I have my doubts...

Thread: I have my doubts...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have my doubts...

Hi all,

I was bidding for a DW-6600B FoxFire from bbtiesto on eBay and lost.

He came back to me with a Second Chance Offer, stating that he had another exact same model for sale.

So I asked him if this watch was in the same condition as the watch that I lost in the bid, and I also asked him to send me pictures of the watch that he is offering to me.

His reply was "Yes, that's the same as the auction one. If you want, i can give you the one in the auction. Is that ok?"

I'm a bit surprised with his reply. Is it because the previous bidder did not want the watch, and he was selling it to me instead, or am I thinking too much?

This is the auction in question : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MEBDIX:IT

What are your thoughts on this?
    No one ever works out and regrets it. You never go for a run, and then when you're finished, wish you would have stayed home. You never climb a mountain, get to the top, and say, "I should have just been content to stay where I was."

Re: I have my doubts...

As long as you work the deal through ebay/paypal you'll be protected. I say if you want the watch go for it.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I bidded on one just like that a couple of weeks ago and lost, love the green, bbtiesto sure comes up with alot of super nice G's,.. wonder where he gets them all?
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would NOT take the deal.

His reply was "Yes, that's the same as the auction one. If you want, i can give you the one in the auction. Is that ok?"
    This is a classic example of shill bidding. The seller uses a fake identity to drive up the bidding price. If the fake ID wins the auction, the seller will immediately offer the second highest bidder a second chance offer.

If the fake ID doesn't win the auction, at least it has artificially driven the price up for the winning bidder.

EDIT: NEVER accept second chance offers immediately after the auction ends. I personally don't accept second chance offers at all.

EDIT #2: I initially read the OP's post wrong, which lead me to the wrong conclusion. I no longer think there is any shill bidding. See my other post below.
    Last edited by raisedbyrats; September 4th, 2009 at 19:50.

I've been noticing that he is getting really great prices recently on his g's, that frankly were never that popular...

like a recent DW-9550, that I've sold for $50, and he's getting way over $100...very odd.

I've also gotten really great deals on a few Raysman from him, and wonder if anything odd was happening, that he is getting really fantastic prices.

But in the end, if you pay what you think is reasonable and the watch is in good condition, then I say go for it. I completely agree in principle about the shill bidding. I'd say, if this becomes a massive thread, that it's happening a lot then go from there.

Neil
    btw, I've always gotten fast shipping and good products from him.

I bid on a raysman from him and lost by a buck or something. He offered a second chance offer to me for my high bid (100 dollars) and I asked for pics of the other watch. It turns out the pics he sent me were of a better looking standard raysman with a titanium back whereas the one in the auction had a SS back. I took it but I don't have it in the mail yet to tell you how happy (or unhappy) I am. I have also noticed that recently his watches are skyrocketing in price. I feel like I have seen watches of similar model sell for quite a bit less in the past or on this forum, so I guess it's feasible that shill bidding is going on. Very hard to prove however so not much to do but what a previous poster said and that's to stick to your guns on how high you are willing to go for a watch. If you lose then another one will come back around sometime.

search this forum for his name. i know the previous threads are enough for me to form an opinion.

i had an experience with a different seller; a prolific seller of some really, really cool casio stuff. he had a (spendy) listing expire and i made a beginner's mistake. by the way, i'm not exactly saying he did anything "wrong" here, but.... my mistake was emailing him after the auction ended and making an offer for slightly less than his expired bin price. he gladly accepted and all seemed roses. turns out, the watch he sent was not the one pictured in the auction. the one sent was a little rougher (fine but certainly not as nice and with a low battery) than the watch from the listing. i am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the winner of the auction would have actually received the pictured watch.

the reason i bore you with this is i am very concerned about a seller in an actual completed auction not sending the winner the exact watch pictured.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Of course you shouldn't pay any price you're not comfortable with. As long as the price is okay with you I still think ebay and paypal offer protection enough for you to get your money back if things go really wrong.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks for providing the additional insight, guys.

Yep, one of my concerns was that shill bidding might have taken place.

In the meanwhile, I'll ponder about it for a couple more days (since the offer still has a couple of days before it ends).
    No one ever works out and regrets it. You never go for a run, and then when you're finished, wish you would have stayed home. You never climb a mountain, get to the top, and say, "I should have just been content to stay where I was."

Suspended

I wouldn't reward a shill with any more sales....unless I really wanted something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information