The Internet, Sijors and skillful photographers in WUS sell watches better than retailers?

Thread: The Internet, Sijors and skillful photographers in WUS sell watches better than retailers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Internet, Sijors and skillful photographers in WUS sell watches better than retailers?

To be frank, I would walk past some of the good watches out there as they would not even catch my eye, despite the best efforts of the salesmen or sales girls.

Even for Casio G shock displays I would just turn it over and over and not really notice or be looking out for anything.

However I found that trawling for watches thorough the internet, WUS (this is the worse as there is just to much knowledge base and alternatives posted ) where even the photos posted look even better and more professionally shot than the manufacturers official photo. I would tend to notice what are the finer points, and tend to get the watch that I would appreciate more, also have fun learning about them from WUS. Rather than buying first and then finding out later.

I know lots of guys particularly in America get pleasantly supprised at retail sales discounts, but that does not happen so often for me.

And then there is the other aspect of hunting down the watch form the internet......

What do you guys think? Retailers sell better to you or the Internet?

Re: The Internet, Sijors and skillful photographers in WUS sell watches better than retail

I find most retailers to be totally ignorant on what demand is when it comes to g-shocks and watches in general. Maybe it's a result of the internet or visa-versa the internet is the solution to the retail problem-- most salespeople have no clue the items they're hawking. Customer service is a dying (if not already dead) tradition in retail sales IMO.

I asked a lady about the features on a certain watch and she proceeded to go through the features as she pressed the buttons. Beep. "Uh, there's a stopwatch..", beep. .. "there's a countdown timer", I mean damn, I could have done that myself what exactly did I need you for??

So being that so many places on the internet gives you access to people who actually know what they're talking about(and are usually just as interested if not more so than you on the subject), I definitely buy more online that not.

Re: The Internet, Sijors and skillful photographers in WUS sell watches better than retail

i agree with the above post, most shop sellers dont have a clue, and depending where your living, can be a real rip off, all but one of my G's have been purchased on the internet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've bought all but two Gs off the internet. Most shops are too over priced, and I'm not really concerned about stuff like warranty for a G Shock. Even a lot of my higher price purchases come from the internet. Every German watch I've bought has come from an internet dealer, either straight from the maker or through an internet AD. I also buy watches from Eddie Platts at Timefactors over the net.

Every new Rolex, Breitling, Panerai and Omega I've bought from an AD shop, although I bought plenty of used ones off the forums. It depends on the watches value for me really, and whether a local AD for a brand even exists. In all but the earliest cases, I was influenced to buy through what I saw and read on the forums.

I agree that the internet has totally changed how I look at things. It's so much better to look at a real life picture of a watch on the forums. Watches very often don't really look like manufacturer pics. Most of us would've never had the opportunity to even see most of the German brands without the internet, except for maybe GO and Lange in the super high end shops. It's a wonderful thing, but it's cost me LOTS of money.
    Last edited by BruceS; February 19th, 2008 at 17:16.
    Wear what you like.

Buzzbait is responsible for me purchasing my Black Dawn Mudman and my PAW1300G. This site and some of it's members should get commision checks. If it wasn't for WUS I'd have quite a bit of money still in my bank account. :)

I have never made a decision based on a salesperson. Unless they own the shop and deal exclusively with watches, they rarely know what they are talking about. My buying experience is usually going to a store and looking at the watch. If I know it is what I want I lay the money down, if not, I take the model information find out more about it on the web, find a great price on the web, and order it there. If these department stores knew the money they lose as a result of improper or lack of training.....

being east of the mississippi - retail isn't much of an option for me. but i agree usually the pics i see here are better then anywhere else. and in some cases (buzz and sjors come to mind) better then real life

I agree with the original poster.

There are some G's which never took my fancy until I saw some great 'real life' photos of them here. The bland official pics are usually unimpressive.

"I asked a lady about the features on a certain watch and she proceeded to go through the features as she pressed the buttons. Beep. "Uh, there's a stopwatch..", beep. .. "there's a countdown timer", I mean damn, I could have done that myself what exactly did I need you for??"

MOST customers are even more clueless than the sales people. You're not one of them, but she probably thought you were.

Reality check here. Sales people are paid minimum wage or close to it. They aren't paid to care and they're not interested in watches or anything else they're selling. They're just there to scrape up enough cash to pay bills. Some of them HATE their job, wouldn't you?

I knew a knowledgeable guy who owned a small watch store. He did repairs and sales. When his competitors moved in he'd often fix the mistakes they made just doing battery replacements. They stomped him out of business, and they're even more clueless now than they were 5 years ago! I was at the sunglass hut to look at they're 50% off sale. (Where I got the white G-LIDE) as I walked in the clerk was taping some lady's watch back together and saying "take it to the jewelry store upstairs I can't figure out how to get the back on" . As I browsed the G section I found one where the back wasn't all the way on. They've been in that one . These are the people that killed the guy's small watch store!!! Also on another occasion I walked in there the clerk was ASLEEP behind the counter! I couldn't believe it He was ASLEEP!

A lady at the local drugstore didn't get the AC right on a Timex, the customer almost bought a new watch. I stopped her when I showed them both the AC .

It's one thing if you can't fix watches, but these people are SUPPOSED to know how. It's like taking your car to a mechanic who doesn't know anything about cars.
    Last edited by cdude; February 20th, 2008 at 18:03.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

To prove how rotten those sales jobs are consider this:

If you work at Wal-Mart you get an employee discount on top of their current low prices on G-shocks. Why doesn't anyone here do it? Cause it's a crappy job with low pay. I feel sorry for these people.
    SPROING!!!!

(oops! Time for a new watch!)

I don't think it's a crappy job with low pay, more like an easy job with no educational requirements. If Wal-Mart paid to train all the jewelry salespeople, don't you think their prices would go up? You don't get something for free. So, I'd rather deal with a normal person punching a 8 hour time shift and get a killer deal on a watch, than talk to some over-trained watch salesperson, and pay MSRP.

The pay has to do with a lot of things, but there have got to be 'entry level' positions. Not every job can come with 'high pay'.

I used to be a car-salesperson, and many times, people would walk in and treat me like dirt, expecting I didn't know anything about cars and that they were above me...WRONG. First, I'm a person and I'm human, so treat me as such (maybe we walk in expecting the person behind the counter to not know anything... and we get poor service because of that?). I'm an ASE certified mechanic, spent 6 years in the US Army as a mechanic, and have two degrees in the automotive field. One degree is a 2 year technical degree, and the other is a 4 year management degree. I could talk someone's ear of about cars, but I only cared to talk about what the customer wanted. I was trained well, and sold well, but it costs $$ to get to a level to do that. And that cost is always passed down to the customer. My customers could go buy the exact same car cheaper somewhere else...but didn't because I cared about what I did.
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information