I'm so paranoid right now

Thread: I'm so paranoid right now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm so paranoid right now

Hi all,
    Is it true that when I change a battery on my G Shock, there is a possibility that the watch is no longer waterproof? i just bought a non solar watch and now wonder if i made the right choice. Does changing the battery affect the quality of G shock? Thanks for your help

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: I'm so paranoid right now

of course there is a possibility. but if you do it right, everything will be fine. just lube the gasket with silicon grease or replace it if necessary. also make sure to tight the screws only gentle (and always crosswise) or you kill the threads. btw: what g-shock did you buy?

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

It depends: normal watchmakers will not be able to guarantee waterproofness after a battery replacement, and neither can you, but you can send it in to a Casio service centre, where they will presure test it after changing the battery, which will guarantee waterproofness.

This will cost a bit more, but then again, you only have to do it once a decade or so.

On the other hand, I've changed a few batteries and just assumed it would still be waterproof - this has always worked for me, but then I've never taken a G-Shock deeper than 10 ft. Still, lots of swimming, bit of snorkling and even plenty of hot showers, and never a problem. But as said, if you want to be absolutely 100% sure: Casio sevice centre.

Hope that helps,

Paul

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is what I love about quartz watches - I can service it myself. No dealers, watchmakers, etc. Agree that there's no guarantee of water resistance, but like whats already been said, if you do it right there's a very high percentage that it will retain its water resistance. I might invest on a pressure tester some day.
    seiko · orient · citizen · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · apple watch

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    GiveDirect -
    https://www.givedirectly.org/
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/
    Save The Children - http://www.savethechildren.org/

Follow the DIYSelf guide found on this forum properly and you would be good to go. I done many myself with never any issues. I even pressure tested afterwards with not a single failure. Make sure you clean the gasket and use proper silicon sealant. No worries, it is just fine. Battery change with water pressure testing would cost you somewhere around $60 minimum. In my opinion it is not worth it. Besides, you could probably buy a new watch for that amount of damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Patra View Post
    Hi all,
    Is it true that when I change a battery on my G Shock, there is a possibility that the watch is no longer waterproof? i just bought a non solar watch and now wonder if i made the right choice. Does changing the battery affect the quality of G shock? Thanks for your help
    thanks for the reply:)
    this week i got G7700 which i'm wearing right now, G2900 and GW6900:)...still looking for more!
    Last edited by Patra; January 6th, 2011 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by watch_tech View Post
    Follow the DIYSelf guide found on this forum properly and you would be good to go. I done many myself with never any issues. I even pressure tested afterwards with not a single failure. Make sure you clean the gasket and use proper silicon sealant. No worries, it would is just fine. Battery change with water pressure testing would cost you somewhere around $60. In my opinion is not worth it. You could probably buy a new watch for that amount of money...
    Thanks for a quick reply:)...yeah i can buy a new watch with 60 bucks...i don't plan to go swimming or diving or anything like that...as long as i can still walk in the rain with my watch on ...i will be ok...:)
    Last edited by Patra; January 6th, 2011 at 23:05.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

G-7700 huh? good choice, great functions, CR2025 lithium battery - you don't have to worry for the next ten+ years

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Thank you for all your help....i'm just going to enjoy my new watches for now....:)

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    G-7700 huh? good choice, great functions, CR2025 lithium battery - you don't have to worry for the next ten+ years

cheers
    really? 10 years? i know that my G2900 has 10 years battery...but G7700 as well? that's great...it is a good watch....EXTREAMLY comfortable....i was going to go for a negative display but decided to go for a basic...
    someday i want to buy a frogman....just for now...it is too big for me:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information