Intro - First G - DW-5000
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Intro - First G - DW-5000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Intro - First G - DW-5000

My name's Josh and I'm a new member here from Kentucky. I've been mostly a Timex and Fossil guy over my 31 years and just recently picked up my first G-Shock. As both G-Shocks and I were born in 1983, I kept my eyes open for a DW-5000. I struck pay dirt yesterday at the flea market with the unit below.

Name:  2014-01-31_20-48-24_639_zpsyofhmxem.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  86.6 KB
    Name:  2014-01-31_20-49-00_279_zps3mvoyiyq.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  61.0 KB

From my research, it looks to be an original '83 model with module 240. The band's in decent shape, but it doesn't have any Casio markings which leads me to believe that it's aftermarket. The case, caseback and crystal are in pretty good shape, although I haven't had a chance to get a battery in it to see if it'll work. It has the original flat head bezel screws, all four are intact and I'm not about to even look at them too hard. (I've read a few horror stories on here about those things.) I'm finding out rather rapidly that Casio made bezels and bands are super rare these days, so I may have to secure a Brazilian set for it until(if) a Casio set comes along. As it is, it fits my wrist pretty well and wears nicely.

I've got a 5600E coming from the 'bay for a daily wear watch; this one I'll probably save for occasional wear. Any thoughts/opinions/advice you could give me about this watch would be greatly appreciated.

Wow that looks fantastic! It is worth a few hundred at least. You said you got it at a flea market? How much did you pay? Be careful opening the watch. You don't want to damage the caseback. Also, don't wiggle the module around at all when you are changing the battery. The alarm spring can rub the paint off the inside of the crystal.

Re: Intro - First G - DW-5000

It was a local flea market; vendor had a rather large bin of odd watches. This one was beneath a layer of them, but was sadly the only G that I found. The vendor asked $30 for it, which seemed (at the time) to be a bit pricey for a non functioning watch. I'm glad that I didn't walk away now. I ended up getting it for $25. By the time I got it home, the bezel had crumbled in my hoodie pocket; seems that it had all the tensile strength of a dried out chocolate bar. I'm planning on taking it to a local jewelry store that services watches to get a battery installed tomorrow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to WUS, and congratulations on a nice find!

It sounds like you've certainly been doing your homework and finding threads about the DW-5000, like finding aftermarket resin and not messing with the bezel screws unnecessarily!

Quote Originally Posted by jrp316 View Post
    It was a local flea market; vendor had a rather large bin of odd watches. This one was beneath a layer of them, but was sadly the only G that I found. The vendor asked $30 for it, which seemed (at the time) to be a bit pricey for a non functioning watch. I'm glad that I didn't walk away now. I ended up getting it for $25. By the time I got it home, the bezel had crumbled in my hoodie pocket; seems that it had all the tensile strength of a dried out chocolate bar. I'm planning on taking it to a local jewelry store that services watches to get a battery installed tomorrow.
    Great deal you got. Be sure to warn the jewelers not to move the module around or press on it harder than necessary when changing the battery.
    jrp316 likes this.

What a great first post! Unbelievable price.

Welcome!
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Congratulations. That's a great find. If only we could all find such a classic watch so cheaply !!

Congrats on your find and welcome to the forum!

Good for you! Post photos as you go along. I'm definitely gonna start checking flea markets and such in my travels.

congrats on that grail, look´s pretty good, continue to show how the watch will progress

i´m always checking the flea market´s and none of it appears, but i got the strong, someone will have one:)

welcome to the forum

cheers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information