I hydro modded my Mudman yesterday
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I hydro modded my Mudman yesterday

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I hydro modded my Mudman yesterday

It was really easy. One small bottle of 1000cst oil was only $3.49 at the hobby shop. I probably spent more on gas getting there and back. The store is about 25 miles away, but I was already in the area for something else.

It was really easy. I put the oil bottle in a cup of hot water for about 10 minutes. I took the band and bezel off. Then unscrewed the caseback and took it off making sure not to disturb/damage the rubber gasket. I pulled the rubber thing off that goes around the battery. I made sure I did not lose the little spring. I then popped out the module and pored a small bit of oil in. I snapped the module back. I made sure not to touch the inside of the glass or to touch the display on the module. I poured more oil all around the module to fill the case the rest of the way. I put some oil on the caseback and screwed it down. Then I washed off the watch and dried it. Then I discovered I did not put that rubber thing back in around the battery. D'OH. So I unscrewed the caseback again and installed the rubber thing. I added more oil on the caseback before screwing down again. I also discovered you can snap off the rubber/plastic thing that goes around the caseback on the Mudman. This made it a lot easier to clean.

I only had 2 visible tiny bubbles about as small as the 0 in 200m written on the watch face. They have since disappeared. I let the watch sit dial up all night to see if any air bubbles appeared. None yet. There has to be some air somewhere in it I did not give the module a lot of time to bubble out before I closed the watch back up. Should I let some air in? Or should I just put it outside in my black closed vehicle in 90+ degree South Carolina summer heat and see what happens. It is a user/beater watch. I am leaning towards heating it up and seeing if it cracks or bursts open. It will be fun.

This Mudman is negative display. It makes the screen look great. It looks a lot more crisp. If the glass is really clean sometimes it looks like there is no glass there. I will get some pics up before I heat it up.

That is all.
    iamsupersam likes this.
    Knives are tools

Re: I hydro modded my Mudman yesterday

Can't wait to see the pix...sounds really cool:thanks
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

hey sparkem,

i am from the upstate of SC too. yeah, it's gonna get hot tomorrow for sure. it would be a good test if you place your muddy in a car all day but first i recommend wearing it for a day or 2. you've got the oil trapped between the back cover and the case cover plate no dought. let that bleed that out 1st..... that way you will notice if the seal has been defeated buy the heat and oil expansion.

the way the muddy case and module are designed i don't think you have much if any of a bubble. i kinda believe that you need one. the bubble will vary in size day to day and is definately temp related.

here is a recent shot of mine... can you find the bubble?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

double post
    Last edited by sparkem; June 13th, 2010 at 08:50.
    Knives are tools

Here are some quick pics. It was a green Mudman that I died black. The died straps would bleed on to my arm so I bought the orange ones here on the sales corner. I wore it a few days, still no visible bubble. I still think there has to be air somewhere trapped inside that cant make it up to the dial. Tomorrow it is supposed to be hot here in SC. Weather channel says 96 for the high. I am going to put in my truck in the sun to see what happens. If it does not expand itself to death, cool, it is one tough watch. If so, it was cheap and I have a solar atomic 6900 to wear.

Last edited by sparkem; June 13th, 2010 at 07:50.
    Knives are tools

Nice job! Looks real sharp, especially with the orange straps. I had the same bleeding problem when I dyed my Mudman also. Something about the resin makes it not cure as well as the clear jelly type.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Quick question gentlemen.
    Why did you take off the rubber ring around the battery? Was it to remove all air pockets and limit the bubbling? Or something else?
    Cheers,
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Aragon - 2 bigass divers
    Artego - Caribbean + 300M
    Casio - (too many G's)
    CREPAS - Loggerhead
    Dagaz - Zero I
    Omega - 2254.50 SMP, PW conversion
    Seiko - 1G mod Monster, mod 6309
    Vanguard - Special (classic)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

I dont know if you have to or not but I did it to get oil in easier.

It is in the truck now. Weather channel says 92 now.

Knives are tools

I left it in the truck for a few hours in direct sunlight. The watch was hot to the touch. The caseback was too hot to comfortably wear on the wrist. The case did not expand itself to death. I took all the plastic stuff off of the case and found a tiny amount of oil on the strap ends at the edge of the caseback. I am thinking it was just from the overlap like sappyg was talking about, well I hope. I put the watch in my pocked for work and when I got home I found two small bubbles inside. One is about the size of the 0 in 200m text on the face, same size as when I first did the mod. The other bubble was about twice as big. Did those first two bubbles float somewhere in the depths of the watch and resurface today? I dont think the watch pushed out oil and sucked in air when it cooled off. At least I hope that is not what happened. I am going to clean it really good and put it back in the vehicle for a day and see if I get any more oil.

What does everyone think?
    Knives are tools

Good luck with the experiment~That looks pretty hot inside the truck, ouch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information