I got into a debate with a jeweler over replacing my solar battery with a plan old lithium one.
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: I got into a debate with a jeweler over replacing my solar battery with a plan old lithium one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused I got into a debate with a jeweler over replacing my solar battery with a plan old lithium one.

So I bring in a G-shock with a solar battery and asked for a regular battery. The jeweler has lithium batteries in stock, but told me I would have to go elsewhere for my solar batteries. I have been replacing the solar batteries with lithiums for years, but I do get jewelers who think doing this might cause the battery to explode or be damaged. Remember the solar cell is still charging the battery.

I don't have any citation for this one way or another. If what I do causes no harm, I should have something more than "personal experience". I will also contact Casio, but I'd like some feedback in this forum.

Gene -- The Casio Fiend

Re: I got into a debate with a jeweler over replacing my solar battery with a plan old lithium one.

lithium vs lithium-ion...there is a difference.
    memento_mori likes this.

Re: I got into a debate with a jeweler over replacing my solar battery with a plan old lithium one.

The original solar battery will work just fine, given enough Sunlight, like DAYS of strong SUN.

Have Never had to replace any solar battery in any watch and some are now 21 years old and going strong, fully charged.

Window sill solars catching rays:

What is fun is to buy what the seller thinks are Dead solar watches real cheap off eBay and set them on a window sill in the Sun for a few days and watch them come back to life!

Dead on Arrival G-2300, seller thought it was a goner.

After 4 days of (admittedly weak northern Sun) and it is up to M, on the way to H eventually:

Last edited by yankeexpress; April 24th, 2019 at 04:09.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

All good, but any harm in doing so? I have li-ons lose their charge and a plain old lithium battery doesn't need the sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by signum8 View Post
    All good, but any harm in doing so? I have li-ons lose their charge and a plain old lithium battery doesn't need the sunlight.
    Lithium are not designed to be recharged and any commercial guy like a jeweler would be foolish to install one in a solar charged watch and subject to getting sued if it malfunctioned and injured the wearer.
    Izzy_Does_It and memento_mori like this.

Here is why:

Jeweler is correct

The danger of using Alkaline batteries : Where an old rechargeable battery might not retain its charge as well as it used to, an Alkaline battery will only work for a short time and ultimately is capable of severely corroding your battery terminal. .This corrosion will ultimately sever the tie between the battery and its terminal, preventing any power from reaching the watch.

While you can clean the corrosive effects of Alkaline batteries with brushes and baking soda diluted in water, this process itself may pose risks to the watch's inner workings if any excess water seeps through.

Even with this risk and the intricate effort required to clean corrosion from your battery terminal, the results are often irreversible and will lead to the death of a of your solar watch. The lesson, then, is that you can replace your solar batteries, but you must be sure to use rechargeable batteries to ensure the proper function and survival of your watch.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    signum8, wtma, Dxnnis and 3 others like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by signum8 View Post
    Put the original OEM cell back in the watch, put the watch on a Sunny windowsill for a week or two and then get back to us with the newly charged watch.
    Dxnnis, Rocat and Motorcycle Man like this.

Here is why:

[QUOTE=Steelerswit;48757807]Jeweler is correct

The danger of using Alkaline batteries : Where an old rechargeable battery might not retain its charge as well as it used to, an Alkaline battery will only work for a short time and ultimately is capable of severely corroding your battery terminal. .This corrosion will ultimately sever the tie between the battery and its terminal, preventing any power from reaching the watch.

I'm sure I'm using Lithium and not Alkaline button batteries.

Still bad. Jeweler is still right and you can kill your watch.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Ok, thanks for the responses, I get the general idea.

Gene

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information