I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

Thread: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Member flipangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    916

    I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Just had to vent. Was browsing Ebay tonight. Couldn't believe how many fake Gshocks are listed. I've reported them in the past but they are so prevalent now that there isn't enough time in the day to report all the fakes. And I'm not sure what reporting them will do anyways. Does Ebay even take action!?

    Sorry, had to vent!
    "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."--Albert Schweitzer

  2. #2
    Member Maine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northants, UK
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    I know - I have to use searches without particular words, e.g. "G-shock -giftbox" goes a long way to getting rid of that spamming fake-selling *******.

    I've been reporting for about 6 months, but he and all the others just never leave.

  3. #3
    Member natornate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    I cannot remember when I saw an auction for anything I've reported removed. eBay likes getting the fees... fake or legit the fees are the same.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Sedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bamberg, Germany
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Usually I don't care but on German ebay there aren't much fakes - except for an occasional 'FAPE' - I used to report them (even telling in the report how to spot the fake) - but nothing ever happened. I also wrote some of the sellers (in my naivety I thought 'maybe some don't know it's fake' - after all it were privates sellers) - no response of course. And the 'hidden-buyer'-feature also doesn't help much . I wonder why ebay doesn't get sued on a regular basis? If I were Casio I'd be a little more concerned over this - after all it's damaging to the image. I wonder how many people who bought fakes unknowingly, think 'I knew Casio was just cheap crap' after drowning the watch washing their hands?
    So I'm less concerned with the fakes per se but with the effect it might have on the company we all love .

    Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

  6. #5
    Member sl8763's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Airdrie, AB
    Posts
    2,004

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    We need to get someone at Casio to step in. The only way eBay will do the right thing is if they get contacted by the copyright holder. Until that happens they can very easily blow off all our auction reports. Unfortunately, reporting fakes is a waste of time unless someone official gets involved.

    I hate to say it, but I've stopped caring. It sucks that fakers are making money off Casio's good name by selling junk. It sucks that Casio is missing out on profits and potentially turning off buyers who think their shoddy fakes are real. It sucks that people are paying money for something they want and not getting it. But honestly, if they can't be bothered to do their due diligence as buyers, not to mention using some common sense (BAPE for $30?! More than 10 available? USE YOUR HEAD), and Casio won't lift a finger to curb the fakery, then it's not my battle to fight for them.
    Last edited by sl8763; March 3rd, 2010 at 10:11.
    Simon

    WTB - More wrists

  7. #6
    Member flipangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    916

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    We need to get someone at Casio to step in. The only way eBay will do the right thing is if they get contacted by the copyright holder. Until that happens they can very easily blow off all our auction reports. Unfortunately, reporting fakes is a waste of time unless someone official gets involved.

    I hate to say it, but I've stopped caring. It sucks that fakers are making money off Casio's good name by selling junk. It sucks that Casio is missing out on profits and potentially turning off buyers who think their shoddy fakes are real. It sucks that people are paying money for something they want and not getting it. But honestly, if they can't be bothered to do their due diligence as buyers, not to mention using some common sense (BAPE for $30?! More than 10 available? USE YOUR HEAD), and Casio won't lift a finger to curb the fakery, then it's not my battle to fight for them.
    I understand what you're saying but for us Casio enthusiasts, it's very apparent that a BAPE can't cost $30, but for the novice or for someone just looking for a cool watch to give their girlfriend or boyfriend as a gift, they have no idea what a BAPE even is. All they see is a colorful watch that's supposed to be made by Casio. THOSE are the people I feel sorry for.
    "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory."--Albert Schweitzer

  8. #7
    Member natornate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    If I remember properly Casio does monitor this forum in one manner or another. If they don't care why should we? If they hit hard times some day they will get no sympathy from me.

    Over time the negative perception of the crap sold in their name will and does cost them sales. They want to run by the seat of their pants and risk a strong future because they are too busy making money now they deserve to fail.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

  9. #8
    Member GatorJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by natornate View Post
    I cannot remember when I saw an auction for anything I've reported removed. eBay likes getting the fees... fake or legit the fees are the same.

    eBay is not going to end an auction because they receive a message from "Joe Ebayer" claiming an item is counterfeit. Casio itself is going to have to take action for anything to happen on a widespread basis on eBay.

  10. #9
    Member David S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    1,677

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flipangle View Post
    I understand what you're saying but for us Casio enthusiasts, it's very apparent that a BAPE can't cost $30, but for the novice or for someone just looking for a cool watch to give their girlfriend or boyfriend as a gift, they have no idea what a BAPE even is. All they see is a colorful watch that's supposed to be made by Casio. THOSE are the people I feel sorry for.
    And the fact that this is how these people see them is the reason that these fakes aren't directly affecting Casio's bottom line. The people buying a £20 FAPE off eBay don't want a shock-proof, 200m water resist watch with a 24hr CDT, 5 alarms, etc, etc, they want a big bright watch. If the FAPEs didn't exist, they be buying a cheap, bright plastic watch from someone else.

    I said directly because the fakes undoubtedly do some damage to Casio's brand reputation; probably not much, for the same reasons as above. The buyers know little about G-Shocks, so aren't expecting a super-tough watch-if they bash it into something, they aren't too suprised when it breaks. They probably replace it with another colour/design long before it wears out, and even if it did last them until the battery started to run out, would they even consider a new battery? I doubt it.

    It is frustrating to see the fakers continuing to get away with it, and eBay doing nothing. I suppose all we can do is continue to be freindly and helpful to people coming to this forum for advice because they are concerned about getting a geuine one.
    'I never done it'

  11. #10
    Member natornate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    2,952

    Re: I'm so sick of fakes on Ebay!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorJ View Post
    eBay is not going to end an auction because they receive a message from "Joe Ebayer" claiming an item is counterfeit. Casio itself is going to have to take action for anything to happen on a widespread basis on eBay.
    They used to, I've seen auctioned ended on what I think was my input only and have had my auctions ended for what seemed like trivial complaints that were in error or malicious. Maybe this is why they stopped doing it. Too much gradeschool crap with sellers trying to sink the business of their competition.

    I don't own Casio stock nor do I work for them. They could go under and I'd be effected little. Not like I don't already have enough of their watches to set me for life.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •