I Own Two Casio G-Shock GW-510A - 20th Anniversary Edition - Battery Question
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I Own Two Casio G-Shock GW-510A - 20th Anniversary Edition - Battery Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Own Two Casio G-Shock GW-510A - 20th Anniversary Edition - Battery Question

I used to work for a company that did business with Casio, they used to give me watches all the time, I think I even have some prototypes.

Anyway, the one I really liked the most was the GW-510A which was the 20th Anniversary model, must have gotten it in 2004 or thereabouts. These have been in a drawer for 15 years and I decided I want to wear them again but neither will hold a battery charge after days of trying in the bright sun. They'll light up for a bit, but after a few hours they die.

I hate the solar thing, just want to put regular batteries in them. So that's my question: Can I put regular watch batteries into the GW510A instead of these lousy rechargeables?

Thanks
    Last edited by sportura; March 12th, 2016 at 18:55.

Re: I Own Two Casio G-Shock GW-510A - 20th Anniversary Edition - Battery Question

Yes you can.

I picked up a well worn GW-300 (basically the same watch as yours) for $5 with a shot battery and not wanting to put a $20 battery in a $5 watch put a CR1616 in instead. The watch is still working and still shows a 'high' charge.

Do remember to remove the 'charging' spring though, you don't want to explode the battery!

I posted about it here.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rar...on-919804.html

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; March 12th, 2016 at 20:11.
    Watch_Geekmaster likes this.

Re: I Own Two Casio G-Shock GW-510A - 20th Anniversary Edition - Battery Question

Quote Originally Posted by sportura View Post
    I hate the solar thing, just want to put regular batteries in them. So that's my question: Can I put regular watch batteries into the GW510A instead of these lousy rechargeables?
    The atomic feature will use slightly more power than a "traditional" G-Shock, which is why all of Casio's current atomic G's are also solar-powered.

It sounds like the current batteries are completely shot -- 12 years of "low" or no charge can do that and sometimes no amount of time in the sun can bring them back.

If they have spent "days in the bright sun," it sounds like the batteries need to be replaced -- but did you like the solar feature back when you first got the watches?

"Normal" lithium batteries cost a couple of dollars each, rechargeables can be had for less than $6 each. Once the rechargeable batteries are fully charged, these watches should stay on the "high" charge for six or nine months and then on "medium" for nine months or longer. I have quite a few solar/atomic watches and can't give them all enough "wrist time" to keep them all on "high," but if one or two drop to "M" I'll set them outside for a day of sun and they'll stay on "H" for eight or nine months again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    Yes you can.

I picked up a well worn GW-300 (basically the same watch as yours) for $5 with a shot battery and not wanting to put a $20 battery in a $5 watch put a CR1616 in instead. The watch is still working and still shows a 'high' charge.

Do remember to remove the 'charging' spring though, you don't want to explode the battery!

I posted about it here.

Mitch
    Thanks Mitch. Are you saying that I can just take the charging wire out, just cut it out? Also, what's the battery life like on normal watch batteries? 2 years? Less?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    The atomic feature will use slightly more power than a "traditional" G-Shock, which is why all of Casio's current atomic G's are also solar-powered.

It sounds like the current batteries are completely shot -- 12 years of "low" or no charge can do that and sometimes no amount of time in the sun can bring them back.

If they have spent "days in the bright sun," it sounds like the batteries need to be replaced -- but did you like the solar feature back when you first got the watches?

"Normal" lithium batteries cost a couple of dollars each, rechargeables can be had for less than $6 each. Once the rechargeable batteries are fully charged, these watches should stay on the "high" charge for six or nine months and then on "medium" for nine months or longer. I have quite a few solar/atomic watches and can't give them all enough "wrist time" to keep them all on "high," but if one or two drop to "M" I'll set them outside for a day of sun and they'll stay on "H" for eight or nine months again.
    I hated the rechargeable feature I hated the atomic feature and I hate the solar feature.

Perfect world, I can make this into a 'normal' watch by turning off the atomic feature in settings and nuking the rechargeable/solar feature with a traditional battery.

Possible?

Thanks Mitch. Are you saying that I can just take the charging wire out, just cut it out? Also, what's the battery life like on normal watch batteries? 2 years? Less?

I hated the rechargeable feature I hated the atomic feature and I hate the solar feature.

Perfect world, I can make this into a 'normal' watch by turning off the atomic feature in settings and nuking the rechargeable/solar feature with a traditional battery.

Possible?
    Possible.

No cutting required it is just a spring that tries to get lost on its own anyway! I can't picture it from memory but there are a couple of springs, one is running the sound and one the charging you should be able to figure out which one is which.

The CR1616 I put in is still going strong after 2.5 years and I expect a lot longer than that based on other G shocks performance.

For the atomic feature, just set the home city to one that is not in range of the radio signal and it won't attempt to sync, then set the time manually.

Mitch

Possible?
    Definitely possible, you'll just have to do a little research to figure out which of the (possibly three) springs is the one that completes the charging circuit when the case back is installed!

Take a look at the thread Mitch100 linked above and this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ery-41076.html

Even though that's a slightly different model in the thread I linked, pictures #5 and 6 show three small springs that will probably be on your watches as well. You shouldn't have to cut a wire to disable the charging circuit, just remove the "right" spring! One is apparently for the alarm, so that one should be easy to figure out. The other two...maybe they're identified elsewhere or someone else can tell us which spring does what, or maybe you'll have to experiment!

Also, pictures #2 and 3 in that thread are...wrong and/or lazy. The screws that attach the bracelet or strap to that model aren't typical screws:

Name:  screw post2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  8.2 KB

You just need to hold one end of the assembly with a small screwdriver while unscrewing the other end with another screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    For the atomic feature, just set the home city to one that is not in range of the radio signal and it won't attempt to sync, then set the time manually.
    On those older models, it's easy to turn off the reception -- it should be the third "menu item" when setting the watch for the first time after a battery change. Home City code, DST off/on/auto, and then Auto Receive off/on.
    idkfa likes this.

Out of all these posts, all I focused on was, "I think I have some prototypes".

Be careful converting to a normal battery. If not done right, you can fry the watch module.
    idkfa likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Very nice!
    sportura likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Definitely possible, you'll just have to do a little research to figure out which of the (possibly three) springs is the one that completes the charging circuit when the case back is installed!

Take a look at the thread Mitch100 linked above and this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ery-41076.html

Even though that's a slightly different model in the thread I linked, pictures #5 and 6 show three small springs that will probably be on your watches as well. You shouldn't have to cut a wire to disable the charging circuit, just remove the "right" spring! One is apparently for the alarm, so that one should be easy to figure out. The other two...maybe they're identified elsewhere or someone else can tell us which spring does what, or maybe you'll have to experiment!

Also, pictures #2 and 3 in that thread are...wrong and/or lazy. The screws that attach the bracelet or strap to that model aren't typical screws:

You just need to hold one end of the assembly with a small screwdriver while unscrewing the other end with another screwdriver.
    Fantastic, I'll do just that.

Appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information