An intro and a desire...
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: An intro and a desire...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An intro and a desire...

Hello all. I joined this forum for one reason. I am interested in getting a good G Shock. From what I see, if I do that, I am bound to begin a hopeless addiction. Nonetheless, I want one I do believe. I know that there are some amazing looking higher end G Shocks that would look great for executives (some of the MRG's for example...if I get some of the lingo wrong I apologize...I'm new to it). I wanted to get some opinions on something else though.

See, I'm in retail management and I want to look like a professional. The uniform I wear is a red polo-style shirt and black slacks, belt, shoes, socks and undershirt. I also don't have very much money to spend on watches. If I weren't concerned with a professional appearance, I really like the look of the 7900's. Those greatly appeal to me. The question is this though. What watch can I get that isn't much more than say $100 that still looks as though it could fit with business casual attire?

Thanks ahead of time and I'm looking forward to responses!

Also...mods...just noticed I mistakenly put this in the articles portion of this board. Please move it appropriately. Apologies...noob here.
    Last edited by jazzbone1031; March 7th, 2014 at 11:10. Reason: noob

Re: An intro and a desire...

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I moved the thread.
    For "business casual" I think a standard black square model like the GW-M5610 will fit - or maybe a GW-2310. It probably shouldn't be too large. A GW-6900 might also be ok.

cheers, Sedi
    Deepsea_dweller, Milos and alexs12 like this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

GD-350, $84.

Last edited by yankeexpress; March 10th, 2014 at 06:45.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I moved the thread.
    For "business casual" I think a standard black square model like the GW-M5610 will fit - or maybe a GW-2310. It probably shouldn't be too large. A GW-6900 might also be ok.

cheers, Sedi
    G-2310, $60. GW-2310, $82.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; March 10th, 2014 at 06:47.

Amazon has STW-1000 for $110. It's not a G-Shock but an awesome watch.

Last edited by yankeexpress; March 10th, 2014 at 06:30.
    Ottovonn and Milos like this.

I recommend the DW-5600e, which can be had for around 40 bucks on Amazon. It may be smaller than most newer models, but it has all you need -- countdown timer and stopwatch -- and is versatile enough to be worn with almost anything. Spend a little more for a GW-5000 strap, which is a more flexible and rubbery soft, install it on this baby, and you're set.

Name:  Casio_DW5600E.JPG
Views: 2520
Size:  173.6 KB

(not my pic, but it looks cool)
    Last edited by Ottovonn; March 10th, 2014 at 07:00.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

As always, I recommend ignoring all the helpful "this one's awesome!" suggestions (for now) and instead starting HERE: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/sta...ck-850524.html

(All G's are awesome, but they offer a WIDE variety of features you can choose between, which will help narrow your selection!)

You've already answered a couple of the basic questions as you start to choose your first G, like "price range" and "intended use," but there are other things to consider.

Almost all current G-Shocks come with a countdown timer, all come with stopwatches, one alarm, and are water resistant to 200m. Some models offer longer stopwatches and countdown timer duration than other models, so if you know you'll need a 24 hour countdown timer rather than a 1 hour, that will narrow your selection slightly. A lot of newer models can be set for a total of five different alarm times, with one having a "snooze" feature -- but if multiple alarms are something you're interested in, that will also make your final choice easier.

Under $100, you can still pick and choose among a lot of advanced features, too, such as solar power, altimeter, barometer, tide graphs, and atomic clock synchronization via radio waves. (Atomic means that under normal conditions in the US, Canada or Europe your watch should always be within a half-second of the "official" time, without the need to set it forward or back when DST rolls around.)

Under $100, you won't be able to get ALL of those features in one watch, but solar/atomic can be found on several models under that price point, as can tide graph with or without solar power!

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    I moved the thread.

cheers, Sedi
    I agree about the gw-m5610. it is around $100, solar atomic, small size, not goofy looking, and has a red border that will match the polo shirt without being over the top about it.
    Milos likes this.

I also recommend the square g-shock like 5600 series... i know some might look down if they only see wristwatch as a status symbol... but in my eyes, people who use g-shock are practical people... and practical people is good in my book =)

use wristwatches/g-shocks to impress and satisfy yourself-- not other.

goodluck buddy.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I'll second the GD-350 with negative display. Saw it yesterday on a birthday party and the guy who was wearing it wore a black suit. It looked amazingly good for such a chunky piece of black plastic (much better than some of the oversized Flieger style watches I saw as well) and due to the negative display, it has a serious, non-obstrusive appearance.

cheers
    Chrisek likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information