I am writing a proper JJY sync-signal proggy
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: I am writing a proper JJY sync-signal proggy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am writing a proper JJY sync-signal proggy

Hey guys,

I thought I would post this here, cuz of the Japanese theme to this section of the Forum.
    Lately I bought 2 nice SEIKO DL305W night-table digital clocks, one for myself, one for wifey.
    ( https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003696278/ )
    They only sync to the Japan Time Radio Signal (JJY), and not to any other.

Now, since at the moment I am not yet living in Japan (next year we probably will though), I would love to sync those properly every day, just like all my Casio Multibands do.

I found an App for Android and iPhone, called JJYEmulator, which does the job in a "manual" fashion, using Headphones, which need to be placed right next to the clock for it to work. For some reason it doesn't work with my Android speakers, most probably they cannot get to that 40-60khz frequency. (EDIT: my old Bose noice cancellation headphones won't work, but the new Sony MX I got work fine).

Now, I thought, since I am a programmer, and I have a linux PC sitting at home always on, that I would just wing it, and create a proggy which would then play through some speaker/tweeter (TV/Monitor or even remote via DLNA) loud enough so the clocks can hear it from my bedroom.

I found a proggy created by a german dude called "timegen", but it's pretty limited, and I don't think it does JJY anyway.

I will now try to write my own version for it to work realtime: i.e. a small loop that grabs the current time from NIST, and plays it through the speakers, then it loops again, and again, say for about 5 mins. And set it as a cronjob at 4 AM say.

Once I have solved it, I will post it here with full source, for whoever is interested.
    Last edited by Robert Hoffmann; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:50.

Re: I am writing a proper JJY sync-signal proggy

Hi,
    That would be really nice
    Would it be possible for you to add more frequencies, like DCF77?
    Even better, all the ones that Casio uses.
    This way, everybody would be able to benefit from it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elborderas View Post
    Hi,
    That would be really nice
    Would it be possible for you to add more frequencies, like DCF77?
    Even better, all the ones that Casio uses.
    This way, everybody would be able to benefit from it.

Thanks
    The "timegen" proggy I found already contains DCF77, I will of course include that format in the output, it will probably be run like "timesync -format NNNN" where "NNNN" is something like JJY , or DCF77, etc.
    We shall see what comes out of this.
    elborderas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Give it a go since I love MB6 and it’s only a matter of time before the towers start to close.
    Robert Hoffmann likes this.

this is awesome, and thank you

the thing is 95% of people who announced their plans of such and such in this forum NEVER got back to report their success or failure

I hope you belong to the .5%

lolz

Quote Originally Posted by g-fob2 View Post
    this is awesome, and thank you

the thing is 95% of people who announced their plans of such and such in this forum NEVER got back to report their success or failure

I hope you belong to the .5%

lolz
    95%+.5%=95.5%, just saying, :p
    andyahs, kcohS-G, GrouchoM and 1 others like this.

ClockWave on Apple devices works well, I use it for my JDM Citizen.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Great idea. If I can make a suggestion, please integrate a timer function so that the app runs automatically at a preset time (like 12:00am, 1:00 am etc) so that our watches that wait for that time to catch the signal will have it when your app kicks on at that preset time. One issue might be that the app wont be able to wake up the device by itself but there are workarounds for that (like dedicate an old tablet etc and just leave it on constantly). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Give it a go since I love MB6 and it’s only a matter of time before the towers start to close.
    Is this true? The tower in Colorado as well? Japan? Germany? I've never heard about this.... Why are they going away? Tons of watches and clocks use them....

Quote Originally Posted by dantana999 View Post
    Is this true? The tower in Colorado as well? Japan? Germany? I've never heard about this.... Why are they going away? Tons of watches and clocks use them....

Relax!! That was only speculation. Enjoy your MB6 watches.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast