Issue with GPW-1000 GPS sync....
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Issue with GPW-1000 GPS sync....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Issue with GPW-1000 GPS sync....

Okay, so I have a weird thing going on with my GPW-1000s. (yes, all of them) When I do a manual GPS sync (for either Time, or T&P), the second hand stays at either Time or T&P, and never goes to "Yes" or "No," as it is supposed to in order to indicate whether the receive was successful or not.

This started maybe 2 weeks ago. At first I thought there was something wrong with my watch. Then I checked my other GPW, and it does the same thing. Both of them previously worked just fine.

Since getting my latest GPW, I found that the same issue happens with it too.

BUT -- the good news is that all of them ARE successfully receiving the GPS signal and syncing correctly with either Time or T&P. I have verified this. It's just that when the sync is done, I have to manually put the second hand back into timekeeping mode by pressing the lower left button. Then, when I check sync status, it shows "No," even though the sync has actually worked.

My conclusion is that something has probably changed in the GPS signal (perhaps a digital "flag" of some sort) so that the watch does not know to signal the receive OP as successful. I am HOPING this is only a temporary situation. But I have my doubts about that. If it doesn't change, I can live with it as long as I know the watches are actually syncing.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I can't be the only one having this issue....

Re: Issue with GPW-1000 GPS sync....

Hmm... I just went and woke up my two GPWs... both go to YES and then the second hand automatically returns to its job of moving along with every second... Since you might ask that, my watches are situated in Germany... maybe it's a regional thing?
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gripmaster View Post
    Hmm... I just went and woke up my two GPWs... both go to YES and then the second hand automatically returns to its job of moving along with every second... Since you might ask that, my watches are situated in Germany... maybe it's a regional thing?
    Thanks for checking Grip -- I was wondering the same thing about it possibly being regional. So I hope to hear from some owners on the East Coast in the U.S. and what their experience is..

The way you describe yours as working is what is supposed to happen, as you know -- and that's the way two of mine were working until just recently. Perplexing, this is. I haven't contacted Casio yet but will wait to see what others have to say on here first.
    gripmaster likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is due to the receiving of leap second on 1st june and 1st december every year. The receiving will take significant longer time. What the ts saw was the watch is still in the gps sync mode..

If the receiving of leap second fail or incomplete the status will be no.

You just need to leave the watch out there to do the gps sync till the status is ok.
    Last edited by hnx676; December 8th, 2014 at 02:34.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hnx676 View Post
    This is due to the receiving of leap second on 1st june and 1st december every year. The receiving will take significant longer time. What the ts saw was the watch is still in the gps sync mode..

If the receiving of leap second fail or incomplete the status will be no.

You just need to leave the watch out there to do the gps sync till the status is ok.
    BINGO!!!! As Inspector Clouseau would say, "The mystery is SOL-VED." THANK you!!

I do remember reading about the leap second operation in the manual, but didn't know or think to check that it happened at this time of year.

Guess who just spent 20 minutes standing in the dark on the deck at the back of his house, receiving leap second info??!! Yep, you got it. But now two of my GPWs are up-to-date and indicating "Yes" for the receive OP again! (the third I'll do later) One of my GPWs took about 9.5 minutes to do this, the other took about a minute longer.

In other positive news, my dog seemed happy to find that I hadn't totally lost my mind. (after I came back in) She was wondering why I was standing motionless in the dark, outside in the cold, with my left arm extended. At first she gave a few low, questioning barks, then just lay on the floor watching me with a quizzical expression.

Glad it all works out.. I did my sync of leap second on the middle of afternoon outside a customer place.. Lucky no one saw me standing there motionless for so long..
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Glad, I got to "read" about this little scenario b4 it happened to me ! :crying:
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
    Glad, I got to "read" about this little scenario b4 it happened to me ! :crying:
    lol Yeah, I understand that. My problem was twofold: first, I knew that the "Time" sync normally only takes 7-12 seconds; and also, I suffer from a severe lack of patience in most situations. So when doing a Time sync I was not waiting more than 20-30 seconds before giving up and putting the second hand back in its proper timekeeping mode. I NEVER would have made it to 10 minutes in the Time sync mode had the leap second issue not been mentioned!

It was funny though, when I got my RAF, I did a "T&P" sync, and after the usual amount of time, about 45 seconds, the hour and minute hands moved correctly to the proper time zone. I figured, cool, that's what I wanted! But then the second hand still pointed to T&P!! (waiting, naturally, to get the leap second info but I did not know that at the time) Anyhow, I do now and all is well again in GPS sync world.
    STEELINOX and Queen6 like this.

Both of mine quietly updated themselves, I don't check for the daily update religiously, just did T&P when I returned for Borneo end of November. Time signal reception is always a "bear" here in the city (Shenzhen) too much background noise and need to mess about too much finding right position at the right time. GPS on the other hand just locks on almost instantly, and most places I end up working GPS is the only way you'll get any accurate time sync, even still have my old GPR-100, definitely from a different era

Name:  GPR-100E-1VE-005.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  41.2 KB

Q-6
    STEELINOX and Time4Playnow like this.

Gosh, lots of affluent members here with $1000+ watches! Nice to know...
    Last edited by StephenWatch; December 10th, 2014 at 18:27.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information