Interesting discovery regarding atomic reception

Thread: Interesting discovery regarding atomic reception

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting discovery regarding atomic reception

Heya *@*,

last night I discovered something about atomic reception which seems to contradict a thesis I read a few times in this forum - i.e. that the radiowaves can only enter a G-Shock through the dial - according to what I observed, this cannot be true.

Here's what happened:
    - 1st I need to mention that I live only ~200 km away from Mainflingen, where the german DCF77 longwave transmitter is located, so my Casios *always* sync regardless of where I put them in the house, with the one exception of very bad weather
    - yesterday I attached Maratac Elite straps to my new Pro Trek PRW-2000 (see: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=323254 ) - because the straps were quite stiff and uncomfortable, I decided to strap the watch around a plastic bottle with skin lotion (which is roughly wrist-shaped) for a while to pre-bend the watchband
    - to my suprise the Pro Trek did not sync that night (it always synced perfectly before)

I did some testing with manually initiated timesyncing today and here's what I found out:
    - both my Casios (see sig) with radio reception synced fast (2-3min) when placed in any position at the same spot where the Pro Trek strapped to the bottle would not sync
    - both Casios snyced when worn on the wrist and held at the above mentioned position (signal strength level 3!)
    - both Casios did not snyc when strapped to the plastic bottle and facing roughly north-east (that's where the DCF77 transmitter is)

Conclusion:
    A plastic bottle with skin lotion is radiowave-proof.
    Obviously the longwave signal does not enter through the dial only but also through the back and it can be blocked.
    I don't quite understand why simple skin lotion [1] in a plastic bottle has this effect and wearing the watch on your wrist does nothing to disrupt the reception.

Any ideas?

-Valynor

[1] Ingredients in order of occurence: Aqua, Dicaprylyl Ether, Glycerin, C14-22 Alcohol, Butyrospermum parkii butter, Sodium Lactate, Brassica campestris Sterols, Tocopheryl Acetate, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Potato Starch Modified, Xanthan Gum, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol
    Last edited by Valynor; November 5th, 2009 at 18:59.
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Casio Pro Trek PRW-2000-1VER
    Seiko SKX781K3 "Orange Monster"
    Casio G-Shock MTG-900D-2VER

Re: Interesting discovery regarding atomic reception

ummm...great news, I think...
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Miami, Florida - United States of America

Hello Valynor,

Your body is acting as an extended antanae for the watch, this will explain your reception of the radio signal when you wear it. What material is the new strap made of? How about the buckle? This may point to an explanation as to why it did not synch when you added the new strap. How many times have you repeated this particular issue? I am interested in finding out.
    --
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i think you have an observation. a conclusion is still some ways off.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    i think you have an observation. a conclusion is still some ways off.
    An interesting find, indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Urashima Taro View Post
    Hello Valynor,

Your body is acting as an extended antanae for the watch, this will explain your reception of the radio signal when you wear it. What material is the new strap made of? How about the buckle? This may point to an explanation as to why it did not synch when you added the new strap. How many times have you repeated this particular issue? I am interested in finding out.
    The strap is probably made of a composite of nylon mesh and baked together with some kind of rubber/resin. I don't think it has anything to do with the strap since the watch syncs fine when worn normally.

I just don't quite get why both my Casios don't sync when strapped to a plastic bottle with skin lotion and facing towards the transmitter, whereas they sync perfectly when worn on the wrist and facing the same direction. It's a little weird. :)

-Valynor
    'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Miami, Florida - United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    The strap is probably made of a composite of nylon mesh and baked together with some kind of rubber/resin. I don't think it has anything to do with the strap since the watch syncs fine when worn normally.

I just don't quite get why both my Casios don't sync when strapped to a plastic bottle with skin lotion and facing towards the transmitter, whereas they sync perfectly when worn on the wrist and facing the same direction. It's a little weird. :)

-Valynor
    From observation I can deduct that your body helps receive the signal for your watches while the empty plastic water bottles do not. If you wish to experiment and have the time to do so, purchase or obtain moldable copper wire that you can wound up around the circumference of the empty water bottle and try again. Make sure that the watches are near or have contact with the copper wiring.
    --
    "Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Check this post for photos dudegalea posted showing some of a 1300's bits, especially note the antenna size and ribbon shape. I marvel that an antenna that small size can receive a signal at my location over 900 miles distant from the signal source.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=211201

Konrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post

-Valynor

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

-- GK Chesterton

Is it orientation dependent? i.e., does it still happen if the watch is placed sideways or upright?

Would also love to see your 'n' value. Do it twenty times and I'll believe you

Quote Originally Posted by jegra View Post
    Is it orientation dependent? i.e., does it still happen if the watch is placed sideways or upright?

Would also love to see your 'n' value. Do it twenty times and I'll believe you
    Heh.
    It is somewhat orientation dependent. When the watch was strapped to the bottle moving it around made the signal strength indicator change.
    I didn't test it 20 times but enough to be sure of this:
    - watch just lying there in any orientation: always syncs, signal strength 3/3
    - watch worn on wrist and held still: always syncs, signal strength 3/3
    - strapped on the plastic bottle with skin lotion: no sync, signal strength 1/3 (flashing)

Removing the watch from the bottle made the signal strength jump to 3/3 after a few seconds, putting it back on made it go back to 1/3 (flashing).
    I'm not even that confused that the skin lotion seems to block longwave radiation better than the human body (for whatever reason) but I didn't expect that it would impact the reception this much since the dial of the watch is clear of any obstacles and even facing towards the transmitter.

-Valynor
    Last edited by Valynor; November 5th, 2009 at 19:54.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information