I guess they're meant to be scruffed?!?
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: I guess they're meant to be scruffed?!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I guess they're meant to be scruffed?!?

Several months ago I accidentally scraped my GA-100 against a wall and no amount of rubbing with an eraser or textured cloth could remove the scruff marks...

Well it happened again, to my GW-A1100 - at the exact same spot (and then some)...

Well instead of going hyper OCD like the last time, I'm just gonna take it in my stride and live with it. Let them scruff!! I checked Rakuten and found that bezel spare parts are available, not that I'll be buying but at least I know they're available should I want to replace them in future. I hope...

Just curious to know how you guy deal with scruff/scratch marks on your Gs? I know I know, they ain't Rolexe.. but still...
    MultiF100 likes this.

Re: I guess they're meant to be scruffed?!?

Hey Doughead!
    I feel your pain on this one. I have scuffed two of my Mudmen like this. The wall in my bedroom is painted white and is the rough textured style.
    When I make my bed and don't pull it far enough from the wall and go to tuck the sheet in the wall is like a white cheese grater on the black resin and leaves a mark. I just rub it off and then rinse it and wipe it down and whatever is left I live with. Eventually just things like shirt and jacket sleeves will wear some of it away. But, like you said, it's a G and it can, does, and will handle a lot worse than me making my bed! So I just live with it and try not to get too OCD or anal retentive about it. Just gotta enjoy them and know they are gonna get scuffed some.
    doughead and soulbridgemedia like this.
    SUA SPONTE

With my wear (nothing extreme, around the house, office, etc.) my g-shocks usually start to show age and those same marks after a year of owning them. I try to keep them new as long as possible, but after a year, that shine that new bezels usually have is gone from all the long sleeves scraping the bezel edges and straps get few shiny areas. Not some big marks and shiny areas, but just enough so you can see watch has been worn over last year.

It's somehow easier to wear them after that, you don't have to baby them so much anymore And good thing with (most) g-shocks is, you can easily buy replacement bezels, even in diffrent colors, and the watch looks brand new again.
    doughead and Mike K like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The fact that it always get scraped at the same spot shows its prone to it whenever I manoeuvre too close to a side wall/pillar/doorway. These aren't the only Gs that has suffered the same fate so I know it's only a matter of "sooner or later". Yes, it's always white-textured walls doing the honors! Yes the scruff marks do fade after a rundown but it's still there. I just have to accept it since they're resin/plastic. At least I know the bezels are replaceable and they're not prohibitively expensive. How true that psychologically at least I'll stop babying them, once I accept that they WILL get scruffed - in a matter of time - if I were to keep WEARING them! Cheers!
    MultiF100 likes this.

Funny story about scuff marks and getting over them.

Back in the fifties, after his stint in the USAF with SAC, my Dad sold Chevy's. Each year a Rancher would come in and buy a brand new Chevy truck. The Rancher told him what he did to get over the worry of the truck getting scratched was to go out and do it himself right after buying each truck. He would go out in his pastures and drive the truck through the scrub brush and scratch them up. Then he did not worry anymore about trying to keep the truck looking brand new. And he could use the truck the way it was intended on the ranch.

A bit extreme I admit. But it got the Rancher over his anxiety of scratches, dents, and dings.

I am not saying we drag our G-Shocks against the concrete. But the watch will get dinged up. I even joked about my PAW-1500 yesterday that received a door ding. I said that it was time to sell it because it was scratched. :)

Have a good day.
    Last edited by Rocat; May 18th, 2015 at 15:18.
    doughead, frhoads, idkfa and 3 others like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

It happens to all watches, sooner or later. Be it resin, stainless steel, or precious metal.

You can try to keep your resin watches as pristine as you can. But that won't stop resin rot.
    It will take maybe 10-15 years, 20+ years if you're lucky. But it will still rot, even if you just store it and leave it somewhere clean and dry.

So I say enjoy wearing it. If it gets badly damaged someday, you can always replace it with new spare resin. It won't be a problem since I don't think the X-Large Case design will ever be discontinued. It's pretty much a member now of G-Shock's staple designs (with DW-6900 and DW-5600.)
    frhoads and doughead like this.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Haha look at my G-SHOCK :DName:  IMG_1668.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  975.0 KB
    frhoads, Rocat and doughead like this.

The first scratch still irks me but I look forward to the watch as a whole developing a nice patina of sorts. Soft resin, like on the GW-5000, breaks in like a nice pair of jeans.
    Rocat, doughead and MultiF100 like this.

atleast the resin is doing its job protecting the crystal from scratches ;)
    MultiF100 and doughead like this.

Welcome to the owners club!

Seriously, if you want to baby a G, don't wear it. Otherwise, enjoy it as it meant to be. That's what I do, even to those rare-ish Frogmans.
    doughead likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information