welcome.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks mike. I've been wanting to do my GD-110 but never really got enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    Just did a quick google search on hydromod... is that really a mod where you put oil inside a g-shock?

I have no idea why would you do that, any explanation would be welcome.
    Yeah crater it is. Main reason people started from what I remember reading was to increase the depth rating because the oil won't compress like air. Second reason is that it makes the numbers almost look like that are popping from the display. There might me more reasons but it's been a whole since I read up on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crater and Mike K like this.

Hydromodding is indeed putting oil inside a watch, as they do with some high-end dive watches that can theoretically survive the Marianas Trench and Challenger Deep at depths of 10,000 meters. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/oil...st-903010.html

It increases the depth rating, since oil won't compress like the air that's in our G's now.

Light bends (refracts) quite differently when it passes through air and water, but water and oil are pretty similar, as are water and glass. An air-filled watch can be hard to read underwater since the air inside the crystal can act like a mirror, but the same watch with oil instead of air is a lot easier to read -- it's almost as if there WAS no glass and no oil between the LCD and the person viewing it.

That effect really DOES make the digits "pop" in everyday use, and people report that sometimes it appears as if the watch has no crystal. Oil filled watches are a little easier to read at an angle, and there can be less reflection from the glass.

Of course, if it's done correctly, there's also the little air bubble that will press against the glass, that can be moved around by tilting the watch -- proving to people who often can't believe it that yes, the watch is full of liquid and still working almost as perfectly as when it left the factory!

Auto EL switches don't usually work quite as well after the watch is full of oil -- the tiny metal ball that used to fall/roll through air now has to travel through oil, so they might work sluggishly or not at all. Buttons still work normally, though, and alarms work though some people report that the sound seems a little muffled.

Since there's no "air space" inside the watch, there can't be any fogging or condensation issues!
    Last edited by Mike K; March 13th, 2014 at 10:48.
    Crater, Vdubz, edwing206 and 1 others like this.

Thanks for explaining guys I've read some posts here about hydromods, but haven't really seen an oil filled watch in WRUW at all.

Good to know, I don't think I will be doing this, but good to know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubz View Post
    Thanks mike. I've been wanting to do my GD-110 but never really got enough time.
    This post made me Google the GD-110 in a hurry, but that model IS an all-digital G, which means you're good to go if and when you decide to try it!

Hydromodding is NOT recommended for analog or ana/digi watches that aren't designed for it, because the extra force needed for the motor that's trying to push the hands through the (thicker than air) oil often results in "the hands stopped working properly." (There's also the matter of "now the motor and gears have a lot more lubrication, though perhaps not the same viscosity, than they were EVER designed for.")

I know there are a couple of threads about this here, too, but the most recent one I remember started off with a title like "How do I clean silicone oil OUT OF a...?"
    nigelw likes this.

Is it possible to hydromod a plain DW-5600e?
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

I remember this one dude who once did it on an analog watch, think it was a GA110? And it messed his watch up.. Lol
    Crater and G-fob like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information