Impulse buy = My first G-Shock
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Impulse buy = My first G-Shock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Impulse buy = My first G-Shock

I guess I was just bitten. Upon recently acquiring an Omega SMP Quartz (black dial/bezel) and a Christopher Ward Malvern C5 automatic, with two Citizen watches rounding out my collection (an Eco-drive Blue Angels Skyhawk and a 13 year old quartz chronograph, respectively), I felt the onset of that "watch enthusiast fever". I thought my obsession would shift entirely over to automatic watches after I acquired the stunning Christopher Ward Malvern C5, but since I purchased this awesome GA-110 G-Shock during my trip back home I can safely say that my appreciation has been distributed equally between both mechanical and quartz.

I just kind of stumbled into the Casio "G-Factory" watch boutique back in my hometown in Canada. I've often looked over Casio/G-Shock sales counters with slight interest before moving on to the more luxurious watches, always thinking of myself of more as a "dress watch guy". I was always more inclined to wear watches that were versatile, yet functional or lauded for the brand (namely, Omega).

Once I stepped into the Casio shop, however, it didn't take me long to be bitten by the striking level of functionality and durability of the G-Shocks. This is easily the most functional watch I have ever owned, and it's such a comfortable watch to wear. I immediately went from wearing my Seamaster (which had me fretting over scratches during daily wear), to this very awesome G-Shock. What an excellent watch this is. It is astoundingly accurate in its timekeeping, and the World Time function became instantly usable during my travels. My Citizen Skyhawk (a gift from my father) has a very excellent world time function, but I was never the biggest fan of its style, and it always felt rather bulky and heavy on my wrist. The world time function on this GA-110 is easier to like because of the light, yet durable, build quality of the watch.

I chose an all-black color scheme, with the digital display placing grey numbers against a black background. I'm very much a guy who favors darker colors, so it was kind of a no-brainer for me, but at the same time I wish it was easier to read the display in the dark using the illumination feature. Not the biggest fan of the light. I wonder if it's easier to read in the dark using the illumination for a lighter digital display?

In any case, this impulse buy has turned me into an overnight G-Shock fan. So I'm happy to come here and share the news of my purchase with you seasoned G-Shock enthusiasts, along with some pictures I've just snapped! Hope you enjoy them!

Last edited by SolidChamp; July 12th, 2011 at 09:24.

Re: Impulse buy in Singapore = My first G-Shock

Never mind! Pictures are up in the original post. Enjoy!
    Last edited by SolidChamp; July 12th, 2011 at 09:29.

Welcome to the addiction lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm feeling it already. I already want MORE! lol

Here's a good question...is the particular "addiction" we speak of exclusive to G-Shock enthusiasts? Or to pose the question even more directly to the G-Shock fans in this forum: Do you find G-Shock watches to be more addicting than most other brands you've indulged in?

I agree the lights they use on these g- shocks are pretty much useless. I own two with the black background or negative display and two with the grey background or positive display theres no difference but I still love them. If you're looking for something with better illumination try any of the strictly digital g-shocks the use a completely different lighting system(like the old timex indiglo's) they're extremely bright and look awesome especially the negative displays.

Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the madness!

As far as this 'addiction' we speak of. I think it's amplified in a way for Shock-heads because the pieces are much more affordable than, say 'luxury' brands. So where an average Joe who has an addiction to Swiss mechanical watches will buy maybe 1 or 2 a year, the same Joe with a G-Shock addiction could buy 10-20+ times the amount with the same money. Accumulating a vast collection of G's is easy to do.

Taming the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality takes great inner strength.

*ohm... ohm...*

Quote Originally Posted by therabbitssing View Post
    Welcome to the addiction lol.
    +1 yea the best addiction

Quote Originally Posted by SolidChamp View Post
    Do you find G-Shock watches to be more addicting than most other brands you've indulged in?
    The watch virus I enjoy suffering from is a form that mutates, and my auto-immune system can hardly keep up. For me, it's not really about brands but 'themes' or genres. I've been looking at an awful lot of Russian watches just lately, and if I'm not careful I'll be buying three in a month. I've already ordered a book about them, and spent several hours yesterday researching the history of the First Moscow Watch Factory. A bad sign.

As has been said, the relatively low price of G-Shocks is a factor (as it is with Russian watches), plus Casio's near-continuous supply of tempting new variants and models.

If cost were no barrier, the Jaeger Le-Coultre and IWC variants of the virus would take me over completely...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I believed I finally got the pics to appear in the thread, but I'm not sure if anyone else can see them. Anyone get a look at them?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information