Impact of Fakes

Thread: Impact of Fakes

Impact of Fakes

I posted a thread earlier about buying a fake G to use some parts such as the band as a replacement for my real G. This was in violation of the forum rules which I obviously didn't read closely enough when I joined. The promotion of fakes and counterfeiting in general is not permitted on these boards.

I did not intend to promote the use of fake goods, but realize that by mentioning them and how I was going to use them, that is exactly what I was doing. I am out of work and was simply looking for the cheapest possible watch to use. However, the low cost for fake G's does not justify promoting counterfeiting, just as the lack of money does not allow one to steal.

Fake G's and other knock-off goods are often available for a fraction (in this case less than 1/10th) of the real price, and for someone knowledgeable of the product, there would not be much confusion over which was real and which isn't. There real G product image is not being tarnished by such as case. The bigger problem lies where fake goods are passed off as the real thing, by increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters who can oftentimes fool the actual manufacturer of the goods being faked. Walk into a Levi's store on 5th Ave in NYC and purchase a pair of jeans at full retail price only to find out that they are fakes.

The global counterfeiting business is growing out of control with knock-off medication hitting the biggest pharmaceutical companies, faked mitsubishi elevators installed in buildings here in China to fake engine blocks in your Mercedes.

Re: Impact of Fakes

How do you know you're living in the real Shanghai?
    May be you're in the neighboring city/state, sort of like NYC and New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Jagger View Post
    I posted a thread earlier about buying a fake G to use some parts such as the band as a replacement for my real G. This was in violation of the forum rules which I obviously didn't read closely enough when I joined. The promotion of fakes and counterfeiting in general is not permitted on these boards.

I did not intend to promote the use of fake goods, but realize that by mentioning them and how I was going to use them, that is exactly what I was doing. I am out of work and was simply looking for the cheapest possible watch to use. However, the low cost for fake G's does not justify promoting counterfeiting, just as the lack of money does not allow one to steal.

Fake G's and other knock-off goods are often available for a fraction (in this case less than 1/10th) of the real price, and for someone knowledgeable of the product, there would not be much confusion over which was real and which isn't. There real G product image is not being tarnished by such as case. The bigger problem lies where fake goods are passed off as the real thing, by increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters who can oftentimes fool the actual manufacturer of the goods being faked. Walk into a Levi's store on 5th Ave in NYC and purchase a pair of jeans at full retail price only to find out that they are fakes.

The global counterfeiting business is growing out of control with knock-off medication hitting the biggest pharmaceutical companies, faked mitsubishi elevators installed in buildings here in China to fake engine blocks in your Mercedes.
    Fake elevators??? Wow that is really bad when public safety is put at risk and of course not to mention the fake medication hitting the market as well. I agree that this counterfeiting business is out of control. However, I am not sure it can be put back in the box. I guess the old adage of buyer beware is to be in place in this situation.
    Watches
    Omega: SMP 300, SMP 2254, Seamaster GMT, and Speedmaster Moon Watch
    Rolex GMT
    Ocean LM-7 PloProf
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Suunto Advisor
    PAG 40, PAG 80, PRG-200-1DR, and PAW 1300
    G2300
    Riseman
    Frogman: First Frogman 6300, GWF-1000, Dawn Black, MIRB, MIY, 8200, Brazilian Frogman ,Snakekiller Frogman, GW-204K-9JR ICERC
    G-7900 mod
    Mudman G-9000 jamming color
    DW-6100 python camo mod
    DW-6100-CF python (2)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    fakes have been around since the Dark Ages - there were famous sword-blacksmiths back then who got copied - the fakes were made of cheap steel that was of course no way near the quality of the original. People noticed when having the first fight with a fake sword - they just broke - probably resulting in the death of its owner. So there's really not much one can do except trying to avoid them in every possible way. We as watch enthusiasts are kind of lucky because so far there hasn't been a single fake G that really looked like the real deal. Only people who aren't well informed (and there's lots of people who don't know enough about watches to spot a fake) will fall for fake Gs. But buying one knowingly can't be excused I think - especially not on a watch forum. There's lots of watches that offer a lot for little money - especially from Casio - so I really don't see any reason to buy a fake.
    Fake Products in other areas can be really very dangerous of course - for example fake brake pads or fake medication. And I'm glad we got custom officers (who really aren't paid enough considering the importance of their job) who do everything they can to get fakes out of the market. So I always take that in consideration when another watch of mine gets stuck for weeks in customs .

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Jagger View Post
    I did not intend to promote the use of fake goods
    Understood, and not a problem.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

While I have several colleagues who proudly sport authentic Gs, there is one who also sports an analog Frogman, and another one who wears a fake Riseman. And that's not counting some of the security guards in our building who are also wearing fake Gs.

My boss (a company VP) sometimes wears a fake Frogman to the office, says he borrowed it from one of his sons. Considering his salary, he can very well afford the retail price of ten authentic Frogmen. But considering his age, I think he just sees G-Shocks as a fashion accessory, because he also owns at least two elegant analog timepieces.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Thread Information