I'm in trouble....DW5030c
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I'm in trouble....DW5030c

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm in trouble....DW5030c

So I've been looking to get my first G-Shock. More specifically I've been looking to get a DW5600, or perhaps one of the solar variants.
    The other day I walk into a Nordstrom Rack and notice a DW5030c on sale.
    Being unfamiliar with G-Shocks, I do a quick WUS search on my smartphone and find out that this is the 30th anniversary model with stainless steel case.
    So I end up buying the watch, but decided to sell it since I was looking for a beater and not a collectible, limited edition watch.

I post it in the the for sale forum. Problem is...I've been wearing it today and I'm starting to really like the watch.
    I like the solid, weighty feel of the steel case. I like the look of the copper/ rose cold buttons and keeper.
    Despite or originally wanting to buy a solar/ atomic 5600 for a beater, this watch speaks to me. I want to keep it.

What do you guys think. Should I keep this watch as, perhaps not a "beater", but a daily wearer?
    Or sell to get the beater that I was originally looking for?

Stupid watch hobby.Name:  1.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  559.4 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  461.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  355.9 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  468.5 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  553.4 KB

Re: I'm in trouble....DW5030c

Alternatively, I could get the GWM5610 for the added solar and atomic functionality. But no steel case, screw back and copper buttons....

If the budget allows, I would keep it as a daily watch and get a plastic cased 5600 as a beater (may be a cheap but still capable DW-5600E). I love screw back G's, and to me at least, they feel much more special than the normal plastic cased ones

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMG_0598.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  1.02 MB
    This is mine after being used as a daily watch for 18 months. I have lots of squares but this has a different feel on the wrist. Definitely keep this one.
    Marrin, sticktodrum and mitadoc like this.

can you afford to wear it as a beater ? just replace strap keeper to a regular resin one then it's beater - unless you have a nagging wife with a few toddlers hungry for milk

aalin: thats a great idea. I'm actually thinking of getting a used/ cheap beaten up G on ebay for a beater.
    Alex: Thanks for the perspective. I've never had a G, but I guessing that after wearing this steel cased one, the resin cased ones won't do it for me=)
    G-fob - I can definitely afford to use it as a beater, but since it's a more rare/ collectible model, I don't want to treat it like a beater! =) Also, no kids, but I do have a live-in girlfriend who doesn't quite understand this watch obsession!

Quote Originally Posted by adimaano56sl View Post
    aalin: thats a great idea. I'm actually thinking of getting a used/ cheap beaten up G on ebay for a beater.
    Alex: Thanks for the perspective. I've never had a G, but I guessing that after wearing this steel cased one, the resin cased ones won't do it for me=)
    G-fob - I can definitely afford to use it as a beater, but since it's a more rare/ collectible model, I don't want to treat it like a beater! =) Also, no kids, but I do have a live-in girlfriend who doesn't quite understand this watch obsession!
    Seems like you can afford to keep this and buy a cheap beater, that is I think the way to go. I rekindled my passion for G Shock two years ago when I purchased a G-5600E-1, a resin square with solar. However, the more I read about G-Shock and its history, the more I want a screw back square. I now have 3 screw back squares, and I'm sure that the collection will only grow. I still kept the G-5600E-1 as a beater though, it is lighter than screw back (better for sport) and it is solar as well (changing batteries on a screw back can be a hassle if you don't have the right tool)

Guess what I'm trying to say is I started with resin squares, then discovered the joy of screw back and now find it hard to turn back. It's a good thing that you started with a screw back, and you found a great model to start your G-Shock collection with :)

It's a good looking and I think, a sort after square! I'd definitely keep and it buy a regular 5600e and use that as a beater or even a daily. Keep the 5030 as a weekender- it's sooo nice!

Do what Gfob says and wear it as a beater
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

Ah! You're hooked in to the weird and wacky world of G-ness already.

My advice - for what it's worth - keep the DW-5030C and wear it regularly (but perhaps not for mixing cement or clearing the drains). If you don't wear it, you won't get the pleasure of it. And also buy yourself a cheaper DW-5600E (used or new) as a beater for rough jobs where you still need to have a watch.

The "humble" DW-5600E is still a classic G-Shock and also space flight-approved by NASA - just like the Omega Speedmaster Professional - distinguished horological company indeed!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information