impressions on GW-3000 "Sky Cockpit"

Thread: impressions on GW-3000 "Sky Cockpit"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

impressions on GW-3000 "Sky Cockpit"

so, i've had my Sky Cockpit about a week now and thought i'd offer some initial impressions.

for a long time i've been wanting an all-analog G. i tried the AWG-100, but quickly discovered that i don't care for ani-digi mix and i found the hands too thin.

so:

-very legible, the orange on black color scheme works very well.
    -not to cluttered, you can tell the time just fine without having to tune out the subdials.
    -the limited 24 minute chrono has not hampered any timing needs thus far. given the "air race" theme of the watch, 24 minutes is a -long- time for such endeavors.
    -good sync'er. i live in upstate NY, USA and it has not failed to sync yet. it sits on a nightstand at night, about one foot away from an air conditioner.
    -the domed crystal seems quite thick, and i'm one of those strange fellows that enjoys some distortion at low angles.
    -band is wide and comfortable. not as velvety/soft as my Riseman, but the keeper doesn't move around and it has my preferred double tang buckle.

but:

-lume is just "fair". on par with my Citizen NY0040. i can't see why some sort of backlight couldn't have been integrated.
    -while the alarm is fine, i really miss an hourly chime.

overall, not too much to complain about. and all analog chrono with the G-Shock heritage. and watching the hands/dials spin about madly when switching modes is pretty addicting.

pics:

Re: impressions on GW-3000 "Sky Cockpit"

Quote Originally Posted by RGNY View Post
    so, i've had my Sky Cockpit about a week now and thought i'd offer some initial impressions.

for a long time i've been wanting an all-analog G. i tried the AWG-100, but quickly discovered that i don't care for ani-digi mix and i found the hands too thin.

so:

-very legible, the orange on black color scheme works very well.
    -not to cluttered, you can tell the time just fine without having to tune out the subdials.
    -the limited 24 minute chrono has not hampered any timing needs thus far. given the "air race" theme of the watch, 24 minutes is a -long- time for such endeavors.
    -good sync'er. i live in upstate NY, USA and it has not failed to sync yet. it sits on a nightstand at night, about one foot away from an air conditioner.
    -the domed crystal seems quite thick, and i'm one of those strange fellows that enjoys some distortion at low angles.
    -band is wide and comfortable. not as velvety/soft as my Riseman, but the keeper doesn't move around and it has my preferred double tang buckle.

but:

-lume is just "fair". on par with my Citizen NY0040. i can't see why some sort of backlight couldn't have been integrated.
    -while the alarm is fine, i really miss an hourly chime.

overall, not too much to complain about. and all analog chrono with the G-Shock heritage. and watching the hands/dials spin about madly when switching modes is pretty addicting.

pics:

Dear RGNY,

Congratulations on your purchase! Yes this model is favorites among the G' member here. Nice big dials, sharp looking dials etc.

Not only that Casio has just recently release the non-atomic version G-1200B.

I am planning to get on probably this October.

Wear it in good health.

cheers,

yschow

Thanks for the report and photos. That looks like an awesome G !!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

congratulations to your GW-3000, this series is a looker for sure

I might would have bought the one with blue markers and bracelet, but unfortunately the lack of a CDT, only 24 min. STW and the domed crystal are total dealbreakers for me. well, maybe not so unfortunate - saved money for other nice things

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

JML

I got the blue one, with the ion-plated bracelet. It's the first quartz watch I've ever seen with absolutely perfect alignment of all hands and index markings. Very legible, and comfortable.

The lume is very bright for about 10 minutes after exposure to bright light, and then reduces in level. But it remains bright enough to be readable for 6 to 7 hours - overnight. I was very surprised at the length of time that the lume works. My Luminova and SuperLuminova dials stay bright for a longer time, but don't seem to retain enough luminosity for that long.
    Last edited by JML; August 5th, 2010 at 14:31.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

I've loved this watch ever since I first saw pictures. I'm glad that they are selling them in the US (I read otherwise). I'd love to try one on. Thanks for the review!

Also, just curious, but why do people quote the entire post with all of the photos?

since there are more comments, a little update.

yes, this is the only quartz i've ever owned where the second hand lined up with the markers -all the way around-. kudos to Casio for accomplishing this apparently nearly impossible feat.

i'm noticing, more and more, how high it rides off the wrist. it's certainly getting it's knocks/bumps, but it's G, so a little battle scarring is fine with me.

I had one of these lovely watches for a very short while; my brother pestered me for it the first week I had it so I let him have it.

I have a GW 2000 now which is equally nice although smaller.

The function set is fine on the GW 3000 if you are not wanting to do much heavy duty timing; it probably gets by for 99% of real world functionality.

My wife, who is used my rolex's, breitlings & omegas over the years, actually commented on how gorgeous this watch looked which is the only time she ever has remarked on a watch of mine! Amazing!

I think it wears smaller than it really is + I was also impressed with the hands hitting the markers spot on.

Enjoy your great watch.
    Current watches:

Casio GW-2000B
    Casio G-7710
    Rolex Explorer

JML

Quote Originally Posted by RGNY View Post
    yes, this is the only quartz i've ever owned where the second hand lined up with the markers -all the way around-. kudos to Casio for accomplishing this apparently nearly impossible feat.
    Amen! The analog Tough movement checks the alignment of the minute hand every 55-65 minutes. That would be great in any case, but if there was any slack in the system or misalignment then all it would do was keep consistent the error. There's NO ERROR in this watch.

What I find impressive is the rock-solid and totally consistent movement of the minute and second hands; there's none of the slack in the hands found on every other quartz watch I've ever seen, at any price, where the second hand (or even the minute hand) bounces or can move because of play in the gear train or gravity. These hands are well-damped, apparently. Furthermore, there are absolutely no visible inconsistencies with the second and minute hands aligning with the dial indexes, which means they took great care in the printing of the dial and assembly of the dial and hands.

The alignment is also perfect for the subdials.

For those who haven't bothered to read the instructions and are troubled by the day markers leaving out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, that's absolutely no issue when you see the watch in person. The zero and nine numerals in place of Monday and Friday are used for the stopwatch mode.

I could have lived without the 24-hour time subdial, and perhaps it would have been better to use that for the stopwatch, but it is consistent with the pilot/military theme of the watch.

The only thing I really wish was different is the bracelet. The spring bars on each of the removable sections are not easy to work with, even when using a Bergeon tool with the small fork. I have a small wrist, and I wish the folding clasp was shorter overall, so as to permit it to sit more flush. The ion plating seems very resistant to scratches, but from my efforts, and the jeweler's, to adjust the bracelet, it is clear that it can be damaged from a sharp enough tool or the edge of another section of the bracelet. [sigh]

The atomic time check works fine, but it takes longer to check than does my AWG-100, and, of course, there's no digital indication of the signal strength (it's either adequate or not, with the second hand indicating that). I don't see any way to turn off the automatic time updates, either, unlike the module in the AWG-100. And there's no way to turn off the power-saving mode.

And the blue version is more restrained than the orange. The outer bezel printing of "G-SHOCK" and "SHOCK RESISTANT" is gray, not orange or blue.
    Last edited by JML; August 5th, 2010 at 15:27.
    ** Aérowatch Pilot Chronograph ** Casio Edifice EQSA500B-1AV ** Casio Edifice EQW-A1200RP-1AER ** Casio ProTrek PRW2500-1A ** Citizen AT4008-51E ** Citizen AT8020-54L ** Filson Mackinaw Chronograph 11000310 ** G-Shock GW3000BD-1ACR ** Limes Cartouche ** Limes Nightflight Vintage Black ** Maratac SR-35 DLC-X1 ** Seiko Seiko SRPA21 PADI Mod ** Seiko SRP777 Mod ** Sinn 356 Flieger ** Stowa Flieger Classic 40 HW ** Traser P6506 Commander **

Quote Originally Posted by NoleenELT View Post
    Also, just curious, but why do people quote the entire post with all of the photos?
    Annoying, isn't it?

When it gets too screen-intensive I sometimes edit out the repeat pictures, but I don't have the time in the day to do it on every occasion.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information