WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I've been cheating on Casio

4K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Rocket1991 
#1 ·
I love Casio, however, my thoughts (and $) have been straying as of late to different brands, and (gasp!) a couple autos. I picked up an INOX, a Citizen, a Lumtec, and a Phoibos. I've seriously considered a bronze diver, a Direnzo 02, and a particular Gavox quartz but have held back. Before I buy, in the back of my mind I'm thinking are you sure you want to do this? What about that new metal square, or that next Oceanus?

It's been all Casio for a long time and I guess I want a taste of what else is out there. Honestly I've been impressed so far. Maybe I'll regret it some day, maybe not. I figure it's good to be well-rounded. Does anyone else peruse or buy non-Casio's on a regular basis, or once in a while even?

#11 ·
Can't blame ya.

I really like the Inox. It was solidly built, and crown action is nice and smooth.

I have been tempted to get the Inox diver, only if they have put good lume on them. I don't mean "ok" lume, I mean GOOD lume.
I have an INOX diver. I have not worn it lately, and don't remember what the lume is like, but I don't think it's above average. If you want I can check it out and let you know. But I'm real busy the rest of this week. If you PM me next week and remind me I could do that.

I have always bought other brands than just Casio. I buy 'mostly' Casio, but also sometimes Seiko, Citizen, and other brands. I'm a big dive watch fan. I have a really cool Bulova diver I like, as well as an Oris Aquis Hammerhead that I adore, plus several Citizen divers that are really cool! (And don't even get me started talking about Seiko. I have many of them!!). ;-)

IMO there is much to like out there beyond what Casio offers. I'm a huge fan of CItizen, not only of their watches but also of their customer service, which in my experience is great! I love Seiko too, and fortunately have not been plagued by the QC issues that some have mentioned. Either that or I'm not picky enough to notice them. That's a possibility. My Oris Hammerhead is one of my fav dive watches of all time. I also have one Vostok-Europe diver (made in, Lithuania???), that's an automatic with Tritium tubes. Very unique looking watch!

Despite all of that, Gs are still what I wear most of the time.

#6 ·
Before Casio, my love was Seiko. So, if I'm not checking out G-Shocks, I'm over at the Seiko forum where I occasionally post. I don't own as many Seikos as before, but I have two Seiko Tunas and I'm somewhat interested in the newest iteration of the MM300. Seiko Tunas, by the way, are among my favorite dive watches.

Also, I know it's crazy and sometimes Rolex gets a bad rep (I used to dislike Rolex for no valid reason when started out collecting watches) but I still want to own a Rolex Explorer. It's a long-time WIS dream of mine, so I often scour the classifieds and see if there are any impossibly too-good-to-be-true deals to be had on a 36mm model.

That said, I am satisfied not owning any super expensive piece at the moment and just browsing around. The urge to buy anything watch-related has dwindled somewhat after getting a lot of G-Shocks this year.

#15 ·
Before Casio, my love was Seiko. So, if I'm not checking out G-Shocks, I'm over at the Seiko forum where I occasionally post. I don't own as many Seikos as before, but I have two Seiko Tunas and I'm somewhat interested in the newest iteration of the MM300. Seiko Tunas, by the way, are among my favorite dive watches.
Hard to go wrong with Seiko. Had the green Alpinist, and a few other sarbs, etc. I've considering re-buying the now discontinued Alpinist again but too many other things on the list. I still hate myself for selling my Dad's green dial Seiko 5 he wore in the 70's-80's. He doesn't care, he's into Aragons and Invictas these days. BIG ones too. I have to pretend I like them when he shows off his latest QVC purchase lol.

#7 · (Edited)
Analog watch Watch Gauge Fashion accessory Measuring instrument

And I don't have a photo of mine, but one of my favorites is this "Citizen Homer" commissioned by Japan Rail as a standard issue for rail workers:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

I found mine in the lowest floor of the Shibuya Tokyu Hands, which is set up as a railroad memorabilia / antique shop. They had a drawer full of them in various states of wear, and the shopkeep let me sift through it for a bit to find a keeper. Mine is from Showa 51 / 1976.

#21 · (Edited)
View attachment 13526841

And I don't have a photo of mine, but one of my favorites is this "Citizen Homer" commissioned by Japan Rail as a standard issue for rail workers:

View attachment 13526863

I found mine in the lowest floor of the Shibuya Tokyu Hands, which is set up as a railroad memorabilia / antique shop. They had a drawer full of them in various states of wear, and the shopkeep let me sift through it for a bit to find a keeper. Mine is from Showa 51 / 1976.
Nice, man! I'm actually playing with the idea of getting a Ripley soon... Other than that I'm 90 % Gs these days, and even found myself giving away some of my others (to family, because, well, they should still stay in the family).
I do still keep a few non-casio, including the old Eterna handed to me by my grandfather, and my A-13a, which is both sentimental and totally and utterly beautiful.
That said, it is a very rare occurence that I wear anything that is not casio.

Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Jewellery Strap

Watch Wrist Analog watch Sky Water

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Wrist Turquoise Hand

#8 ·
Most of my watches are Casios. Either basic, G-Shock or Pro Trek. I do have some Citizen and Seiko watches that I've bought in the past several years. I also have a Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date (not pictured).

Citizen BV1085-06E

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Citizen AT8020-03L

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Citizen BN0100-00E

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

Citizen BJ2128-05E

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

Seiko SSA051

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

#9 ·
Most of my watches are Casios. Either basic, G-Shock or Pro Trek. I do have some Citizen and Seiko watches that I've bought in the past several years. I also have a Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date (not pictured).

Citizen BV1085-06E

View attachment 13526845
I love the clean look of this Citizen! It reminds of certain Hamilton field watches and some German watches like Damasko. That minimalist, yet bold dial is something that appeals to me a lot.

#19 ·
First watch I ever wore was a Casio, wore a G shock for over 1.5 decades consecutively.... a G-Shock mind you, as in one. My first post here was in this forum.

Since then I've tried a few other watches out and I do enjoy the mechanicals.

So, Casio is still and will continue to be a large portion of my collection but I do wear a large multitude of watches outside the brand.

#20 ·
I bought the Seiko Astron when I was already bitten by the Casio bug. I couldn't help it. I used to drool at the large posters that were all over the city when the first GPS Astron was introduced in 2012. The style, elegance with impeccable accuracy anywhere in the world amazed me. I was a lowly trainee then, it was out of reach financially by a long shot. When last year I was on the market for a more formal watch that isn't mechanical there was no question. I love the MR-Gs that have the same qualities (and then some), will buy one in the future, but very happy with the Astron.

#23 ·
I own probably 10 casios and love em for what they are made to do, but i dont find the charm in them that i find in seiko divers and divers in general.
Its stainless steel divers all the way these days for me, strapping on a resin G just feels a big let down to be honest.

But each to their own, im sure many feel the opposite.

I still check out Gs latest releases every month and an interested in digitals and the new tech, just not inspired to buy any atm.

#25 ·
Most of my watches are not Casio, although i do love and respect Casio.
It almost anything goes as far as i like style and find it interesting.
Often it some unusual and out of production old watch.
I illustrate it. Let say you thinking of getting Rolex. What Rolex it will be?
Investment like regular current or WW2 29 mm Rolex Victory?
For me it could be both but chances are WW2 original will win.
I strongly suggest to look at Independent and Wired. First is Citizen and other Seiko.
INDEPENDENT???????????
There are a lot of original brands out there , going rouge and not copy pasting designs which is fantastic.

#34 ·
I cheated one month ago too with this one :)

View attachment 13528793

Though I guess one drop (the Seiko Tuna) in a full glass(*) (my collection) cannot do much pain to the rest of the content :)

(*) I intentionally picked a "glass" of water and not an ocean because my collection is miles behind some of the ones we can see around here :p
Ive just got the same model, absolutely love it, congrats shes a beauty.

#33 · (Edited)
I am shocked, shocked ! I thought you and CASIO were the perfect couple.Whenever anyone asked me about you I told them you were true blue a one brand man.Yup, FergFour and CASIO were meant for each other. If you and CASIO can't make it work, what hope is there for any of us to keep it together with the brand we love in this crazy mixed up worrld ?https://www.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

#37 · (Edited)
Your not the only one! :-d
However, I will always love Casio and have them in my collection.

Attachments

#42 ·
I bought myself this Tissot PR100 to my 21st birthday despite of very hard times in my life. It was my only watch for over a decade and has served me very well. I wore it from every day duty to glamorous invitation only occasions to riding my single cylinder (jackhammer) enduro bike for tens of thousands of miles. It has many obvious scars from all those years and most recently it's crown could use some repair attention. I also consider a high accuracy module for it, but would have to do more research, if such module would fit in here.

Other than that I'm very happy with my 3x Casios. I see myself more of a one watch (as well as one everything else) guy and given 4x is already more than 1x , I don't plan to buy many more watches. But if I do it will be another Casio. I guess I'm hooked.

#44 ·
I bought myself this Tissot PR100 to my 21st birthday despite of very hard times in my life. It was my only watch for over a decade and has served me very well. I wore it from every day duty to glamorous invitation only occasions to riding my single cylinder (jackhammer) enduro bike for tens of thousands of miles. It has many obvious scars from all those years and most recently it's crown could use some repair attention. I also consider a high accuracy module for it, but would have to do more research, if such module would fit in here.

Other than that I'm very happy with my 3x Casios. I see myself more of a one watch (as well as one everything else) guy and given 4x is already more than 1x , I don't plan to buy many more watches. But if I do it will be another Casio. I guess I'm hooked.
I had my share of motorcycle accidents, mountain bike rides (20km at least) you name it. None with G-Shocks. Everything working fine. Simple Seiko and Casio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.