I know this has been discussed here before, But...

Thread: I know this has been discussed here before, But...

I know this has been discussed here before, But...

I know this is a widely controversial topic, but, I have found something that I think really does maintain a new like condition for your rubber bezel and strap. I picked up some stuff last week for my T-top gaskets on the SS at the autoparts store and the other day I got to thinking about it and sprayed some on an older G I had laying around and man! It made it look like the day I brought it home, slightly softened it and did not leave it oily feeling. It is made for plastic, rubber and vinyl, its called Vinylex, a little pricey at 11 bucks for a small spray bottle but is really great stuff, it has a DH60 UV protectant that stays in the pores of the rubber and replaces the natural moisturizers of the rubber or plastic, that is what makes the material degrade is when UV rays dry it out and it starts to rot. I recommend it, really seems to be good stuff. There is also a website that tells more about it, Here is what the bottle looks like if anyone is interested.

Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: I know this has been discussed here before, But...

You betcha this works, I've been using a similiar product called Armour All that I get from the local auto parts store, for the last ten years. In fact, I just got a new G Shock yesterday, came home, set the time and date, tightened all the screws and then sprayed it down with this suff. Because these bands/bezels probaly have been stored in some hot tin warehouse for a couple of years, this first spray down just soaked into the bands/bezel in a matter of minutes, so I saturated it one more time. Do this about every 6 months and the bands/bezels will triple their shelf life. Regards

The same type of spray also sells as Armour All or Son of a Gun!

Originally designed for tyres, vinyl or car interiors so no reason it wont work on resin.
    Good stuff!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I personally refrain from using any chemicals on G-shock resin, regardless of how unintrusive they're claimed to be.

I found that few medium force swipes with rubberized pencil eraser like Staedtler or similar works the threat. It removes that artificial polished-resin look to its original matte finish, in most cases.

Other than that, a warm water wash with soft-medium toothbrush is all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by babola View Post
    I personally refrain from using any chemicals on G-shock resin, regardless of how unintrusive they're claimed to be.

I found that few medium force swipes with rubberized pencil eraser like Staedtler or similar works the threat. It removes that artificial polished-resin look to its original matte finish, in most cases.

A good idea to wash the scum off once in awhile, but a "toothbrush"?? You must work in the construction or sewer field! Hell, even if you go to the gym every day, you don't need a toothbrush. I loosen up my watch a hole or two, and wash and rinse it while it's on my wrist in the shower! But again, to "bring the band/bezel back to a soft and supple condition", please try one of the numerous products one would use on your leather/vinyl auto seats. Regards

Thats kinda how i've been on this topic for quite a while, sidelining the idea until this recent find. When I bought my new DW-6900 the other night, not sure how long its been sitting before I bought it out of the showcase, but the resin looked so dry and almost gray looking, you could rub the bezel with your finger and it would actually leave dry rub marks on it, I treated it tonight with the Vinylex it has a deeper darker looking black to both the strap and the bezel, looks and feels to be a much healthier material, almost like comparing dry skin to lotioned skin, here is a pic of before and after the treatment. Not sure you can tell as good as I can on the actual pictures on my computer, but there is a noticable difference.

Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcs View Post
    A good idea to wash the scum off once in awhile, but a "toothbrush"?? You must work in the construction or sewer field!

easy there...

easy there...
    +1 on the toothbrush - every G collector should have one!

Some of the used stuff you get on ebay can have quite a bit of wrist cheese that simple soap and water cant get at.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcs View Post
    A good idea to wash the scum off once in awhile, but a "toothbrush"?? You must work in the construction or sewer field! Hell, even if you go to the gym every day, you don't need a toothbrush.
    Mine needs a good toothbrushing once a week or so. I do go to the gym most days, but I don't go down sewers! Which is fortunate really, as I use the same brush for watches & teeth.

Excellent tip; I don't mind the shiny appearance resin gets after a while, but it's never even. I'll be trying that when my current G starts to look a bit shiny round the edges.
    'I never done it'

Thread Information