International Warranty - Is it really International?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: International Warranty - Is it really International?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

International Warranty - Is it really International?

There is something that I don't quite understand.

How is Casio able to offer International Warranty but then if it comes to the US, limit the Warranty to purchases from domestic Authorised Dealers? Or am I wrong?

The reason why I'm asking, because some day I plan to buy a Casio Watch in Japan, but I want it to have warranty in the US as well.

Similarly, what if someone (could be WUS member) bought a watch that was legit bought overseas and then sold on eBay and thereby may have became a third party seller. If it was up to me, Casio would have to offer Warranty in such cases.

While I read about the US Grey Market Warranty, it still this does not make sense to me.

Also, please no misunderstandings, this is not about what is the chance for a Casio watch for needing warranty repair. My question is ONLY about a legal matter and NOT any technical discussion.
    Adam020 likes this.

Re: International Warranty - Is it really International?

Watches Warranties - Casio Support Page | Casio USA

From what I'm reading, if you buy outside the US, CASIO USA cannot and will not honor any warranty claim. I do not know why it is set up this way. But from the language their is no way around it. Perhaps they are hindered due to State and/or Federal laws.

Perhaps if the G-Shock you purchase in Japan has a G-Shock International warranty card, that would be a different matter. Would not hurt to call Casio USA and ask.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is my understanding, that International Warranty is offered as part of the purchase agreement. I suppose it means that Casio promises that it will fix the watch in any of it's service centers all over the world. But then it appears that while Casio Service Centers will honor the agreement in some countries, in other they won't. To me this does not make sense.

https://www.g-central.com/faq/#warranty

Looks like the big issue is whether or not the seller is and Authorized Dealer. So if you go to one of Japan's Casio store and you buy a watch, and there is a problem, you can get it repaired at CASIO USA. That is the way I'm reading it. Looks like the warranty hinges on the seller.
    WES51 likes this.

I have two things to add here. Once I was discussing something with Casio USA (NJ) and they suggested that if I bought the watch in Japan AND had an international warranty card, that Casio USA might honor the warranty. Nothing was firm or guaranteed here though, so don't put too much stock in that.

But more importantly, I've bought many many g-shocks from Japan, online. In some cases I got international warranty cards, in others I did not. Sometimes, the Japanese dealer would explain (normally on their website) that the watch had a 1-yr warranty but it is valid ONLY IN JAPAN. Some of those dealers went on to explain that in the event of a problem with the watch, I could send it back to them and they would submit it for warranty repair in Japan.

Not sure what Casio's official policy is on dealing with International Warranty Cards for watches purchased in Japan. Maybe there is some leeway in how they handle things, which maybe they could explain verbally...

If I were you Wes, I'd contact Casio USA and find out if they EVER honor warranties for watches bought in Japan - and under what circumstances. If not, maybe it would be best to buy from a Japan dealer who would help you in getting warranty service in Japan if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    There is something that I don't quite understand.

How is Casio able to offer International Warranty but then if it comes to the US, limit the Warranty to purchases from domestic Authorised Dealers? Or am I wrong?
    Easy, USA has the highest per capita number of lawyers per head than any country in the world. There'll be money at the root of the decision!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

OK, if I think about it more, then I believe it boils down to:

- IF the warranty is transferable at all
    - The time of the first/original purchase from Casio
    - Proof of that purchase (which in case of bulk wholesale buyer/reseller purchase is likely missing)

So in theory, if the warranty is transferrable, then I believe anyone who buys one or any multiples of one watch and has a clear proof of purchase should be able to sell the watch within the warranty period and the warranty should transfer to the buyer according to the warranty terms listed inside the box, at least from the date of the original purchase by the first buyer.

I guess among others that may have been one of the reasons for Casio to recognize and offer a generously broad warranty, when some of the newly released and as such clearly less than one year old Gulfmaster v2 watches developed a problem.
    Last edited by WES51; October 16th, 2017 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by WES51 View Post
    OK, if I think about it more, then I believe it boils down to:

- IF the warranty is transferable at all
    - The time of the first/original purchase from Casio
    - Proof of that purchase (which in case of bulk wholesale buyer/reseller purchase is likely missing)

So in theory, if the warranty is transferrable, then I believe anyone who buys one or any multiples of one watch and has a clear proof of purchase should be able to sell the watch within the warranty period and the warranty should transfer to the buyer according to the warranty terms listed inside the box, at least from the date of the original purchase by the first buyer.

I guess among others that may have been one of the reasons for Casio to recognize and offer a generously broad warranty, when some of the newly released and as such clearly less than one year old Gulfmaster v2 watches developed a problem.

So, your definition of "transferable warranty" is a warranty that moves with the watch, from one buyer to the next? Casio can probably answer that very easily for you. My guess is the answer is no, but who knows.

I will say though that the Amazon "Asurion" warranty DOES transfer in just that way, as long as the 2nd owner has the original purchase details.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    If I were you Wes, I'd contact Casio USA and find out if they EVER honor warranties for watches bought in Japan - and under what circumstances. If not, maybe it would be best to buy from a Japan dealer who would help you in getting warranty service in Japan if needed.
    That is good advice and indeed I think that Casio USA would honor the warranty.

When I started this thread I wanted to explore the legal grounds on which denial of International Warranty MAY stand and I believe to have found some important things to consider which I just most recently posted (posted about the same time with your post)
    Last edited by WES51; October 16th, 2017 at 20:34.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information