WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hyundai CEO wearing a Casio

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Eric.S 
#1 ·
This morning the news portals in Croatia are covering the new partnership between our local Rimac car company and Korean giant Hyundai.
The picture used shows the two CEO's signing the partnership. Mate Rimac and Eui-Sun Chung.
On Chungs wrist we can see something that looks very very similar to a simple Casio F-91w, a timeless classic.
Huge respect to the guy!!

Sent from my SLA-L22 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Don't get me wrong. I agree it is great that he does!

But I think it may very well be part of a strategy that is meant to reinforce the message that Hyundai is a people's car.

I bet their execs have a dress code that suggests humbleness and people discouraged to show off. And most of them likely drive Hyundai even though they could afford much more expensive cars.

He is probably showing a good example to other execs thereby encouraging them to do the same.

#6 ·
I'm not a CEO, and I don't play one on TV either, I don't have anything to prove, but I do have a 35th anniversary Casio coming today (I can't wait).... Nah.. Nah.. Na.. Nah.. Na.! Hahaha [emoji23][emoji23]
Photos later.. To prove I got the watch!! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
Eastern and Japanese in particular CEOs do not get same salary as west read US/Canada.
In Canada average CEO makes average worker salary before noon on first workday of the year.
Pay gap between Toyota CEO and let Say GM/Tier one NA automotive supplier is 5-6 times yet it still a lot of money. But modesty is one of the key differences.
So as shareholder who invested into the company which not really bringing much profit to you how you will look at dude (of any gender) who get steady pay raise cost as much as whole factory full of workers and than some, wearing expensive Swiss watch and projecting lavish lifestyle?
So modest Casio is proper message to anyone.
Clinton was wearing Timex you can buy in any Target/Walmart and it was fantastic message to voters.

Hyundai made a lot of progress in recent years and they invested heavily in R&D, marketing and business development. So cost cutting and efficiency it likely all rage at Hyundai right now.
Automotive is in decline so things are getting really frugal.

#11 ·
First, whether or not wearing a $10 watch has NOTHING whatsoever to do with salary. A janitor can afford a more expensive watch than $10.

Secondly, it saddens me to think there's a conspiracy or hidden agenda behind simple things such as wearing a watch. That said, I also understand at certain jobs public image is important, similar to this guy wearing a suit not T-shirt to a formal business event.

Lastly, for us to be able to do whatever we like, wear whatever we love without thinking about images or what others think, we need to first stop judging people about it.

#16 ·
Related article on G-Central.

https://www.g-central.com/rich-and-powerful-men-who-wear-casio-watches/

Rich and Powerful Men Who Wear Casio Watches

G-Shock, News

While we mainly focus on G-Shock, Baby-G, and Pro Trek here at G-Central, we naturally have a reverence for their parent company Casio and respect for its other watches. It comes as no surprise that Casio is a hugely successful company but what might be surprising (to those who don't own Casio watches) is that a lot of powerful men wear Casio watches of the very affordable variety. Some of these men are billionaires and world leaders who could wear any watch of their choice. The fact that they choose Casio says a lot about them, and it also says a lot about how Casio watches are some of the most trusted in the world.

#17 ·
I like that cheap Casio much better than Hyundai, that's for sure.

If he wears the watch because he likes it, good for him. But if he tried to make a public understatement, its as lame, as somebody purposely showing off a Rolex to pretend to be somebody better.

I am (also) a CEO, of my own company, and I wear Wal Mart camo shorts and plain t-shirts every single day of the year, because I got tired of spending thousands on suits and ties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.