If you can keep only 3 watches (Formal, Semi-Formal, Sports/Casual)
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: If you can keep only 3 watches (Formal, Semi-Formal, Sports/Casual)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post If you can keep only 3 watches (Formal, Semi-Formal, Sports/Casual)

I know this is virtually impossible for most of us in this forum, but I'd like to ask this question for my fellow WIS. This is not an "X > Y" contest; I just want to see the varied responses and preferences when it comes to the selection of watches. Perhaps it can help me re-evaluate my perception and appreciation on the true value of watches in general, not just it's intrinsic value, but it's sentimental/emotional value as well. Some responses may be unique, but that's what makes them special, imho.

The 3 watches of your selection will have to cater a specific attire: Formal, Semi-Formal, or Sports/Casual (or daily wearers/beaters).

If I didn't own a vast collection, my personal 3 would be:

1. Formal - Vacheron Constantin "Paris Boutique" Patrimony Traditionelle small seconds / Rolex Datejust I in Jubilee bracelet

My requirements are at least 38mm or smaller, cased in precious metal (or parts of it), clean dial (with or w/o date).

2. Semi-Formal - IWC Big Pilot / Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000

My criteria was it must have a robust mechanical movement, cased in steel, sapphire crystal, and a date window.

3. Sports/Casual - Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF / Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1

Must be all-digital, resin cased, 200m water resistance, with backlight/lume.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Re: If you can keep only 3 watches (Formal, Semi-Formal, Sports/Casual)

Formal - GW-5000

Semi-Formal - Casio GW-5000

Sports Casual - Casio GW-5000

Just kidding.

For my formal watch, I'd wear my Seiko SCVS009. It's 36 mm in case diameter so it suits the dress watch role. A little blingy given its sunburst dial, though.
    It was my first real watch and the one that marked my transition from normie to watch idiot.

As for a semi-formal watch, I think my Tudor Pelagos can pull it off. Some might argue that it's too tool watch looking. I think it's versatile enough and modern with the bracelet.

Tough choice for the sports casual category. I'm leaning toward my GW-5000. But I also love my Tunas.

I don't think I want to live in a world where I can only keep three. First world problems.
    idkfa, Crater, oz2124 and 1 others like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

I don't really see the need for both a semi-formal and formal watch. A true formal setting is quite rare, at least in my life, so I would not have the need to differentiate between a formal and semi-formal watch.

For me:

Sporty = GW-5000
    Casual = SBBN015
    Business/Formal = Omega AT or Grand Seiko SBGR051 (funded by the sale of the watches I can't keep).
    Ottovonn and Crater like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hope we will see the day when one can answer this question with all three being g-shocks... I would love to have my collection only g-shocks so I don't have to look at other brands when I want diver, pilot, dress etc.

So when you go in the mountains, you put on the Rangeman, big bulky resin g-shock. But then next day you go to work in business-casual environment and you can still wear a g-shock, something like older MR-G or MTG.

They just need to branch out to analog g-shock divers and dress watches and it's all set, Aviators are taken care of already.
    idkfa, Ottovonn and oz2124 like this.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Man, I might just keep my seiko 5, seiko coutura, and my g9300 and get rid of the rest lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater View Post
    I hope we will see the day when one can answer this question with all three being g-shocks... I would love to have my collection only g-shocks so I don't have to look at other brands when I want diver, pilot, dress etc.

So when you go in the mountains, you put on the Rangeman, big bulky resin g-shock. But then next day you go to work in business-casual environment and you can still wear a g-shock, something like older MR-G or MTG.

They just need to branch out to analog g-shock divers and dress watches and it's all set, Aviators are taken care of already.
    I think that despite its size, the MRG-1000 would make an awesome professional watch. It looks like it'd go well with a suit, though it might fit under the cuff.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Personally I don't really think of a distinction between 'Formal' and 'Semi formal watch'. Maybe I'm doing things wrong in life but I don't feel the need to have a 'formal' or dress watch. For me it's just 'tool watch' and 'slightly smarter watch', in which case I'll take my Tuna and my Tissot V8 chrono, and yes, I'd wear either of them with a suit.

1+2
    I don't care for "formal" or even "semi-formal" anymore, but I still have a few nice russians that should be "formal" enough.
    For a sport/casual watch I wear G-Shock and Swatch watches.

For the most part noone gives a sh*t about the watch I'm wearing, but I also don't care about what they can think so whatever makes me happy it's fine. That's usually a colorful plastic watch.
    soulbridgemedia and flying like this.
    Watches are fun IF you don't take them seriously.
    Too many watches for my signature... this is my SOTC thread on f71

When formal is what one would wear with a bespoke suit, and semi-formal with a of-the-shelf suit, then I should select a GW-5000 for the former, and any other watch with the latter. Were I to get into the unfortunate position of having to wear the latter, I should be entirely unencumbered by the choice of watch, for I would not give a .... about anything.

If the criteria are stricter, and formal means black or white tie, I should go for no watch whatsoever. Not that I'd expect to ever get into a situation where such clothes are appropriate, or even required.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I think that despite its size, the MRG-1000 would make an awesome professional watch. It looks like it'd go well with a suit, though it might fit under the cuff.
    I wear a MRG-G1000 for work, and it is actually not bad for fitting under cuffs, at least for me. It is a big watch in diameter, but the lug to lug distance and thickness is really no worse then a lot of automatic chronographs out there, and many people wear those with suits all the time

I don't have a formal watch, never needed one, but I can definitely make do with just a MRG-G1000 for work, and a GW-5000 for sport/casual
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information