If you could choose only one of these screwbacks...

Thread: If you could choose only one of these screwbacks...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gift If you could choose only one of these screwbacks...

I'd like to get a screwback, but am currently undecided on which one. The last one is at a disadvantage because of price, but I'm including it anyways.

1. Original, vintage DW-5600C variant.
    Pros: It's the original!
    Cons: the hardest part is getting one with a nice glass.

2. DW-5025 Ocean Grey
    Pros: Unique looks, 25th Anniversary.
    Cons: (for me ) No auto-EL.

3. GW-5000
    Pros: Chock-full of tech.
    Cons: Price, and no composite bracelet for that price ???

I'd personally go for #1 or #2. I already have a GW-M5600, so I've got solar/atomic covered.

What say ye?
    Last edited by pakupakuman; June 20th, 2010 at 16:45. Reason: typo!

Re: If you could choose only one of these screwbacks...

#1 for me, as I like the original.

Quote Originally Posted by pakupakuman View Post
    I'd like to get a screwback, but am currently undecided on which one. The last one is at a disadvantage because of price, but I'm including it anyways.

1. Original, vintage DW-5600C variant.
    Pros: It's the original!
    Cons: the hardest part is getting one with a nice glass.

2. DW-5025 Ocean Grey
    Pros: Unique looks, 25th Anniversary.
    Cons: (for me ) No auto-EL.

3. GW-5000
    Pros: Chock-full of tech.
    Cons: Price, and no composite bracelet for that price ???

I'd personally go for #1 or #2. I already have a GW-M5600, so I've got solar/atomic covered.

What say ye?
    I'd say go for the original 5600C, it's one of my favorites. Older, yes, but also very comfortable and will only become harder to find down the road.

The Ocean Grey is nice but you can always pick up one of those fairly easily. Readily available still, and a great module w/ EL backlight.

The last is also one of my favorites. I wear it alternatley w/ the 5600C. Super comfy as well (really the same case as the Ocean Grey) and good module. I like the combo of the solar and atomic but don't need the atomic so much, but I guess that's just a personal thing.

Either way you'll be getting a great watch that'll last for years to come.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nr. 1 and its not so hard to get one with a good glass. they always come up again, you need a bit of luck of course, but it will come for sure!
    regards,
    gerry fonklover

None of the above but the DW-5000SL instead . Very close to the original design of the DW-5000 and the bezels and straps of the DW-5600E work too, so as long as the DW-5600E is produced you'll always get spare parts. For a DW-5600C it will get harder to find replacement parts - some have said that the bezel screws are already discontinued - so you never know if you can restore one even if you find one.
    The GW-5000 is also a good choice of course - also compatible with the DW-5600E bezel and strap - same case as the DW-5000SL or DW-5025. I prefer the 1545 module however (even though it has some disadvantages - but it does show current time in stopwatch and timer mode - something the GW-5000 does not).
    I couldn't be happier than with the 'Spike Lee':

I even like the backlight picture - sometimes I press the light button just for fun :

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Whilst I agree with everything Sedi said, the DW-5000SL feels more like a DW-5600E than a DW-5600C. I've compared the C & SL side by side, and the actual differences are tiny. Tiny. But the SL just somehow feels the lesser watch. I haven't tried a 5025, but I would image the same would apply given they share the same case/bezel.

The GW-5000 would compliment it nicely, if you can justify the price; but I'd definitely have the DW-5600C as my first choice.
    'I never done it'

GW-5000 for me, but mostly on the looks (which is very subjective). I just love the sharp grey-black-white colour scheme, with just the flash of colour on the G-Shock logo.

Pricey - yes. I can say that when you hold the watch in your hands, or put it on your wrist though, that you don't feel ripped off.

@David S
    Probably a matter of taste . The DW-500SL feels more solid to me than a DW-5600C (it's also higher - the case is thicker). It doesn't wear like a DW-5600E at all IMO. I can't wear the 'E' because the corner of the backplate rubs on my wristbone so I get red marks and it's highly uncomfortable. Something which won't happen on either 'SL' or 'C'.
    Besides I don't have to worry about bezel or strap (or bezel screws) on the 'SL'. I also like the EL more on the 'SL' than the light-bulb on the 'C'. And last but not least the strap attachment - the 'C' has swivel lugs which make the watch move to the outside of my wrist (something I really don't like) - while the strap on the 'SL' keeps the watch better in place because the strap can't move at the lugs.
    All in all I much prefer the 'Spike Lee'. All of my points are true for the Ocean Grey and GW-5000 too of course.

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I like the look of the Spike Lee model. It's growing on me seeing it in all the pics posted.
    Mechagodzilla find me a G-Shock in Tokyo!!

Smile Re: If you could choose only one of these screwbacks...

Solved - just won a vintage C on the bay!

Stay tuned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information