International Warranty?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Cognac0113
  • 3 Post By Shocker
  • 2 Post By yankeexpress

Thread: International Warranty?

Confused International Warranty?

Been on an itch lately and ordered 2 -JF (presumably JDM and authentic) Gs in the same week from two "reputable" merchants on Rakuten respectively that have been reported trustworthy based on my research in this forum. The first G that arrived last week came with an international warranty card and the merchant actually filled it in for me. The second one that arrived today, did not have the international warranty card.

Haven't bought from Japanese merchants before myself so would like to have some experience sharing since I am sure some of you have a lot of experience purchasing JDMs from Japanese merchants and perhaps can give me some insights. Both being -JF models of around USD$4xx, why did one of which come with international warranty card but the other one (actually, the more pricey one) did not? Does the availability of international warranty depend on the model or merchant?

Needless to say, I am outside Japan. The merchant pages did not spell out warranty terms at all, and I do have prepared for no warranty whatsoever, just that the different treatments here appear bizarre to me.

Both are Thailand-built 2013 released units.

Re: International Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by cbkihong View Post
    Does the availability of international warranty depend on the model or merchant?
    Whether international warranty is included with the watch is merchant dependent from what I've observed, and if it's not explicitly stated, it's likely not included.

Welcome to the forum!

Honestly, I think nobody really cares much about the warranty cuz your G is very most likely gonna outlast that warranty period..
    yankeexpress and nigelw like this.
    My Current Beater:
    Casio G-Shock: GW-2310FB-1CR

-=[My Pelican 1495; Home for my Gs]=-

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buying from Japan would only give you a warranty in Japan. But, as mentioned, who needs a warranty? That's why we buy G-Shocks in the first place :D
    yankeexpress, nigelw and Durp13579 like this.

A lawyer I know well calls a warranty "a license to fight"
    In other words they aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
    If it gives you "peace of mind" by all means go for it, otherwise wear you're G hard and don't sweat the warranty.
    Extremely few new G-Shocks will need servicing.

its not like a smartphone that will break if you drop it.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; December 19th, 2013 at 18:52.
    nigelw and Rocat like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

One of my g-shocks i bought from japan and shipped to US didn't come with an international warranty card, but the service center where I'm at did service anyways. Not sure if they're lax in your area but here they don't really care. I think internally the department that reviews service done under warranty will know whether to accept or deny service.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Indeed as an owner of several Gs previously all being local versions with warranty I have not dispatched any of them for service outside occasional battery replacement (my earliest G had a cracked bezel though, but it was after quite many years of usage and being an early G model) and indeed none of the service attempts were made in the warranty period. But of course, if the availability of international warranty is merchant dependent and the same G is available at roughly similar prices one with international warranty and the other doesn't, then of course the one with international warranty will give you a "peace of mind", especially once you start buying more pricey models then that "peace of mind" would become increasingly relevant.

I am pretty sure the official service center in my region will not honor warranty without documentary proof, though of course they will service, just at a charge so high you wouldn't want to pay for it. I'm pretty much fed up with the local authorized distributor when it comes to buying Gs so would like to buy from JP instead from now on if that works out and only visit the local distributor for service. That's why I am trying to get more experience sharing here.

Thread Information