Impromptu youth watch poll

Thread: Impromptu youth watch poll

Question Impromptu youth watch poll

I was wandering around a hall yesterday, supervising 130, 16-17 year olds who were doing a Mathematics exam.
    Just to pass the time I counted the watches, either on wrists or on the tables.
    Keeping in mind that no mobiles are allowed as watches or anything else, I counted a total of

130 students:

12 watches !

Now, this can't be right I thought. Must just be the Maths students, so I went today to an Art/Photography/Drama written exam.

126 students :

10 watches !

They keep time by a clock on the wall btw.

I know this has been discussed on here before but I thought some hard, if anecdotal evidence of the decline of the wristwatch amongst generation Y would be interesting.

Any thoughts ?

Re: Impromptu youth watch poll

This has been discussed some in an older post either in the public or affordables forum. I cannot remember what the verdict was but we discussed whether or not people were losing interest in wrist watches. While I don't remember much earlier than say the mid 90's, many of my friends didn't wear watches and from what I recollect, those who did were usually somewhat more affluent but this is anecdotal at best...

I have noticed that also. Over fifty percent of the younger guy's in the Army don't wear wrist watches, most of them use cell phone's to keep track of the time. Personally I dont get it. I like to wear an Instrument on my wrist. Cell phone's are nice to have, but it seem's to much like modern pocket watches that you communicate with. Also they are always asking "what time is it ", instead of pulling their phones out & checking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's ok...they're just a bunch of fat losers.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatt View Post
    I was wandering around a hall yesterday, supervising 130, 16-17 year olds who were doing a Mathematics exam.
    Just to pass the time I counted the watches, either on wrists or on the tables.
    Keeping in mind that no mobiles are allowed as watches or anything else, I counted a total of

130 students:

12 watches !

Now, this can't be right I thought. Must just be the Maths students, so I went today to an Art/Photography/Drama written exam.

126 students :

10 watches !

They keep time by a clock on the wall btw.

I know this has been discussed on here before but I thought some hard, if anecdotal evidence of the decline of the wristwatch amongst generation Y would be interesting.

Any thoughts ?
    I guess there is someone or some people in the institution that are dedicated and really took care of the public clocks.

Besides during exams, you have to follow the official exam timing. Not your own watch.

The place where I studied, the public clocks already showed 12'o clock at 1000hrs. Or some that would be 1100 when I entered class and the same when I left. I even had to resort to bringing my little alarm clock in my pocket and bag, to get some smiles from those who discovered me looking for an alarm clock in my bag.

Or and for many years I had this notion that clocks were more accurate than watches, as people with analogs were always setting their watch to some news clock or some big clock tower from a building etc.

Now I find even the house clocks are less accurate than an electronic digital video clock that only goes off if u turn off the power. Despite the title of "legendary Seikoshia clock jewel movement" OH hang on, I am deperately looking for that, but it seems impossible to find that movement. I have acutally replaced the clock with a no brand chinese made movement. The house clocks runs slower, and u notice it and have to reset them every 2 weeks.

However there will come a day when after 3 or 4 battery replacement all these Seiko or other quartz movments just DIE.

Depends if you want to be handsfree or phone dependent. Casio watch phone??? Then G shock watch phone?? Something which I am sure Casio is thinking about as Seiko already launched one that sold out in 1 day (actually within hours) in Japan. Here's to the Casio Dick Tracy.
    Last edited by BIG G; November 15th, 2007 at 08:42.

Thread Information