I am worry...

Thread: I am worry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am worry...

Hi, I am a complete newbie, and I am going to replace the battery on my watch myself. Before I do so, are there anything that i need to pay attention to? Is it hard to replace a battery? I've never done it before, and never even opened the back of the watch to look inside. I had this watch for about 10 years now, and it ran well for 9 and half yr until the battery went dead about a month or so ago.

(I'm referring to the casio transformer g-shock)

Re: I am worry...You ougtha be!

we can understand your worries cos it is pretty much founded! most of the senior here will advise you again it, penny wise pound foolish, just not worth it to DIY!

Re: I am worry...You ougtha be!

Quote Originally Posted by kpaxsg
    we can understand your worries cos it is pretty much founded! most of the senior here will advise you again it, penny wise pound foolish, just not worth it to DIY!
    wow thanks for telling me
    so if I ask someone else to replace it, how much does it usually cost? and do they provide the battery or do i have to bring it myself?
    Also, my watch ran for almost 10 years, does it mean that I have to buy a battery that last 10 years? sorry for blasting the newbie cannon at you guys, but I am clueless and very new to the world of watches. (btw anyone live in Houston knows a good place to replace battery?)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: I am worry...

Hi 100Q,

It's highly recommended to let the battery changed at a local Casio Service centre. If you do not have one close to you r location, it is possible to change the batteries yourself if you have adequate tools. Water resistance is not guaranteed, specially if the seals are 10 years old.

Check my support page how to change a G-Shock battery.

2 important tips:

1: Once open, don't turn the case upside down, you will loose the alarm spring!

2: The battery is hold firm is a battery lock. You need a very small watchmakers screwdriver to un-lock the battery.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: I am worry...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi 100Q,

It's highly recommended to let the battery changed at a local Casio Service centre. If you do not have one close to you r location, it is possible to change the batteries yourself if you have adequate tools. Water resistance is not guaranteed, specially if the seals are 10 years old.

1: Once open, don't turn the case upside down, you will loose the alarm spring!

2: The battery is hold firm is a battery lock. You need a very small watchmakers screwdriver to un-lock the battery.

well i've changed 3 so far... 5 if you count doing the frogman 3 times to get it working...

first - missing spring... which im fairly sure i didnt lose, plus movement moved so button didnt work... fixed once i knew what the probs were... thanks to the forum...

second - dw6600.... can we say easy....

third - frogman, well you can get the back off eventually... and then theres this movement thingy that doesnt look very secure so it half comes out when you try and get the battery out... i recommend a sewing pin btw...

so you swap the battery... put it back together, cant see if it works before you close the back up... how silly is that...

button doesnt work... ok well try again... same...

ok well back to basics... take the thing apart... frogmen have funny buttons... but once you see how they work its easy to make sure they are working...

so problem fixed...

can you do it yourself? only YOU know the answer to that one... lol

as far as having somewhere else do it... i had a battery replaced on my pulsar chronograph (screw back), and if i'd noticed the scratch that was put in the back of it at the time i'd have been less than happy with the guy that did it... O|
    Last edited by madmacs; March 3rd, 2006 at 15:59.

Hi Madmacs,

The sewing pin is a great idea. I shall try it next time. When I change a battery, I firmly press the back plate against the case and turn it around to see if it works. An alternative is just hold the model above your head.

Also check that you lace the backplate in the correct possition (not for screwbacks).

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Is there a way to find out what battery I use before I open the watch up? Btw, do they sell those battery in Wal-Mart? if not, where should I go for one, what's the average price for one?

Hi 100Q's,

I'm 95% sure it's is a CR2016. I'm from Europe, so I don't know much about Wall-Mart, but it seems that they almost sell everything. Try to get a Maxel battery or another Made in Japan battery. They have to 20% capacity to cheaper chinese batteries. A single battery will cost you a few bucks. If you buy big amounts.... I bought 100 last year for $36,- shipped to the Netherlands (Maxell, which are used by Casio Service centre's in the Netherlands!)

Cheers,

Sjrs

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors
    Hi 100Q's,

I'm 95% sure it's is a CR2016. I'm from Europe, so I don't know much about Wall-Mart, but it seems that they almost sell everything. Try to get a Maxel battery or another Made in Japan battery. They have to 20% capacity to cheaper chinese batteries. A single battery will cost you a few bucks. If you buy big amounts.... I bought 100 last year for $36,- shipped to the Netherlands (Maxell, which are used by Casio Service centre's in the Netherlands!)

Cheers,

Sjrs

I am thinking about buying another G, any suggestion? being a student, I have EXTREMELY limited budget to spend on G, know any good place to buy off of? Btw I was searching on the bay yesterday and someone were selling a C Cube G-shock for only a penny + 15 USD shipping. I recalling seeing those on my last trip to Hong Kong, they're huge right? Anyone owns the c-cube series and would like to talk about it?

Hi 100Q's,

I think if you can afford a C-Cube (I had to look up this series, because it was first telling me nothing...) buy one. I have one, the tomato orange version with black negative display. It looks very good in real. I think I'm gonna buy a normal display version in the future. On this Forum we refer to the G-8000 series. They are cool!

Cheers,

Sjors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information