I might not buy a single 35th Anniversary Square...
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I might not buy a single 35th Anniversary Square...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I might not buy a single 35th Anniversary Square...

I'm excited to see what squares they come up with for the 35th, but I've been debating on whether I should buy one new. Hear me out.

1. I already have a bunch of squares. Too many some might say. Definitely more than I actually need.

2. Besides one, I've never bought a new Gshock at a retail or online dealer, all pre-owned. Many were like new with box, paperwork, etc, but not officially new.

3. I didn't buy any 20th Anniversary squares when they were released:
    Name:  20.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  103.1 KB

4. I didn't buy any 25th Anniversary squares when they were released:
    Name:  25.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  99.8 KB

5. I didn't buy any 30th Anniversary squares when they were released:
    Name:  30.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  117.5 KB

6. I didn't pay anywhere near the selling price of any of these, or what the price of the GW5035 is looking to be.

When the 40th Anniversary comes around there's a good chance I'll have a pic to add of some 35th's. At the moment though, I'm thinking I might sit this one out in the short term, relish in the anniversary anticipation and excitement, and live vicariously through my fellow F17ers!

fergfour

Re: I might not buy a single 35th Anniversary Square...

so far, nothing is tickling my fancy and for $400+ i could do much more damage~
    Fergfour, jzoo, Miklos86 and 1 others like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

i'm sticking to my guns and waiting for 2018 non-solar anniversary square screwbacks instead.
    Fergfour and erebus like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

(i'm pretty sure the 30th anniversary g-shock squares were released in 2013... and the 25th editions in 2008)
    xevious likes this.

I must agree with you, that $400 gives me a gut check. I think that in time they will be available for less than that, and especially used/well cared for.
    xevious likes this.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Like you, I try to avoid paying full retail. The only exception for me was the GD-350, about 4 years ago. That watch was so "perfect" for what I wanted, and I was very interested in getting the limited availability "VIBRATOR" label (which was changed to "VIBE ALARM"). I paid like $120 USD. You can now buy used examples in decent shape for sometimes less than half that. But they don't have the "VIBRATOR" label. Probably won't matter in the long run... unless the GD-350 ends up discontinued and enters a legendary status, where people start coveting ones with that label.

Anyway, I digress. It's all a matter of "metering" your desire. If you can resist, then do so. Firstly, the DW-5030C was selling around $250 in the beginning. But I guess the black IP with copper accents wasn't appealing to everyone, so they soon become discounted down to $200, sometimes even a little less. Gradually they've become less widely available on the used market, so prices started going up again. I'd not buy a 35th Anniversary model just yet. Wait a bit. See how it plays out. Maybe get one in a couple of months.

Or, wait even longer until there are fewer people seeking them out. I waited about 4 years for a 25th anniversary G-Shock, the DW-5025D. I got it about $100 cheaper that way (bought in early 2012). It was still new in locker box, with sticker and tags. I also waited about 9 years for the GW-9125D. It isn't brand new, but lightly used and the back plate is perfect. I got that one for probably close to $250 USD below original retail. I loved the design of that watch, but having enough other models to play with I was able to be patient... (plus, I'd actually stopped looking for a while and then it was only on a lark that I spotted one... if I was seriously wanting to get it I probably could have picked one up a few years earlier).
    Fergfour likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by gee_im_shocked View Post
    I must agree with you, that $400 gives me a gut check. I think that in time they will be available for less than that, and especially used/well cared for.
    Yes, I'm sort of banking on the fact that 5 years from now we'll be able get used ones in good shape at a much lower price. I understand this won't be true in every case but I just can't justify 400 for any square sorry. Some may be more limited than others as well, but then again, I've seen the DW5025P come up for auction again and again and they only made 2008 of them.
    xevious likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by taxico View Post
    (i'm pretty sure the 30th anniversary g-shock squares were released in 2013... and the 25th editions in 2008)
    Knowing that the 1st G was in 1983 it's not too hard to figure out the anniversary years, but when an individual model was released isn't always in the same calendar year. Take the GW5035 which some people are getting this year. Take these two 25th's. Not released in 2008, but 2007:
    Name:  DW-5025B-7JF.png
Views: 301
Size:  208.9 KBName:  GW-5625AJ-1JF.png
Views: 296
Size:  256.0 KB
    Last edited by Fergfour; September 8th, 2017 at 21:53.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Yes, I'm sort of banking on the fact that 5 years from now we'll be able get used ones in good shape at a much lower price. I understand this won't be true in every case but I just can't justify 400 for any square sorry. Some may be more limited than others as well, but then again, I've seen the DW5025P come up for auction again and again and they only made 2008 of them.
    The Spike Lee came down quite a bit in resale price for a while, and I almost bought one. But then in time they've gone up again. Who knows, might have been publicity on Spike Lee and people looking for novelty items with his name. I'd much rather own a DW-5030 screw back.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    The Spike Lee came down quite a bit in resale price for a while, and I almost bought one. But then in time they've gone up again. Who knows, might have been publicity on Spike Lee and people looking for novelty items with his name. I'd much rather own a DW-5030 screw back.
    Agree totally, I love my DW5030C and D. The Spike is nice too, but passed on it for petty reasons such as I'm not a huge fan of the display graphic, or the caseback, and although I have nothing against Mr. Lee I'm not a rabid fan of his either. One just sold on eb for 125 which is is a fair price to me for a nice screwback square.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information