Impressions: Casio G-shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

Thread: Impressions: Casio G-shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Impressions: Casio G-shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

I just received a GW-700BTJ that I had bought off the sales forum, and despite it looking like one of the most bad*ss G-shocks out there, you rarely see these being brought up. As such, I figured I'd share some impressions about this particular model.

The first time I saw this picture of the GW-700, I immediately fell in love with it. The all black look combined with the big and bold negatively displayed digits gives this watch a very imposing and menacing look. But then came the sticker shock; on average this G-shock runs for over $300 new, which is a large difference between other members of the Black Force collection that run for closer to $150 on average. In looking over the feature list, I really didn't understand the huge price difference until only very recently with some digging on Google. It turns out that the GW-700 makes heavy use of titanium in its construction, something that is strangely not mentioned at all in most of the feature lists I've read for this watch. When a used one finally showed up, I didn't hesitate at all in pulling the trigger on it.

Here's the box that the GW-700 arrived in. I was at once pleasantly surprised and also disappointed. Given that this G-shock costs quite a bit more than the average G-shock, I was hoping it would've came in a hard case of some sort. At the same time, I actually find the raw cardboard packaging very distinct and unique, certainly if you're used to the usual black cardboard boxes with red G-shock logo that most G-shocks come in. It actually hints that whatever's inside is not your usual G-shock, at least if you've been around a lot of G-shock packagings.

And here's the GW-700 itself. I was also at once surprised and disappointed with it. It is considerably more subdued in real life; somehow I had been hoping that most of the black IP finish would have a little more luster to it, but it is a very, very flat, matte black. The case itself a combination of titanium and hard plastic; at first glance I do not see a hint of resin anywhere on this watch. The buttons are hard plastic as well. It is of course very light, given the half titanium, half plastic construction.

The face is one part that disappoints me, specifically the solar panel; it is glaringly obvious and the purple tint of it, combined with its large surface area, stands out a lot. It really breaks up the black look of the watch. I do love the negative digits however, as expected, they are gray shaded. They can be hard to read at certain angles or in certain lighting, as with most negative displays. The EL lighting is nothing to write home about...it's the usual sickly shade of green. I'm very surprised Casio didn't go with a blue shaded EL instead, it would've matched the Black Force theme much better.

I'm not sure of the bezel is titanium or stainless steel; the look of it compared to the bracelet leads me to think that it's stainless steel, as it has a slightly shinier appearance whereas the bracelet has a duller appearance. A nice touch is the polished shiny black inner rim of the bezel, it gives the watch a bit more pop.

The bracelet itself is excellent; the links are all solid titanium, with a pin and sleeve system holding them together. There is no wiggle room or rattling. Even the entire clasp is titanium; looking underneath the clasp reveals a rainbow like finish like that of certain titanium nitride finishes. I believe this is accidental, it's in fact sloppy, but does highlight the fact that the clasp is titanium. The clasp itself has three fine adjustment holes.

I was rather surprised at how tall this watch was from lug to lug...the case's top and bottom sections extend out quite a bit more than most G-shocks, and the lugs themselves are quite huge. I have a 6" wrist and the lugs actually overshoot my wrists slightly; fortunately they're also highly curved so it follows my wrist naturally.

The IP plating of this watch feels different compared to that of the stainless steel Black Force watches. It has a much smoother, finer satin-like finish, whereas with the stainless steel Black Forces, the IP plating feels almost as if it's just been painted on. The IP plating also seems much tougher; in looking at the underside of the bracelet where the clasp touches the bracelet, it has so far seemed much less prone to just scraping off. In essence, it's almost feels as if the titanium had been born black instead of it having been IP plated; the IP plating is just very well integrated to the titanum.

Overall, I like the GW-700 very much, and I would happily pay full price for it if I were to buy it again. Apparently these are very difficult to find nowdays, so if you are considering one of these and ever have the chance to nab one, I'd highly recommend going for it.

And here's a group hug with two of my other favorite G-shocks.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Impressions: Casio G-shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

@ elsydeon,

very nice watch, review and pictures - thanks a lot for that. I always liked this specific model too from the first time I saw it, but never was aware of the titanium parts and can't recall ever to read about it, very interesting.

the one thing that disappoints me big time about that watch is the lack of a countdown timer which makes it unfortunately a 100% no-go for me. thats sad but I got my principles.

other than that its a real looker and comes close to my MTG-911:

regards, holger

TTT

That is one sexy watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The "T" in the model designation indicate Titanium Band,hence the high price tag. The bezel and other metal parts are made of stainless steel.

I am with Holger that no countdown timer is a huge no-no... Casio should have stick with the CDT, instead of Time Memo...

It is a beautiful watch, though.

Cheers,
    MountainMike

I have this watch. Got it from Higuchi several years ago, IIRC. The back is titanium, as well as the band. I am not sure what metal the bezel is made out of. The inside part of the band where the clasp rubs when it is closed will lose its plating eventually.

Overall it is a nice watch, even though it is somewhat difficult to read in many lighting conditions. I got it to wear on my jogs, and used it for roughly 1000 miles of running with no adverse effects on the watch other than the rubbing described above. But the band started to rub my wrist raw in a certain area, so I got a GW-5600 to run with instead.

Elsydeon:

Great, detailed write-up!

Quick question. In the photo with the three watches, what is the model number of the watch on the left ?

A very thorough and honest review, and with excellent pictures.

Thanks for sharing!

Banned

Thumbs Up Casio G-Shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

Quote Originally Posted by Elsydeon View Post
    Overall, I like the GW-700 very much, and I would happily pay full price for it if I were to buy it again. Apparently, these are very difficult to find nowadays so if you are considering one of these and ever have the chance to nab one, I'd highly recommend going for it.
    Excellent review! I took your advice. I pulled the trigger today. I bought from http://stores.ebay.com/Joyful-Japan
    Last edited by Evel Knievel; February 14th, 2008 at 12:20.

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

Good job and congrats! I do believe the few remaining on Ebay may be one of the last sources for non-Japan buyers to get this watch, and I almost did buy one through Ebay myself. Do let us know how you like it when it arrives, I'd be curious to hear your opinion on the GW-700 too.

Re: Casio G-Shock GW-700BTJ-1JF Black Force

I'm really interested in this because of the Ti band...

Man, tough that they are so scarce. The price is getting up there!
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information