It's huge, it's made in Japan and it's not a frog. What is it?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: It's huge, it's made in Japan and it's not a frog. What is it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It's huge, it's made in Japan and it's not a frog. What is it?

It's DW-002!

A year ago I placed bids for the yellow one with the velcro strap not expecting much, simply because the price was very affordable. When It hit the mail I couldn't believe how cool it was.

Since then, it has gotten much more wrist time than any other of my G's (even my beloved DW-6900's got a bit forgotten). Since then, I also managed to purchase some other DW-002 models. Here there are. I placed natos in most of them. The orange one, by the way, is a dye job using the blue/yellow variation.

Name:  CIMG2127.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  824.8 KB

Name:  CIMG2114.JPG
Views: 2323
Size:  742.4 KB

Name:  CIMG2115.JPG
Views: 1836
Size:  624.3 KB

Name:  CIMG2116.JPG
Views: 2127
Size:  571.6 KB

Name:  CIMG2118.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  619.4 KB

Name:  CIMG2125.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  579.9 KB

Name:  CIMG2122.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  536.8 KB

Name:  CIMG2124.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  567.1 KB

Name:  CIMG2126.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  826.7 KB

Name:  CIMG2128.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  762.1 KB

My camera skills still suck. But hope this post convinces some other forum fellows to give good old DW-002 a try. :)

Cheers,

G.
    desire68, ashwalla and garrapata like this.

Re: It's huge, it's made in Japan and it's not a frog. What is it?

Wow, I've never seen so many DW-002's together in one shot. They look to be in great condition, too!

Total Awesomeness! The DW002 is my favorite model (excluding the Frog, of course). I currently have three and one on the way. You're white Code Name is very nice and probably one the more rare 002 models out there. I know they used that one in the Lover's Collection around '97. And great work on the orange dye job. I'd like to know more about that one. What color was the bezel before you dyed it and how did you get the buttons to match? Great collection of a true classic G! Thanks for sharing!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    Total Awesomeness! The DW002 is my favorite model (excluding the Frog, of course). I currently have three and one on the way. You're white Code Name is very nice and probably one the more rare 002 models out there. I know they used that one in the Lover's Collection around '97. And great work on the orange dye job. I'd like to know more about that one. What color was the bezel before you dyed it and how did you get the buttons to match? Great collection of a true classic G! Thanks for sharing!
    Hi Tsip85!

The model I used for dyeing black/orange (center) was blue/yellow (right).

The buttons are still blue, but it is a very dark blue that matches perfectly IMHO.

I used RIT sunshine orange. Repeated the process 3 times until I got the deep orange I wanted (almost looks red in certain light conditions, but certainly it still looks orange when I put it besides my red DW-002).

The black I obtained is not 100% black, but kinda 95% black with 5% maroon. Which is pefefect for me, because as you see I already have serveral pure black variations, and this way it looks a bit different.

Hope this helps! :)

Cheers,

G.

The yellow one looks like the first BumbleBee´s camaro. lol

Go Team Bravus!!

Very nice. Thanks! I was looking at the small bezel piece over the recessed buttons thinking the buttons were orange. Great shade if orange you came up with.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

love the dw002.wish casio would re introduce them again.my only problem with this model is the milky haze thats always under the glass.ive owned 3 of them..some new,some in mint condition and two out of the three had this milky haze under the glass...why ,i have no idea?ive even stuffed one up and removed the lettering under the glass by rubbing too hard.seems as if the dw004 also has this problem too
    Attached Images Attached Images

garrapata likes this.

They aren't getting older, they are getting better. Nice collection.

The only problem that I have with the 002 is that it seems the compound used to make the bezel is different than other models. It is VERY hard to find an 002 with a bezel that has not begun to rot. Yet I've seen many 003s and 004s. For some reason, and it could just be my imagination, it seems that the 002 are more prone to rot away. However, yesterday I did discover where all the good 002s are at...eBay Germany! Too bad I don't speak German! The 002 seldom comes up on eBay here (at least, one in good shape) and when they do they seem to sell pretty high. Here's my two "babies." The modded one was my first G bought new in '97. After the bezel crumbled I sourced another 002 and stole the bezel from it, then modded it up. The yellow one I just recently acquired (from Germany, go figure) and it is mint! It is almost identical to my original, except the face plate is grey rather than white and it does not have the Glide markings on it or in the EL. It even came with the Bull Bars on it, which I moved over to my now black one.

garrapata likes this.
    Hook 'Em!!

These two succumbed to resin rot

Name:  0097.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  0113.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  81.6 KB

These two are all present and correct, I am quite fond of the DW002's. You're right, they're large watches, even larger on a double velcro strap!
    Name:  0119.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  0114.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  70.5 KB
    Last edited by dobber72; December 14th, 2011 at 17:36.
    garrapata likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information